Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Agni-2 test fired today!!

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by Green Hornet, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firemaster

Firemaster Captain STAR MEMBER

[​IMG]

I m talking about this

2. A haseeb A

A haseeb A Captain SENIOR MEMBER

There are only two big ones...look again,before launch...

[​IMG]

3. Firemaster

Firemaster Captain STAR MEMBER

ok I thought it was launch Pad.
    Perhaps my error

4. Rudrakx

Rudrakx Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

I want to ask you a question, tell me advantages of disposable TEL ?

Transporter erector launcher

Launcher can be reused, in Iraq war 90-91 , Iraqis were transporting scuds from school buses to reload launchers , link

5. Rudrakx

You are the one who came up with Pakistani missile picture showing it doesn't need support !

6. A haseeb A

So what?...all that was asked was for a picture of an IRBM not using a side mounted rail launch...And since Shaheen-2 is very much similar in capabilities to Agni-2,so I posted its picture...

You should've told me,that you are allergic to Pakistani missiles...

And BTW the issue is very much resolved,so no need to spur it up again...

7. A haseeb A

No,no,no...no!!!

You've got me all wrong...A TEL is very much resuable,and it is too expensive to be disposed off after just one launch...

In Scud series as well as Pakistani missiles,there is a small launch pad attached to the rear of the erector,on which the missile firmly stands...that is the disposable part,along with the protective metal plates on the rear of the TEL...

They can be easily re-installed for further launches from the same vehiclel (TEL)...

8. Rudrakx

Agni 2 prime will have overall (range, weight, accuracy) advantage over Agni 2, if Agni 2 production facility can be used effectively to produce prime with out much modification then prime should replace Agni 2 , because setting up separate facility is not cost effective.

9. Rudrakx

No need it to be disposable, its fairly easy to design those pods heat and load resistant. If you are aware of metallurgy then you will know it.

10. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden Captain STAR MEMBER

Their seems a general procedure followed for colour scheme for different stages of test in Indian Ballistic missile program, especially the Agni and Prithvi series of Ballastic missiles.

For test launch: Orange stripes on white paint

[​IMG]

for modified versions test and operational missiles those which are subjected to improvement program: Matt maroon finish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deployed and operational missiles with no improvement plan upon the current version: regular camo
    Military camo
    [​IMG]
    Air force camo
    [​IMG]

Agni II Prime with a modified second stage have dual colour scheme: White/Maroon- second stage
    [​IMG]

I don't know whether the launch of Agni II Prime and Agni III had a tilt launch but, afaik test missiles are diverted towards sea, just in case the missile malfunctions it fell into the sea waters rather then putting the test range on fire by directly descending upon it, A procedure even the Russian used in her Naval vertical tube launched missiles. Not that full vertical launch don't happens, no report suggest that all missiles are tested on a slightly tilt manner, maybe the first one or two launch happens in a slight tilt manner for a safety purpose.

11. A haseeb A

I'm not an expert at metallurgy,but I do know that the blast of gases have a temperature of approx 2000-3000 degrees celcius (I'm not sure)...but the temperature is high enough to do permanent damage to the launch pad...

If more and heavier metals aee used,it would make the TEL a bit slower...I think...

12. A haseeb A

@TBL...I got ur point about the color schemes...quite informative...

But about the angle,I don't think you are giving the right reason...

BTW American Trident SLBM boosts from the surface of the sea at less steep angles,probably 60 degrees...

13. TereBinLaden

The replacement might happen only after Agni II batch retires till then both of them will be used no replacement.

14. TereBinLaden

SLBM can be termed as a totally different ball game,

Coming back to point, I don't posses enough data that indicates a missile is launched in a tilt manner, but it is for sure that the missile are being diverted towards sea to prevent a possible catastrophic damage to the test range in case a test missile malfunction.

One of a latter missile didn't perform well and began to decent just after its lift, it hit the test range walls towards the sea water but the test range was saved, as the launch was diverted towards the sea, I am not recollecting exactly which missile it was.

15. Rudrakx

why not to manufacture better missile with same facility if it allows !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.