Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

10 reasons why I feel insecure as a Hindu, thanks to the Indian state

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by omya, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rajaraja Chola

Rajaraja Chola 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I accept if reservation is implemented its should be benefit weaker sections including all castes. Unfortunately ours is a caste based reservation model and not economical based model. If I am correct Economically poor do have welfare programs except reservation in jobs and studies.

I am a supporter of reservation but ending it in a gradual manner. It should benefit those who really need it. I mean those who are educated for 2 generations should be booted out of reservation irrespective of caste. I am an OBC. My dad and now me are educated. My son shouldnt have reservation. In this way the real weaker section could grab reservation.

2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    IMHO, the poor have no religion or caste. A poor is a real Da**t and must be helped by better off sections of society. How can we differentiate between a muslim or a christian poor with a Hindu poor. They all come from same culture and society. The so called OBC quota in my opinion shud be renamed as EBC quota-Economically backward class quota and let everyone irrespective of religion and caste get benefited from it and the economic criteria shud be the only deciding factor about it.
    SC in 1996 judgement had introduced economic criteria even for those who belong to SC/ST community and also only one time reservation rule for one family member but our politicians who draw multiple pensions from various houses fall outside this and their children will be denied the reservations so they have recently raised the creamy layer to INR eight Lakh rupees per annum. This means that a poor struggling to find two meals a day and a person earning 65K /month are equal.

Golden_Rule and _Anonymous_ like this.
  3. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sorry i could not find a thread to post, every thread having a meaningful discussion on religion is blocked.

Let me lay down whats the exact issue with Christianity in India. I grew up a christian , but my parents encouraged syncretism, where I was encouraged to learn about different religions and culture.

There are three distinct groups of Christians in India.

1. The Nasranis or the mallu Christians are the oldest . almost 1950 years of tradition, stable population over the years.

2. The latin Catholics of Goa , Karwar, Honnavar, Mangalore, Bombay, Bassein, and Daman , those who converted after the Portuguese invasions in the 14th century. (Again very stable population)

3. The Presbyterian and Methodist Christians of Mizoram, Nagaland, Mehegalaya, Sikkim and Manipur (Neither the British nor the Indian govt who cared about the welfare of tribals, these missionaries first got there and performed conversions late in the 19th century)

Now, these three groups do not indulge in active conversions. Those who join, mostly do out of free will or are pulled into it because of inter religious marriage. The problem with mass conversions is with US, Europe backed christian missionaries in the past few years, who are getting into naxal/tribal areas and places like Orissa, MP, AP where the local governments have totally neglected the local population OR missionaries have their own vested political interests through conversions. (eg. Kudankulam activists who were funded by foreign funds). If you recall a few years ago, tribals from orissa were dying from starvation and the only food they had was waste grain from govt granaries, mushrooms and mango kernels; the first to get to their aid, were missionaries. You know about the gruesome burning of Graham Stains and his two sons. In short, where the govt and hindus have failed, these missionaries have stepped in to grab the opportunity. The same is observed in slums in cities, where monetary promises are fulfilled upon conversion. It is illegal, but when the person is facing tough times, its but obvious he will choose the option that gives him the best relief.
    I have a personal experience; I was not even a teenager when I did my first mission trip in the Mahad district of maharashtra. They were a group of farmers without access to water, electricity and other basic necessities. All this after Maharashtra MIDC being just a few kilometers away (The pollution from MIDC completely fked up the rivulet that passed close to the village, their only source of water). There was a school with a single teacher who taught from class 1 to 10. Within a few years, our church helped set up a boarding school that gave basic education and technical training to the kids of these farmers, no one was asked to or forced to convert. There was strong resistance from local leaders and thugs, but they gave up and now the shelter has at least 200 students who are trained in computers and other basic skills. They had a landslide in 2006 and a few families were buried alive, the local authorities sent bulldozers after 2 whole days. The first people to reach there with essential supplies were a group of missionaries from Bombay.

India is a land of seekers and sages, where people have always been in search of their spirituality through Hinduism. Hinduism is based on the fundamentals of dharma and karma, there is no correct definition to what is the denouement of your own spirituality; it varies from person to person as to how they want to interpret it, as a result of which you can never have a 'correct' path to follow. A good example is Sri Sri with his Art of Living and Jaggi Sadguru with his Isha Foundation -- both are different interpretations of Hinduism. Additionally, Hindus make very little effort to promote or preserve ancient Hindu science, medicine, nutrition and all the good stuff that is universal truth and even other religions could easily adopt. Even today with so much of technology, one finds it difficult to get access to correct sources of ancient Hindu texts and getting hold of someone capable enough to explain their true meaning is even more challenging. All the so called Hindu groups are simply a gathering of uneducated, unemployed men who work like slaves for people who want to make money and squander funds. No one actually cares to promote the core fundamentals of Hinduism. Even as a Christian I find Hindu text fascinating because its old, vast, culturally rich and closely aligns with modern science. However, all the drama we see from people with the RSS, BD,VHP and other fake guardians of Hinduism, harbors insecurity that completely kills the enthusiasm to learn.To preserve and promote Hinduism, we have to go back to the basics, gurukuls and ashrams that stand for ancient education, not RSS et al who breed political and societal goons.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. mugundhan

mugundhan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @nair @Levina please close this thread. if possible update the forum rules, no religious topics

5. _Anonymous_

_Anonymous_ 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Kudos !! Absolutely brilliant summation of the present state of affairs in the community of Sanatan Dharm .

Its for a good reason that the temples of yore or the Gurus of the Sikhs emphasised community kitchens . In order for one to accept and understand the precepts of religion he ought to have a full belly apart from fostering bonds of brotherhood & building a fraternal community . The next step was to organise men and harness their talents into meaningful enterprise so that everyone was gainfully employed and the surplus wealth generated was used for the benefit of the entire society . That's how temples in south India functioned (& I assume the north too ) before the entire system was disrupted due to political tensions .

Let's consider the Sikhs .It's with great pride that they boast of one not finding a single Sikh beggar in India or the world . Any Sikh can walk into any gurudwara in any part of the world and be assured of a roof over his head and meals for 3 days and nights before the local community alleviates his distress if any . They're also called upon to contribute - both in cash and through their own labours in the running of the local gurudwara . All the above are articles of faith with them .

We see such instances in many communities across India irrespective of their religious affiliation viz the Jains of Gujarat , the Marwari trading community , the Lingayats in Karnataka essentially , the Dawoodi Bohra community , the Agha Khan's followers ( Ismaili Khoja ) community etc .

There's a downside to this too .DERA Sacha Sauda is a good example of that . While traditional Sikh politico religious organisations have been hijacked by the Jat Sikhs , the depressed classes have been particularly marginalised seeking refuge in such deras . Ironically , Ram Rahim was a Jat Sikh but I digress .

Unfortunately with the presence of a semi functional state , we'd need a lot more of such community initiatives if we are to get our economy revved up to 8% + growth over the next two decades and beyond , apart from ( and this is crucial ) hopefully educate and gainfully employ our youth in order to harness the demographic dividend which otherwise would become our worst nightmare .

Such initiatives sadly seem lacking at present .

Golden_Rule and vstol jockey like this.
  6. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Moving beyond the core fundamentals of religion itself, Hinduism is the only religion that incorporates teachings regarding the environment. All our woes of water management, waste management, drought, pollution, etc have ready answers in ancient texts, with examples of successful implementation of those ideas demonstrated repeatedly. Where is this knowledge going? For example, they want to link rivers, spending thousands of crores when our ancestors had solutions that were extremely simple and far more effective. The Ganga in her current state, are you still going to blame other faiths for reducing a sacred river to a giant sewer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.