Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

AMCA: Updates and Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by DaRk KnIght, Oct 6, 2010.

1. simplystupid

simplystupid Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

AMCA being average is not acceptable. Technologies needs to develop, if required, Technologies required for Back integration may be acquired. We cannot continue spending and buying spree.

2. Break the Silence

Break the Silence FULL MEMBER

As per my opinion, AMCA will be a good fighter in terms of advanced tech incorporated, just because the lessons from Tejas chapter and expertise by FGFA VENTURE and its studies..

3. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

That is exactly what the people in charge mean when they're talking about artificial intellect and all that rubbish. Whether they'll manage it is a totally different issue.

Cuz India can't very well sit back and do nothing.

Whether the AMCA project turns out to be a time-bomb or not, it is a leap of faith all involved institutes and customers are willing to take. There's not much point in arguing that the Marut and Tejas are perfect examples of India's past attempts at aviation tech; the R&D budget, level of ambient technology, etc., are much higher in India now than back then.

Having said that, I don't think the money being pumped into Kaveri/AMCA is nearly enough to make a successful 5th generation fighter.

There's a certain level of dishonesty there; that man who said it (I forget his name) gives the impression that the comp tech level was a deliberate move to further the Raptor's stealth. That's true on one level, but the programme had provisions for replacing the computers once a suitable replacement had been found. However, the budget constrains prevented this from every happening. And yes, a 60 billion dollar project had budgetary issues, the number of aircraft finally acquire are proof of this.

I've always maintained that at the rate it is being developed, the AMCA will be lucky if even part of the intended systems make it on the plane. The F-35, on the other hand, while technologically impressive, isn't really a happy bird in the air. It can't dogfight, it can't hold enough ordinance to be effective, can't fly long or further enough from its base, has features like V/STOL which are basic ally pointless right now. Even the Rafale and Typhoon have better gear on them. I see it as an entirely worthless project, and I'm glad the Indian MoD have no plans to force it upon the IAF/IN Air Arm. No matter how amusing the proposal is.

Also, I'm reluctant about comparing the two. One is barely flight capable, but makes lots of promises, while the other is a drawing on a chalkboard, but it makes a lot of promises. In their present state, they're both completely pointless.

And before all of this, the moolah to make it happen has gotta be found. Easier said than done.

FYI, the 6th generation fighter is limited to a Boeing proposal for now. Sometimes I think they forget that the Cold War is over.

4. Psynex

Psynex FULL MEMBER

Evolution and Breakthroughs in Defense Research helps everyone. Its one of the factors which drives progress.

The Internet, it was possible due to ARPANET which was developed by the military.

GPS

Radar - air traffic control, weather monitoring, astrometry, and road speed control.

Canned Food - During the first years of the Napoleonic Wars, the French government offered a hefty cash award of 12,000 francs to any inventor who could devise a cheap and effective method of preserving large amounts of food. The larger armies of the period required increased, regular supplies of quality food.

Many new technologies came as a result of the military funding of science.

5. Vritra

^^^I'm not arguing that defence development hasn't produced anything pathbreaking.

The US government is trying to cut military spending though. What Boeing have proposed involves extreme agility and speed, pulse-det/scram-jet engines possibly running on biofuels exclusively, radar invisibility, artificial intelligence, possibly unmanned, etc. And to achieve this, they're going to need a lot longer than the next 15-20 years. Though they might be doing covert research, I doubt the US government will invest in it seriously, not for the next decade anyway. So it probably won't fly till 2040, let alone by the time the mythical AMCA flies.

6. Psynex

Psynex FULL MEMBER

Also on a different note, their cold war may be over, but ours has just begun. So we need to work even more harder.

7. midgetman

midgetman 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

India Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft

hey just starting this thread, b/c there isnt a treat about Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft and its recent developments, feel free to give your opinions on the future fifth gen aircraft, the specifications, and above all, PLZ post new developments and pictures. :wave:

8. midgetman

midgetman 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Re: India Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft

9. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  10. wanids94

wanids94 FULL MEMBER

Re: Give a name to AMCA

Why doesnt india use a prefix in the name like f-1 or something . Anyway i like nirav meaning silent in sanskrit

11. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Re: Give a name to AMCA

We use HF as a prefix.

12. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

India's news channel thinks India's concept 5thGen fighter looks like your F-117

[​IMG]

13. Vritra

More AMCA ballyhoo...

India to build its own stealth fighter jet​

Surya Gangadharan, CNN-IBN
    Updated Aug 07, 2011 at 06:35pm IST

New Delhi: India is getting ready to add another fighter aircraft to its fleet with the DRDO working on an Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft.

In a little over a decade from now the Indian Air Force will be needing replacements for its MiG-29s, Mirage and Jaguar fighters. The DRDO through its Bangalore based Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) will unveil the design for that replacement to the air force brass next year, an indigenous design for a stealth aircraft.

Director General VK Saraswat DRDO said, "Our requirement is to look for a fighter aircraft which will be required after 2025 and that aircraft should have all capabilities in terms of agility, maneuverability, load carrying capacity, low radar cross-section, super cruise."

The Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft could be in the 20 tonne range and composite materials will comprise much of its structure. Weapons will be carried in internal concealed bays and It will be powered by two “Kaveri” engines (pff).

“It will be powered by our modified ‘Kaveri’ engine. It will have additional features in terms of better fuel consumption, thrust vectoring, serpentine intakes and also some of the technologies critical for high fuel efficient and high turbine temperatures,” said Saraswat.

Originally the Kaveri was to power the Light Combat Aircraft ‘Tejas’ but is yet to develop the required thrust forcing the authorities to opt for the GE414 engine. Given that experience, the DRDO through the ADA plans to collaborate with a foreign engine manufacturer to speed up the development and testing work.

--ends--

Source.

14. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. smestarz

smestarz Lt. Colonel REGISTERED

YES, you are right and that is why they are still coming up with lasting planes like F/A-18 other plane to ensure that they are able to jump on top of Lockheed Martin and sell something to USAF that is totally on paper.. So before F-35 has even inducted, Boeing is designing planes to replace it,

Talking about AMCA, there is one thing I want to know from you people
    a) Are you sure the Future generation planes will be manned or unmanned
    b) or in case of say "2 seat" plane, the Pilot being an intelligent auto system, and the WSO being the Manual decision maker and secondary role of manual overide to the automatic system?

just a thought, as per me this might be the future..