Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

A thread seeking educational/career advice.

Discussion in 'Education & Research' started by A_poster, Jul 27, 2017.

1. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Hi,

I am thinking of doing M.Tech (Mechanical engineering) with aim of getting a decent paying job in one of these fields:

(1) Defence.
    (2) Space Tech.
    (3) Artificial intelligence and robotics.
    (4) Nanotechnology or Biotech.

Doing major from which subject (Thermal,Design,Production) would be beneficial for me? Are there even jobs available in these fields in India? Are there private jobs available (I am eligible for ISRO, but not for DRDO as I have crossed age limit for DRDO exams)?

And finally, Should I even try for M.Tech/Technical fields? I was an average student in Engineering (never failing,but also not been a university topper) from a good government college (not IIT), but I also was competent in multiple disciplines -History,Polity/constitutional law,Economy,Psychology etc, which I think would be of no use in Engineering. I am also concerned about prospects after doing M.Tech as research is not big in India.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Dagger likes this.
  2. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India
  3. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India
  4. Golden_Rule

Golden_Rule Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

First and foremost, you should know your passion. This will keep you happily engaged in what you do for a very long time.

Next, for sure, India will be moving ahead in the arena of science and technology at a fast pace. With the diversity of talent in non-technical fields along with a mediocre attempt in your Bachelor's degree, I think a field like Marketing or Sales or Project Management would be more suited for you. Results driven R&D require very intense multi-disciplinary talent as well as very high self-drive and collaboration with peers in inter-related fields of systems integration. You should be the best judge to evaluate what kind of skills you really have and the passion which will keep you going good for a long haul.

Cheers.

5. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Just follow your passion man. I always thought you were more interested in history and stuff. You can make a good historian, someone like @Joe Shearer.

6. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India
    Thanks.

I was thinking the same. In any field I venture, I have higher utility in mid to top level management, or in field that need integration of various disciplines ,both technical and non-technical, but getting starting position is difficult. One of the reason why I am considering a career in AI and Robotics is that the vastness of my knowledge base would be useful in predicting the difficulties that would arise in a design due to factors extraneous to design. Else I would prefer joining ISRO or even DRDO (if age permits.I have crossed age limit for B.Tech entries in DRDO).

My academics and Engg competency is satisfactory. I am circumspect of doing M.Tech as (a) GATE is an unpredictable exam, while seats in IISc and IITs are limited. You need to be withing top 500 ranks to get one (b) Prospects. I could be left in worst situation after doing M.Tech, than I am now, if there is no demand for research fellows when I pass out. My Engineering discipline is Mechanical so it is not like I could start a start-up with little funding like a computer engineer can, as any company/start-up in Mechanical would need big funding.

Golden_Rule and Nilgiri like this.
  7. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India

I do not have a degree in History,so I could not do MA in History from most colleges. Also, It is not like I dislike other fields ,including engineering.

I have more of a problem of having scatter plot competencies in various fields, rather than having a specialization in one. I have seen GATE papers. They seem easy, but unpredictable too.

8. SrNair

SrNair Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    You should have passion in respective field.AFAIK ,these highly academic scores is only good for earn a job in IT with high cut off.
    Look at IES , all they need a degree ,but your eligibility will be evaluate by the UPSC even better than IT companies .
    And there is plenty of cases where the candidates that only have just pass mark crack these exams .
    This is for job
    You should enjoy your subject .
    But for R&D in Defence and Space ,I think better scores and aptitude would be necessary .
    Mtech from IIT would be helpful .
    Because this is a field that you have to sink all of your mind

A_poster likes this.
  9. Bombensturm

Bombensturm IDF NewBie

@A_poster How about a masters in Mechanical Engineering abroad?

Germany higher education is fully free even for international students

The catch is you would have to learn German. (which if I recall correctly you already are fluent in)

The benefits are, you can search for a job for one year in entire EU before your stay permit expires.

A_poster likes this.
  10. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India

I am not fluent in German,but I have functional knowledge of German. Could become fluent in 6 months, if needed.

I have tried that route. Have interview next month for IES. The problem is the more I come to know about IES, less I like that job. I frankly think working for ISRO, DRDO, BARC, or any foreign research institute etc is much better than working as IES. I was planning on sitting in GATE and doing M.Tech thus going into research field. To my horror,my GATE exam bombed this year (rank 18000 something) because I overlooked the fact that last year GATE had banned handheld calculator and introduced a digital calculator, and by god, the hell of a calculator it was. They probably picked it from 1980 and it had to be used in a strange way which I did not knew (like how to raise powers, trigonometric functions have to be computed backwards) and I got all question for which calculations could not be done by hand, wrong.

This is what shook me. I thought of GATE as an easy exam,but still got blindsided by it. Thus I wanted to know prospects in research field,if something goes wrong on exam day next year too, and I am unable to get very good rank (less than 100 which would get you in IISc or IIT-B) and has to take admission in newer IITs or NITs. Day after tomorrow, I have interview in Coal India which also made me wonder what I would do,if I am not able to clear any big exam (including interview of coal India) due to stress and anxiety on the eve of exam.

Angel Eyes and SrNair like this.
  11. SrNair

SrNair Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    So you have cleared Engineering service examination ?
    Good
    I think you will have opportunity to continue your R&D even after you got IES .Govt have special scheme for it .One of my friends friend was doing PHD when he landed in Railway job .Now IR is helping him to continue his PHD .

GATE is a serious shit .
    If you want your dream in BARC ,DRDO etc you have to clear the GATE in flying colours .
    One of my friend was doing GATE coaching when he selected in HAL as an engineer.

A_poster likes this.
  12. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India

If I could clear IES interview or Coal India interview, I too would go for higher studies later on. I am not sure whether anyone ,except Railways (for which you need good rank even in already miserably small IES pool of less than 100 selected candidates) in IES or Coal India would support further studies, especially since most departments have very little use of core engineering. I am more worried as to what would happen if I clear none of them. As there is a saying in Hindi: Jab musibat aati hai,chappar phad ke aayi hai. When hardship comes, every shitty thing that could happen, happens (Murphy's law)

I am not eligible for DRDO (age limit 26) and probably BARC too.

SrNair likes this.
  13. NOODLER

NOODLER FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I have friends who were average students during their undergrad, but are now working for Tesla/Boston Scientific/Mercedes etc. Some who were front bench toppers are still stuck in TCS and Infosys , albeit in senior positions. Select what you love doing and you'll go places. You have cited different fields of engineering as your interests. Here is my 2 paisa's worth.

If you like programming electronic circuits and working with logic , go for robotics
    If you want to work in bio fluids/nanotech/tissue engineering/medical devices, do biotech (Not well developed in India)
    If you want a secure job with few challenges and little motivation, clear the gate with a good percentile and join a PSU
    If you are working on electronics/sensor integration or cryogenics/nanotech/composites - ISRO is a great place (since you mentioned defense & space)
    If you want to be a part of the ever expanding renewable energy task-force - thermal engineering is the thing
    If you are keen on composites/multi axis machining/automation/additive manufacturing/superalloying etc - you'd be good with a manufacturing/materials related course (Germany is the best)
    If you are keen on process management - look at NITIE or industrial engineering courses in USA along with something like the six sigma certification (this by far fetches best jobs in technical-managerial positions with higher pay than someone who is purely technical)
    If you remain in india for a job, the only industry that will have good growth is the software industry or MNCs like TATA/L&T. After some time you will need an MBA to climb ranks.

Germany is your best bet, followed by USA and UK for a masters or a PhD in engineering . An M-tech from IIT will fetch you a good 9-5 job in say TATA or Reliance (nothing spectacular as the real products of IITs are Btechs and not Matkas aka mtechs) I had two attempts for gate in mechanical and scuffed both chances, its not the end of the road. I have friends who gave 4 attempts and still did not get high scores.

If you have A2 level proficiency in german, if your grades are good , apply to german institutes and you will have a great learning experience. NO one, I repeat NO one can match the efficiency of the Germans. It is a part of their culture. For Biomed/tech , universities in USA are the best. With thermal engineering, your options are vast.

Beware of aerospace engg - jobs are not easy to come by because no new aircraft are being produced and the various processes within the industry are heavily outsourced. Likewise, the research on aircraft engines are focused on acoustics and metallurgy, and nothing overtly innovative is happening there too. When you mention aerospace engineering on your resume , HR/recruiters think you only build aircraft and rockets and nothing beyond that.

PM if you need more details.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Golden_Rule and A_poster like this.
  14. NOODLER

NOODLER FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I have one more advise for you - If you post your career doubts on a public forum, people will recommend a thousand options and you could get misled. At the end of the day, you have to do whats best for you and only you know what it is. I am a mechanical engineer myself and took too much 'free' advise from several people before making my decisions. As a result, I had to learn the hard way by getting my fingers burnt and my a$$ scraped. Your best advisers are students pursuing post grad, employees of the companies you wish to work for or your seniors

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Golden_Rule and A_poster like this.
  15. Golden_Rule

Golden_Rule Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Besides DRDO & ISRO, you do have a lot of Indian as well as foreign companies based in India - like Tata Advanced Systems, Reliance, sub-systems manufacturer - the one owned by Kaura ... I think several of them, not able to recollect their names

A_poster likes this.