Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

An Afghan PM Once Offered Vajpayee A Chance To Divide Pakistan Between Themselves

Discussion in 'General History' started by vigour, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Why would they willingly give up nukes? The only way I imagine them losing nukes is if America launches it's theoretical plan to seize all Pakistani nukes.

2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    They will have to do it for survival.

Lion of Rajputana likes this.
  3. neil_diablos

neil_diablos Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

I agree with vstol jockey when he says we should not willingly arm any of our neighbors with nukes. I support a free Balochistan aligned with India. Give Kyher Pakhtunkhwa, FATA to Afghanistan while assimilating Sindh, POK and GB within India. But this is possible if US aggresively supports such an operation by backing us in the UN. Otherwise, China will be breathing down our neck.

4. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    If you ask me - neither pakistan nor North Korea or Saudia Arabia should be allowed to have nukes. And that includes any successor states that come out of pakistan - they will always remain vulnerable to islamic extremism and therefore should be kept away from having usable nuclear weapons of any kind.

US, Russia, UK, France, China, India, Israel are enough. The only non-nuclear state that exists today which I won't mind if are equipped with nukes in future is Japan.

Lion of Rajputana likes this.
  5. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    I think with Pak becoming such a global liability, there's a limit to what China can do and would be willing to do. And if certain considerations are made, such as season when war is conducted, an intervention may be far too difficult for China.

neil_diablos likes this.
  6. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Good points, although I think we could remedy that by leaving behind Indian strategic forces in control of such weapons. And if in the future West Punjab loses all its nukes, or when Balochistan's conventional forces are sufficiently strengthened, perhaps we could withdraw our nuclear forces. But in response to points made about Pak, Iran and Afghanistan possible attacking Balochistan, I feel if we create such a state, we need to ensure its survival, and nukes are very useful for that.

7. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    One of the reasons why Iran was convinced on the negotiation table to drop their nuclear program (at least on paper) was because they made it clear that if Sunni or Sunni-aligned states like KSA or Pak are equipped with nukes, Iran will not stop it's nuclear weapons program no matter what, and they were reasonably assured that Sunni nuclear forces will not be allowed to exist for very long. Should this fail, Iran will restart full efforts toward N-weapons and no negotiation can break it this time. The West does not want that to happen.

If we want to ensure security of Balochistan, all we need is to sign a treaty declaring that any attack on Balochistan will be retaliated by Indian forces stationed there. Pretty sure Iran will not want to antagonize the trade relationship it has with India, and the Afghan Army is beset with internal conflict against the Taliban...they will assimilate pashtun territories (provided that group doesn't want an indepenent Pakhtoonistan/Pashtunistan) but that's only if the territories are peacefully handed over to them on a plate. ANA is in no shape to launch a campaign to occupy any foreign territory - much less against India's will.

No nukes please - they won't solve any problem that conventional forces and boots on the ground won't, plus they will start making everyone else in the area feel insecure.

8. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Tbh I expect Iran to either develop a few weapons or literally leave off on the cusp of actual weapons. I think the important thing is, if we have limited nukes under control of Indian Strategic Forces there and we are transparent with Iran about the situation and our intentions, that will kill any suspicion or insecurity. India has a big role to play in smoothing things over between Afg/Iran and Balochistan.

My plan was never to make Balochistan a permanent Ballistic Missile armed nuclear power, just a small nuclear insurance policy under Indian control until they are reasonably strong on their own.

But you are raising valid concerns regarding the region. As I said, I think this is where India's role as mediator/guarantor comes in.