Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Agni Series Missiles News And Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by CONNAN, Mar 9, 2011.

1. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Tech Glitch:Agni-I Night Launch Postponed

[​IMG]

The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of the Army had to postpone the first night user trial of surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-I reportedly due to a technical glitch in the launcher positioned at Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast.

Earlier, the Armed Forces had planned to test fire the missile in full operational configuration in between 7 pm to 8 pm. Accordingly, the missile was integrated with the launcher and countdown had begun. Defence sources said the countdown was stopped midway following a snag in the mobile launcher.

While the missile was to be tested for the first time during night, DRDO scientists were eagerly waiting for a successful launch of the missile to prove that the weapon has the capability to be fired from any kind of terrain anytime.

“The test has been postponed. Scientists are working to fix the problem. The test is likely to be carried out on Wednesday,â€￾ a defence official said refusing to divulge the details about the technical snag.

All tracking systems along with radars and telemetry equipments have been put in place to capture real time data.

There were considerable improvements in its re-entry technology and maneuverability since Agni’s first trial. This test will reconfirm the technical parameters set for the user and check the Army’s readiness to use it.

More Info

2 people like this.
  2. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Re: Tech Glitch:Agni-I Night Launch Postponed

Does it not work where the sun dont shine?:sarcastic:

Indian Jatt likes this.
  3. kaku

kaku Major IDF NewBie

Re: Tech Glitch:Agni-I Night Launch Postponed

Its not about missile, its about the equipment which need to keep track.

4. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Defence News - What went wrong with AGNI-I ?

Postponement of first night trial of nuke capable ballistic missile Agni-I following technical snags in the system raised eyebrows of many. Defence experts pointed fingers at the faults in the inertial navigation system.
    Postponement of first night trial of nuke capable ballistic missile Agni-I following technical snags in the system raised eyebrows of many. Defence experts pointed fingers at the faults in the inertial navigation system (INS).

After an abortive mission on Tuesday, the 700-km range missile was ready for the test from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast on Wednesday evening. But the officials of the strategic forces command (SFC) were forced to put off the test for indefinite period reportedly due to some technical glitches in the missile system.

[​IMG]

The test was considered ‘very crucial’ as it was supposed to give a technical push to the country’s defence programme and prove the capability of launching the missile from any terrain anytime.

Defence sources said the snag was detected a few seconds prior to the take off. “The countdown was going on smoothly, but the system shut down 18 seconds prior to take off,†said an official.

DRDO and Army authorities, however, declined to divulge the details about postponing the mission. “The test was deferred due to a technical snag. Work is on to rectify it and hopefully the test will be conducted soon,†an official told this paper on condition of anonymity.

Defence experts claimed the missile system developed snags whenever an Indian INS was used on it. “It flies well with the Russian INS, but the Army has been insisting DRDO to use the Indian system and prove its reliability,†they said.

However, it was not for the first time that the faults were detected in Agni missile. On August 29, 2011 defence authorities had to put off a user trial of 2000-km range surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-II for an indefinite period.

Defence experts have criticised the DRDO for the recurring failures. They said the faults are chronic and the scientists seem to have failed to rectify it permanently. “If the missile behaves like this during user trials, what will happen during the time of crisis? Can we afford to hold the country into ransom security-wise?â€

Agni-I missile, which has a length of 15 meters, a diameter of one meter and weight 12 tonnes, can carry a payload of around 1000 kg. This missile has been developed by the Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL) and some other DRDO laboratories.

1 person likes this.
  5. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

Hydraulic Snags Led to Night Trial Failure of Agni-I Missile

[​IMG]

Even as the defence authorities are tight-lipped on the reasons of the failure of surface-to-surface medium range ballistic missile Agni-I night trial, sources attributed it to metallurgical malfunction and snags in the hydraulic system.

Sources said after an abortive mission on February 18, the 700-km range missile was to be test-fired from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast next evening. But the strategic forces command (SFC) was forced to postpone the test for indefinite period due to some technical glitches in the missile system.

Initially while it was learnt that the faults in ‘not-up-to-the-mark’ Indian inertial navigation system (INS) led to postponement of the first night user trial of the nuclear capable missile, a scientist associated with the mission pointed fingers at manufacturing faults in the missile.

Talking to ‘The Express’, he said manufacturing and metallurgical faults triggered hydraulics problems in the missile system thereby forcing the armed forces authorities to put off the trial only 18 seconds prior to the test schedule.

Hydraulics help open the wings and fins in the missile system. The wings and fins were not being opened that day. Sensing further trouble, the mission was postponed.

However, the scientists have been asked to rectify the faults and make the mission ready for trial within next one year.

“The armed forces would definitely not want to take further risk. The body of the missile has to be changed as the metallurgical malfunction could lead to another fiasco. Besides, the INS has also to be checked properly,” he added.

Meanwhile, the team Akash is readying for another trial of the surface-to-air missile on Monday. After the trial, three more would be carried out in next couple of weeks. Sources informed that the armed forces were preparing to go for a fresh trial of 2000-km range ballistic missile Agni-II in March second week.

Hydraulic Snags Led to Night Trial Failure of Agni-I Missile

3 people like this.
  6. kaku

kaku Major IDF NewBie

Re: Hydraulic Snags Led to Night Trial Failure of Agni-I Missile

Agni-1 is really going old now, and its time to decommissioned him.

7. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

we can't do it until the new missile sourya is in production.

8. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

The main concern is, was the missile from a production lot ?? If yes. Then there can be many such missiles resting up there. Just think of things like that happening in war time scenario....:fie:

If it is a modified version then no problem. Things do go wrong while testing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

This is a upgrade test. When upgrades do not work its back to the drawing board.

10. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India

That's why canisterized missiles are a lot better. When you put a missile in a hermetically-sealed canister, it means there is absolutely no human or outside atmospheric contact with the missile at all from the point of emplacement to the point of launching.

This requires great levels of quality and standards to be maintained throughout the missile's components,

11. Indian Jatt

Indian Jatt Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    any developments on surya missile............it will be having a specified range of 12000 km...and upto 12 mirv's:what:

12. Indian Jatt

Country Flag:
    India
    its named after the god of fire maybe yes hahahahahaha:respect:

13. Indian Jatt

Country Flag:
    India
    Its more than 6000km, it can be more than 10000km as agni 5 is expected to reach 8000km......its also stated in wiki

14. Indian Jatt

Country Flag:
    India
    Yeah man I knew someone will put up this range thing because if 10-12 MIRV are their its range will highly be more than 9000km.

15. Indian Jatt

Country Flag:
    India
    Its range is more likely to be 8000km and not 9000km whereas agni 6 will be a true ICBM with range 10000-12000km

brahmos_ii likes this.