Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

A monster roaming the world

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by karan.1970, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Hit Smith

Mr Hit Smith 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

They are playing Both Sides :tdown:

2. illuminati

illuminati Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Yes, they actually offered to do just that - recognize Taliban and pay them for Laden, but the Afghans were playing good hosts.

And isn't this the main reason why Pakistan is being offered aid? If Iraq wasn't invaded and Bush would have been still around, they'd have invaded Pakistan, I assure you.

3. ek_indian

ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Did someone say poverty as a reason behind terrorism??? My brain stops working here. :alcoholic:

1 person likes this.
  4. illuminati

No, as one of the reasons. Besides, it's an acceptable generalization. It's much accurate to say that poverty breeds (potentiality) terrorism than to say muslims are inherently terrorists - or Hindus are terrorists or whatever.

In South Asia, I think this assertion is factual - but I doubt this general statement may apply for the Israeli/Palestinians.

However, isn't this what the suicide bombers of Palestine claim? That they blow themselves up because they can't afford Israel's military equipment? How blind can we all be - the truth is so apparent, yet we manipulate benchmarks and data to suit this hypothesis that somehow these people are rich and wealthy and how they do all of this willingly.

Oh yeah, my reply to you on that 3 point note you made was deleted... after the site went down, and am too lazy to retype or re-reply. Just thought you'd like to know.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  5. Bang Galore

Bang Galore Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Didn't know Osama Bin Laden was poor. Poverty may provide the cannon fodder but you still need an ideology that gets people to commit terrorism in whatever form. India has been poor for a long time but terrorism has not run amok. That generalisation is simply without basis.

1 person likes this.
  6. illuminati

You're right - son of a construction magnet - didn't know he was commanding an army made up of millionaires too. Prove it.

7. Karthic Sri

Karthic Sri <b>STAR MEMBER of the MONTH</b> SENIOR MEMBER

Prove that poverty is related to terrorism. And by proof I mean some definitive research and not your hypothesis (I dont care how viable it sounds to you) coz it doesnt seem a viable hypothesis to me. Rather it sounds like a weak-kneed defence of the Terrorism and the Terrorists that only because thay are poor they are indulging in such activities.

And genius , I did not know Lebanon or the West Bank is considered a developed part in this world.

Moreover I did give an example wrt India when I said the accused in the serial bomb blasts in Bangalore, Ahmedabad etc were well-educated software engineers worlking in Wipro and not some madrsah educated jihadi next door.

Accept it - it is not povery that is making people go blow up things shouting Allahu Akbar. Its the warped idealogy and the promise of the 72 virgins that you can screw for ever that makes them do that. Its not the money, rather its the afterlife in heaven and the sense of service to the religion that makes the terrorist do what he does.

No need to stick in denial because until and unless you come our denial that itrs the basic inability of religions, in particular Islam in recent times, to co-exist with each other and the desire to establish a Caliphate that is pure of infidels that is the basic cause of terrorism these days.

p.s.:- The US tried that too. Bribing the Taliban to win the war. but it did not fructify - the money was used to buy weapons to fight the US. The Talibvan on the whole make about $400million a year from narcotics and still they are fighting. The Maoists make about 2000 cr INR a year from illegal mining. Yet they are fighting. If money is the only reason why took up arms they ought to have put them down once they got the money. And yet they have not.

Its the idealogy and not poverty that is the backbone of Terrorism these days.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  8. G777

G777 Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

To I will try not to be tempted to fire a firework into that lot.

Kidding guys. However that is a heck of a lot of money there.

So the terrorists want to take over Pakistan for the nukes? Big Idea but not possible. Its like me getting a few giys together and making homemade weapons trying to take control of my own country. It will never happen.

9. illuminati

I took the time to render your hypothesis null, and you talk and slide and duck with this rhetoric? You think I can't see your limitation with rhetoric? This is bollocks. Don't give me that nonsense above. The least you could have done is read my white paper and then replied in the same manner after taking some time reading it. But no, you're Einstein incarnate, no need to read there... you are born as the deity of knowledge.

Nope, the burden of proof is on your shoulders. If you, for all your empty talk, bothered actually reading the above, I have clarified:

(i) Poverty is one of the the factors of violence, potentially a primary factor given the irregularities your hypothesis brings (refer to your paper) when poor countries in Latin America and South Asia are included

(ii) You lack certain standard definitions of wealthy and educated - are you absolutely certain that all terrorists are graduates, who might, probably pass an Oxford/Cambridge level literacy test, perhaps their GCEs?

That is some assumption pal - you have a lot to prove indeed. So, the madarassah entrants are educated, oh wow. On retarded people would call people earning 1,999 dollars annually in the average (Palestinians) 'wealthy'?

I am sorry, but Americans have a 40,000 average, Palestinians have had diminishing real income hinging at about 3000 per capita...

Are we stupid or something? How are they 'wealthy'?

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/we.html

Besides, basic science dude, the skeptics judge (me) and the believers prove, or are you going to change that to suit your convenience too?

And, even if I did invest my valuable time into proving this paradigm, you won't understand it, you know that and I know that because I doubt you have written a white paper or are even in the habit of reading it, just learning how to throw it on people doesn't help (I have published some at MS level). So, believe what you want, as I said, your education is not my responsibility, it's yours. If I hadn't seen how badly you use academics in an argument, I might have tried, but forgive me for generalizing, I don't think it's worth the time. Since, the paper I provided isn't enough... because of what, it doesn't fit your inference? Absurd...

This position, as you've spurted out, stems from your inference, the burden of proof is on the person with the inference not the person denying it. But, I doubt you'd know that, for someone ridiculing others, you sure lack that bang Mr. 'genius'.

Google is your friend, go search for papers like you've done so far - don't waste my time with b/s like that.

Show me more papers and we'll talk, I am not interested in your opinions, as you aren't in mine.

10. illuminati

Mr. Karthic,

I know you lot aren't accustomed to reading - it's ridiculous. But here you go, take your time and tell me how your inference fits the bill. If it meets expected standards, I'll respond otherwise, don't bother.

Oh yeah, this was published on the Science peer review journal (google what that is). And buckle up your pants.

I have done some search, couldn't find your references in JStor, though there are people referencing and have cited it at Kennedy School.

This article (your) has also appeared on the New York Times (smaller article, similar hypothesis)

11. illuminati

Not that it matters when you deal with nukes (academic white papers), fireworks don't matter until they fire on your face, so you tend to step on it to avoid this face-business. Most of the arguments, goodness. I thought the white paper business would really be challenging but well, quite a disappointment.

I don't think they taking over will be possible, because these are like criminal elements, even Pakistanis are hardly that stupid to allow such a travesty to occur. If there ever was a possibility, it's probably (nuke to terrorists business) going to happen in the Balkens or the former Soviet satellites ... even Russia today is far bigger of a threat for nukes getting into the open market than Pakistan.

However, if things go as they are going there and Pakistan in the next 5 years indeed becomes a Somalia without government control, then that's it. Besides, their military, as much as Indians would hate to want that, is critical for Pakistan's stability. Though partially stupid and partially capable, Pakistanis need a strong military, as do India and the rest of the world.

Pakistan = Somalia = bad Indian neighbourhood = a more radicalized India = rogue nukes.

12. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    One thing you will have to admit at least America is doing something. Thats more then I can say about some countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.