Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

'Are you from China?' College student, 20, killed by racist thugs in New Delhi Indi

Discussion in 'Internal Affairs' started by sangos, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Indians from a part of nation near Myanmar and China say they face discrimination in rest of the country for their 'Asian' features

[​IMG]
    The death of Nido Tania on Thursday sparked a swift outcry across social media in India. Tania’s supporters produced images, including the one above. Photo: SCMP

He was a slight young man, who sported hipster eyeglasses and a wispy moustache. He had dyed his spiky hair blond, but that was not the only thing that made college student Nido Tania stand out in the Indian capital.

Tania was from northeastern India, a narrow strip of territory wedged between China and Myanmar, whose people say they face discrimination in the rest of the country for having "Asian" facial features. When Tania, 20, stopped in a dairy to ask for directions on Tuesday afternoon, the shopkeeper taunted Tania for not knowing his way around, saying, "Are you from China?" and making fun of his hair.

The incident escalated into a violent altercation in which several men thrashed him with sticks and steel rods, friends and officials said.

He died in his bed the next day, succumbing to severe injuries to the chest and brain, according to preliminary medical results provided to his family.

The incident has sparked outrage in New Delhi, which was already reeling from a spate of high-profile rape cases, and has added to a growing sense of insecurity in a capital that is aiming to be a showcase for India's growing economic might.

Protesters shout slogans outside a police station in New Delhi on Saturday. Many people have criticised the response of the Delhi police to the young man’s beating and death. Photo: AP

Hundreds of protesters rallied on Saturday in Lajpat Nagar, the market where the beating took place, calling it a hate crime and demanding that the assailants be prosecuted.

"This was a racist hate crime," said Albina Subba, an advertising writer originally from the northeast Himalayan town of Darjeeling.

"Our community is often targeted like this … We look different, so it's easy for people to see we're not from Delhi."

She added: "We have little faith in the Delhi police, but this time we want them to take action."

"This happens every day in Delhi. Each and every one of us has experienced discrimination because of our physical features," said Sophy Chamroy, a 22-year-old student from the northeastern state of Manipur.

India's 1.2 billion people have many languages and customs but, as with the rape cases, racially motivated assaults seem to occur in New Delhi and other major cities with regularity. Many victims from the northeast are young people who have migrated to the capital for school or job opportunities lacking in their poorer home areas.

Last year in New Delhi, three students from Manipur were beaten by neighbours. In a separate case, a 21-year-old beautician from Manipur was found dead in her apartment with injuries to her face and toes. Police labelled it a suicide and dropped the case but many suspected she was slain.

So widespread is the discrimination against people from northeastern India that the federal government in 2012 passed a law that punishes the use of a racial slur with up to five years in prison. Still, activists say, authorities rarely enforce such laws and police are as likely to participate in discrimination as intervene to stop it.

"You don't know what is on the minds of people in Delhi, because these incidents keep on recurring," said Geetartha Barua, an official with the state government of Arunachal Pradesh, where Tania lived.

Tania was in New Delhi on vacation and going to visit an ailing friend in the area near Lajpat Nagar when he walked into the dairy, friends said.

Tania smashed a glass display case in anger after being taunted, prompting the shopkeeper and several other men from the market to set upon him and a friend. The shopkeepers called the police, who got Tania to pay about US$120 for the broken glass. The police did not take any action against the assailants, Barua said.

Police officers let Tania go, but when he passed the shop a second time the attackers beat him again, said Jotam Toko Tagam, the former president of a New Delhi organisation for students from Arunachal Pradesh. When he reached his sister's flat, where he was staying, he complained of pain and was bleeding from his wrist. He fell asleep early on Thursday morning after applying balms across his body, Tagam said. Around 1pm the next day, friends tried to wake him but found his body cold and limp. Brought to a nearby hospital, he was pronounced dead on arrival, Barua said.

The case sparked an outcry across Indian media and websites with many criticising the response by the Delhi police. Three men reportedly have been detained for questioning. Barua said police did not open a murder investigation until 24 hours after Tania had died, after the incident had begun to make news.

"We are being forced to go exert pressure on different quarters to get the police to investigate this matter properly, at a time when the situation is very sad," Barua said.

'Are you from China?' College student, 20, killed by racist thugs in New Delhi | South China Morning Post

1 person likes this.
  2. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Re: 'Are you from China?' College student, 20, killed by racist thugs in New Delhi I

...and we cry about racism in the West.

1 person likes this.
  3. CountryFirst2

CountryFirst2 Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Re: 'Are you from China?' College student, 20, killed by racist thugs in New Delhi I

There's little to no racism in our nation compared to what's in the west. This one incident is a rare case. The article which highlighted this is chinese, a govt which is busy killing monks and erasing cultures.

2 people like this.
  4. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

You gotta be kidding dude....all people from NE complain about racism in New Delhi. Remember a year ago how there was an exodus of people fleeing.

4 people like this.
  5. jonas

jonas Captain SENIOR MEMBER

You really are a piece of work,this has nothing to do with the West,or the Chinese,so stop making these pathetic excuses.

It is people like yourself who refuse to accept resonsibility for your own actions,that will stop any progress in relations with other countries.

Take off your blinkers,Stop blaming everyone else except yourself,and keep your nasty propaganda to yourself.

5 people like this.
  6. venureddy

venureddy Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

this is a very serioes issue and the government should take necessary actions to prevent these kind of racial activities.

1 person likes this.
  7. INDIAN NATIONALIST

INDIAN NATIONALIST Major SENIOR MEMBER

This is disgusting not only as a hate crime but because of the image it gives of our nation to the Chinese. Moreover, there are many NE Indians that have east asian traits so this sort of racism can just as easily be applied to our own as well.

However I don't believe hate crimes and the like are an endemic problem in India, notwidthstanding that media will focus on every isolated incident like it's the norm. Casteism and communalism are major issues that must be addressed but violence and hate crimes of this sort, including against foreigners, have always been isolated incidents and uncommon even by the standards of developed nations today.
    In my experience there is little difference in racist sentiment no matter where you go in the world. Virtually all humans are comparable in this way. In less developed nations it's sometimes more visible; usually people get along better as economic conditions improve. And this was certainly the case in East Asia, and Europe, when they were in similar stage of development, at least as much as in India.

Point is, there is little difference between India and the rest of the world, even given the lazy approach of law enforcement here, and the vast majority of Indians are friendly and tolerant to people of all backgrounds.

Regardless, all involved should at least be left to rot in prison. And it's also concerning that every time there is such an incident it takes mass protests to get police to do an investigation.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

I am sorry dude I don't agree with u. our country (myself included) is full of racists. every one south of Mumbai is madrasi. every fashionable girl from north east is thought of as easy prey. all north east Indians are chinkies. whom are we kidding?

lets accept this as a problem and then work towards it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Take it from me, Western society on the whole is very tolerant, and if there is intolerance it can be traced back to multiple causes, but not casual racism.

10. Devil

Devil Captain SENIOR MEMBER

now that is debateable western society is naive and ignorant and what happened with this kid was simply pathetic and act of low lives shows nothing but ignorance

11. CountryFirst2

I was talking about the govt. And no they're not tolerant, they're just acting it and smart about it. If you want an insight, look at the prison population, wars they conduct, NATO alliance, free trade mechanisms, etc. Wars and alliances conducted by the west is also based on white vs the rest of the world. They tax 1/20th of what is taxed from asian countries compared to western allies imports. For ex, Begladesh is taxed 20 times what UK is taxed in imported garments in US.

It doesn't matter what they say in the public, it's what you do that matters.

They're pushing their racist neo-olonial agends very well in this world through govt. It's a more organised disciplined form of racism.

1 person likes this.
  12. CountryFirst2

Do you call someone tall, tall? Is that racist?? They're just referring to people based on their features. It is a natural thing. But racism in west is completely different. They want to wipe out the rest of the population.

They call them chinkies, they call them madarassi, etc but that is where it stays. And if it goes more than that, they're one of those rare exceptions out of 1.2 billion people, even after 70% of our population is living in poverty, out of all the misery, we still are tolerant. Compare that to what's happening in the west, which is rich, has supposedly 'an education', and everyone is shown as decent. I said, what we see in our nation is very different from what is seen in other nations. It is not the same. And to tell the truth, they're really Bengladeshis who create problems and give everyone a bad name, and the muslims who got madrassa education, and problems created through people becoming pressured too far. Now that is a problem left over because of bad management by Gandhi and Nehru, the wrong leaders that came into power. Imagine an India where there were only Hindus, that would be heaven.

Please transplant all our problems like unemployment, corruption, poverty, lack of a govt. such a large % of madrassa educated muslims, population thickness and so low resources compared to the population, lack of basic infrastructure, religious differences, multiples of languages and ethnicity, etc to the west. Can you imagine what will be transpiring in that west?? For a reference, read some independent sources on what transpired in the west during their great depression. Trust me we're doing far better than anyone could hope for despite all these problems.

The India we see today is not what it was meant to be. It is a completely damaged ghost of what it was before the British came. It is a nation which has to be restored, through education, social engineering programs, etc by looking at how we did things before. Our nation is a work in progress.

I've explained this in a very loose manner, because I feel a bit lazy, please put the pieces together.

1 person likes this.
  13. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

oohhh man it would have been awesome if everyone had a humar like russle peter :frown:

14. CountryFirst2

Lol. I watch his videos too. Anyway, humor is good for sometime, untill things get real. These are problems have to be solved through social engineering, and development of the economy and spread of brotherhood and nationalism in our nation. The govt. has to take efforts and make this happen like they do in other nations like China, USA, etc where every wall has a national flag. Nationalism and brotherhood has to be cultivated. But instead of all this, the govt. plays further divisions for votebank.

Destruction of congress which plays votebank is the first step in the right direction tpwards solving all these. Don't worry, our good days are coming with BJP's and Modi's rise. Uniform civil law will solve some things, nationalism others and the re-empowerment of Indian ideologies like Hinduism, Sikhism, Bhuddism etc will also unite Indians further through culture and religion, etc. And also the Modi management tricks will boost and strengthen the economy. Our good days are ahead.

The only hinderance I see are whatever conspiracies the Americans and Israelis are hatching to wreak havoc and bring Asia under their influence, like AAP for example, and maybe, flase flags.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Well, yes, don't take my comment as a general sweeping statement, it's extremely complex, but for one reason or the other it is clear to me that Western society, the part that surfaces for all to see is very tolerant.

I agree, RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.