Analysis of RFQs for Tejas Mk-1A Equipment: TRISHUL

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Gessler, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    First of all, some background regarding some of the contenders -

+++

By floating two separate restricted request for quotations (RFQ) on December 14 and 15 last year, the MoD-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd’s (HAL) Aviation Research and Design Centre (ARDC) finally won the contest to be seated in the driver’s seat when it comes to developing the projected Tejas Mk.1A L-MRCA—83 of which are required by the Indian Air Force (IAF).

The first RFQ concerns the procurement of a suitable AESA-MMR while the second involves the procurement of an integrated EW suite comprising of a pod-mounted jammer, and internally-mounted passive sensors like radar warning receivers, laser warning system, missile approach warning system (MAWS) and the central processor.

[​IMG]

The flotation of the RFQ now also proves that the MoD-owned Defence R & D Organisation’s Bengaluru-based Defence Avionics Research establishment (DARE) has completely failed to develop a ‘desi’ integrated EW suite despite 15 years of R & D activity. Furthermore, the RFQ flotation has also pit the final nail in the coffin of ill-informed reportage often resorted to by certain ‘desi’ bandalbaazes, such as these:

[​IMG]
    http://www.business-standard.com/ar...pproval-for-tejas-fighter-115102500749_1.html
    http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2015/10/cutting-edge-israeli-radar-wins-air.html

RFQ For AESA-MMR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RFQ For Integrated EW Suite

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Continued in Part-2 ...

2. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Inferences To Be Drawn

By specifying that the AESA-MMR’s operations must be synchronised with that of the integrated EW suite, HAL’s ARDC is in fact ensuring that the final bids must be presented as industrial partnerships between the OEMs of AESA-MMRs and OEMs of integrated EW suites. So, this is how the responses to the RFQs will be packaged by the OEMs.

[​IMG]

In the case involving Israel, while Israel Aerospace Industries’ ELTA Systems subsidiary will offer the EL/M-2052 AESA-MMR and the ELL-8222WB EW pod, ELBIT Systems on the other hand will propose its ‘All-in-Small’ airborne self-protection suite EW controller that will include a digital radar warning receiver, laser warning system, the PAWS-2 MAWS, and a single digital processor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The French offer from THALES and MBDA will include the RBE-2 AESA-MMR that will be integrated with the PAJ-FA pod, plus a digital radar warning receiver, laser warning system, the DDM-NG MAWS from MBDA, and a single digital processor.

[​IMG]

From the US, Raytheon will offer its RACR AESA-MMR along with the ALQ-184 EW pod, ALR-69A radar warning receiver, a laser warning system and BAE Systems AAR-57 MAWS sensor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Spain, Indra Systems will offer its ALR-500 EW pod along with the Captor-E AESA-MMR from Airbus Defence Systems, while the Virgilius internal EW suite (derived from the Eurofighter EF-200’s ‘Praetorian integrated EW suite) will be offered by Italy’s Elettronica SPA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In another possibility, Elettronica SPA could offer the Virgilius internal EW suite along with a pod containing elements of the Praetorian jamming suite, plus the Vixen-850e AESA-MMR from SELEX ES.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Russia, Phazotron JSC will offer its ZHUK-AE FGA-35 AESA-MMR along with the EW pod and internal EW suite sourced from either Elettronica SPA or from RAFAEL of Israel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, Saab Avionics’ is expected to offer the Vixen 1000es ES-05 Raven AESA-MMR from SELEX ES, along with its IDAS family of radar warning receivers, MAWS and laser warning systems. As for the EW pod, RAFAEL’s Lite Shield will be proposed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whichever AESA-MMR is selected, it will have to be interfaced with the I-Derby BVRAAMs that have been specified by the IAF for the Tejas Mk.1A L-MRCA. At least three flying prototypes of the Tejas Mk.1A will be involved in the airworthiness certification programme, involving close to 400 test-flights to be conducted between late 2018 and late 2020.

[​IMG]

However, the absence of an on-board IRST sensor will ensure that the Tejas Mk.1A L-MRCA remains a sub-optimal solution in the dissimilar air combat arena.

http://trishul-trident.blogspot.in/

@PARIKRAMA @randomradio @Abingdonboy @Picdelamirand-oil @halloweene @vstol jockey @MilSpec

Another thing - If Selex ES is removed from the blacklist, it could also mean that we can potentially standardize on the RAN-40L AESA-VSR for the Navy.

anant_s, Agent_47, Pundrick and 8 others like this.
  3. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Captain THINK TANK

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Fingers crossed, this would certainly simplify the situation going foreward, having a one-off sensor suite in the fleet would have been quite the logistical headache and costly in the long run. That said, there are no guarentees, the IN will probably go for an open bid before selecting their next generation VSRs for all future major surface vessels.

Maybe such steps also open the door to the AW-101 deal being resumed (although I hold less hope of this as the matter has been highly politicised).

4. Hellfire

Hellfire Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    With the greater realisation (and pragmatism) coming in the Modi Government about the shoddy state of indigenous R&D and abysmal state of armed forces at present, there is also the fact that wanton and knee jerk blacklisting of foreign OEMs has severely and critically affected the op preparedness of the armed forces.

There is now a move towards permitting firms from blacklist to ensure completion of contracted works/provision of equipment and imposing costs in other ways than that which hurts the nation in terms of supply and support of equipment itself.

Thankfully and hopefully, better sense will prevail.

5. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    After going thru these posts, can anyone doubt my road map for LSA? I too have proposed that we use the complete architecture of an existing FOCed aircraft to accelerate development and induction in service of LSA. Finally DRDO is coming around to what I stated in my presentation of LSA to them in July 2015. If I use the complete architecture of M2K-9 with OSF , SPECTRA and AESA integrated to it, I will have LSA as an aircraft of 5.5th Gen.
    In a way, LSA is already helping LCA development due to the approach to project development and management which I had suggested for LSA.

6. AbRaj

AbRaj Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I think that is the most logical way to go. It will save a lot of time and hassle to integrate various components which we have to import from OEMs.
    It will probably also simplify our own development programs like AESA ,MAWS, IRST, AAMs etc

7. lca-fan

lca-fan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I was about to say that your ideas are being used by HAL to complete LCA fast to save their asses. I would like you to pursue your plans on LSA more aggressively and bring out a prototype by 2019 or early 2020. Your idea of cheap 5th generation fighter will change Indian airforce and aviation industry completely. Good luck from my side.

sunny6611 and HariPrasad like this.
  8. HariPrasad

HariPrasad 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sir,

what is new in LSA front? We are eager to here something about LSA.

9. halloweene

halloweene Major STRATEGIST

What is PAJ-FA pod?? Edit. Found
    Vstol is right, amny features of Rafale suite architecture were tested on -9. (although with several different subcomponents).

PARIKRAMA and vstol jockey like this.
  10. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

There is still no provision for IRST in Tejas mk1A or am I wrong?

11. rockstar

rockstar 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

So basically LCA now, with a foreign engine, radar, EW suit and A2A missile systems!!

Should not have waited for long then. Could have bought Lavi or Mig.

Boeing ready for sellin X-32 design?

12. Ripcord322

Ripcord322 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    On A2A front... DRDO has ASTRA...
    On Engine front they have KAVERI...
    On Radar front they have UTTAM...
    On EW pod front they have TUSKER POD....
    On Radar Tracking front they have the SIVA POD.....
    IMHO
    Given the fact that none of it is in MK1A(Afaik) .... means that they are either not ready or not up to the mark....

The GOVT.'s aim was to create a truly DESI fighter with Almost Everything DESI ie why they sanctioned all these projects... But the labs have not yet delivered

What will be the Govt's strategy going forward... What have the Labs learnt from the MK1 fiasco...!?

Well... Lets hope the Next Fighters... (If at all there are any next Fighters...) Have these Systems... And they are ready on time....

PARIKRAMA, AbRaj and HariPrasad like this.