Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Armoured Vehicles India Conference

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by ArjuntankUK, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

Hello,

Do any of you work in the armoured vehicles industry? The reason I ask is because I'm helping to organise an Armoured Vehicles India conference in New Delhi this November (16th - 18th). As I can't provide a link, here are is some information about the conference:

Speakers include:

- Lieutenant General, Director General, Directorate of Mechanized Forces, Indian Army
    - Major General, Additional Director General, Directorate of Mechanized Forces, Indian Army
    - Brigadier General, Deputy Director General, Directorate of Weapons and Equipment, Indian Army
    - Brigadier General, Deputy Director General, Directorate of Weapons and Equipment, Indian Army
    - Shri S. Sundaresh, Chief Controller R&D (Armament & Combat Engineering), DRDO

Key reasons to attend include:

- In depth discussions on how the Indian Army plans to modernise their armoured vehicle fleets
    - Lengthy face to face networking opportunities with the Indian Army’s key armoured vehicle decision makers from Directorates Mechanized Force, Weapons & Equipment and Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.
    - Detailed discussion of operational lessons learned from those that have recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan

Does this sound like an event any of you might be interested in attending? Even if it isn't, I'd be very interested in hearing your views about the speakers and the topic. Leave me your email address if you'd like more info.

Thank you!

2 people like this.
  2. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    ^^^^ sounds like a good seminar with many professional attending. it wd be good opportunity to learn more abt arjun MK 2. can u give some more info abt this event like topic for discussion etc.

3. chachachoudhary

chachachoudhary Captain SENIOR MEMBER

WONDERFUL!!!! Dear ArjuntankUK, will it be possible to video record the speeches of key participants, especially from the army, and upload those to this forum or some other portal?

4. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

count me in buddy.....

5. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

No problem! The agenda is quite long, so I've not posted everything here but here are the main sessions for the 2 day event:

An Examination of How The Indian Army is Looking To Stay Ahead of the Game in Main Battle Tank (MBT) Capabilities
    Lieutenant General
    Director General- Directorate Mechanised Forces
    Indian Army

Future Technologies for Armoured Vehicles
    Shri S. Sundaresh
    Chief Controller R&D Armament and Combat Engineering
    DRDO

Achieving Operational Success Through an Analysis and Balance of Lethality, Protection & Mobility Capabilities
    Major General Ian Dale
    Director Land Equipment
    DE&S UK MoD

Armoured Vehicle Protection Tradeoffs: Striking The Balance Between Survivability and Mobility
    Lieutenant General Antonio Gucciardino
    General Manager of Procurement Agency for Land Systems
    Italian Army
    (Pending Confirmation)

INTERACTIVE PANEL DISCUSSION: Future Armoured Vehicles, Where Should the Capability Focus be Placed?
    Lieutenant General
    Director General- Directorate Mechanised Forces
    Indian Army
    Shri S. Sundaresh
    Chief Controller R&D Armament and Combat Engineering
    DRDO

Major General Ian Dale
    Director Land Equipment
    DE&S UK MoD

Major General Anthony Cucolo III
    Director- Force Development, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-8
    US Army

Evaluating the Performance of Networked Vehicles in The Joint Battlespace:the German Army’s Fennek Joint Fire Support Team Variant on Operations in Afghanistan
    Lieutenant Colonel Hans Martin Gieseler
    Joint Fires Team
    German Army
    (Pending Confirmation)

How Does The Indian Army Plan to Bring The T72 up to 21st Century Specification?
    Major General
    Additional Director General
    Directorate Mechanized Forces Indian Army

The Role Armoured Vehicles Will Play In The 21St Century: A US Army View of Current Operations and Future Modernization Strategy
    Major General Anthony Cucolo III
    Director- Force Development, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff
    US Army

British Armed Forces Merger: What Effect Will This Have on Armoured Vehicle Directorates and Operations
    Brigadier General Justin Maciejewski
    Future Director of Combat
    British Army

Providing Armoured Vehicle Life Support Systems: Environmental Control, NBC/CBRN Protection & Detection, Fire Supression, Water Generation and Auxiliary Power Generation
    Brigadier General (Rtd) Amir Nir
    General Manager
    Elbit Systems- Kinetics Ltd

Modernising Mobility: In Depth Assessment of Indian Mobility Modifications
    P Sivakumar
    Director- Combat Vehicle Research Development Establishment
    DRDO

How is the British Army Planning to Meet Urgent and Long Term Armoured Vehicle Requirements in This Period of Fiscal Austerity?
    Brigadier General Robert Talbot-Rice
    Director of Equipment
    British Army

INTERACTIVE PANEL DISCUSSION: What’s the First Step to Achieving Best Practice Armoured Vehicle Acquisition And Operation?
    Major General
    Additional Director General
    Directorate Mechanized Forces Indian Army

Brigadier General
    Deputy Director General, Directorate Weapons and Equipment
    Indian Army

Brigadier General Robert Talbot-Rice
    Director of Equipment
    British Army

Lieutenant General Antonio Gucciardino
    General Manager of Procurement Agency for Land Systems
    Italian Army
    (Pending Confirmation)

US Army Armoured Vehicle Research & Development Update
    Colonel Michael Smith
    Programme Manager RTITARDEC
    US Army (Awaiting Confirmation)

Increasing Protection Across the Italian Army’s Armoured Fighting Capabilities
    Colonel Fulvio Bellassai
    Head of Programmes
    Italian Army

If you'd like more information, please email me at: sharmin.ahammad@iqpc.co.uk and I'll send you the full agenda. I really hope you find it useful....

1 person likes this.
  6. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

Yes, we can do this! Not all of them will be up, but we can host a few on our website - the Defence IQ learning portal. In fact, I have quite a few videos, articles, podcasts etc. on armoured vehicles that you might be interested in listening to...If you email me at sharmin.ahammad@iqpc.co.uk I can send you a link to these materials and keep you posted with future details re: this event and other related information! In fact, that applies to anyone else as well..

7. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

Thanks! Would you like more information? If so, I can put you in touch with the Indian Armoured Vehicles team who would be able to book you on if you'd like to attend. I appreciate your support!

8. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Captain SENIOR MEMBER

@ ArjuntankUK Hello bro i like to ask why you are asking e-mail id when you can use the post is there any problem where you cant post here but mail it to individuals if 15 members ask, you have to send the content and interesting facts to 15 member 15 time the bandwidth through mail but if you post here just once 100's of users can see and learn from the article and video that you would have.

Thanks any how for sharing some info.

9. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

Thanks - I see your point and I would as many people as possible to see the content we have on our site. The problem is that I can't post links and some of these pieces of content are podcasts/videos/PDFs, so I can't post them here.... I'll share as much text information as I can. Thanks! If you would like the links, I can email you with them privately.

1 person likes this.
  10. tariqkhan18

tariqkhan18 Major Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I have promoted you to Professionals group which should enable you to upload attachments and various other files. Feel free to provide us the information regarding this prestigious event.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  11. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

Thank you for allowing me to attach documents. For some reason, I'm finding it difficult to attach files because they're considered too large (they're about 44k). Sorry about this...I can still email anyone who is interested in the materials.

12. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    ^^^ may be admins can help him wid dis.

13. chachachoudhary

chachachoudhary Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Dear members, here is the link for official website for the event. You will find all the related information on this website. Keep on checking this site regularly.

IQPC Armoured Vehicles India 2011

1 person likes this.
  14. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

Thanks so much, chachachoudhary! I will let you know once we've added any new materials to the download centre.

15. ArjuntankUK

ArjuntankUK FULL MEMBER

FYI, I recently updated the free resource centre and here are all the videos, podcasts and articles that you can access online:

Videos

Indian Army Plans for Modern Kinetic Fires
    Capabilities in a Fluid Geopolitical Climate Defence IQ speaks with Indian Army Colonel AK Sharma (retired) about the next generation of artillery warfare. Extending ranges of artillery systems is a top priority for Indian defence, and the goal of increasing lethality is closely tied with acquiring precision munitions, as he sees it. Net centric components, and the ability to pass mission critical information in a real time environment, must also align closely with Indian fires capability. He also discusses the meteorological issues endemic to India's geography that are likely to affect future operations.

Indigenous Armoured Fighting Vehicle Pushes Indian Army Into the 21st Century
    The science of armoured warfare in the modern age is shaped by two factors: terrain (which impacts mobility) and the nature of the threat (which determines the nature of armour). Indian Army armoured fighting vehicles are aggressively addressing these criteria and are doing so on an indigenous basis - both for production and for deployment. Colonel AK Sharma is a former Armour Battalion Commander and current Dean of Faculty of Technical Studies for the Indian Army. On the docket are discussions about night fighting capability, crew coordination and incorporation of new assets and contracts for the Indian Army.

The Top 5 Solutions to Balancing Armoured Vehicle Capability and Survivability
    Dr Robert Lusardi is the Deputy Programme Manager for Light Armored Vehicles (LAVs) for the US Marine Corps. He approaches armoured vehicle upgrades and modification from an alternative perspective - by beginning with the mission statement of the LAV. Due to its significant legacy and its entrenched interoperability requirements with USMC infantry, LAV modifications must flex to unique demands. Tune in to find out what these specific requirements are - and how the best minds in the field are working to meet them

Armoured Vehicle Panel Discussion: Procurement Advisors Open the Floor to Industry's Questions
    This unique panel discussion engages three representatives who speak directly for their nations' military acquisitions priorities. When it comes to armoured vehicle procurement, each of these three expresses unique and diverse demands for design and funding protocols. Dr Kogila Balakrishnan, Colonel Gilbert Gapay and Lieutenant General Antonio Gucciardino represent Malaysian, Philippine and Italian land force requirements, respectively. This rare and open question and answer session opens the floor to industry - and allows those who advise their governments on acquisitions to outline specific needs through 2020.

Remote Weapon Systems Remove the 'Hot Seat' From Armoured Vehicle Platforms
    In modern insurgent warfare in Afghanistan, front line threats often shift by as much as 360 degree. This, combined with asymmetric tactics, produces an extremely lethal threat for armoured vehicle crews. The solution seems simple - combine sensors and controls in one package that can be managed remotely and internally. This could potentially reduce engagement time, as well as maintain vehicle impregnability. Knut Saeter is the Vice President of Kongsberg and speaks here about the Protector Remote Weapon System Station.

'See and Avoid' Ground Penetrating Radars Approved for Afghan Operations
    Ground penetrating radar works to create a three dimensional picture of subterranean objects. What it brings to the fight is the ability to scan, identify and avoid land mines and similar threats. Thomas Ornevik of 3D Radar and Ri-Chee Chou of Exponent Inc. talk about the cooperative effort they have introduced to help safeguard armoured vehicle crews. Urgent US Army requirements for Afghan operations have pushed this cooperation forward - with the final product to be installed on the Husky mine detection vehicle.

The Future of Army Heavy Vehicles
    In order to ensure mission success in OIF/OEF, you must have Army heavy vehicles. Because of terrain differences in Iraq and Afghanistan, though, different types of vehicles and capabilities are required. In this video from the Heavy Vehicles Summit 2009, COL Barbosa discusses the future for Army heavy vehicles, including the different variants required for mission success.

Podcasts

Indian Armoured Vehicles: Looking Ahead
    Defence IQ speaks with Colonel (Rtd) A K Sharma, former armour battalion commander, Dean of the Indian Army’s Faculty of Technical Studies, and editor of the South Asia Defence & Strategic Review. He provides an overview of the Indian Army's current AV fleet, the key capability enhancements being explored, and discusses how past campaings will be benefiting future operations.

Afghanistan Road Wars: Canadian Forces Write the Book on Armoured Vehicle Employment
    Lt. Col. Alan Bolster of the Canadian DND talks to Defence IQ about the challenges, developments and requirements relating to Canada's future combat vehicles. This includes a detailed overview of the LAV III, long-term plans for replacing the Leopard 2, and an overview of enhancements from survivability through to counter-IED features.

The Ultimate Driver's Test: Armoured Vehicle Simulators Prepare the Royal Netherlands Army for Action
    Combined arms simulation and training are proving increasingly vital to European armies looking to field new crews in existing armoured vehicle platforms. Captain Chris Lukose of the Royal Netherlands Army speaks with our own Rich de Silva about how this works - from development of company-level tactics down to training in personal proficiency. The new TACTIS (Tactical Indoor Simulation) system provides a fresh avenue for simulated exercises - by providing a network where vehicle borne crews can sit in hi-fidelity simulations of Leopard tanks, for example. Is this the ultimate solution to preparing crews for the battlefield?

Jane's Editor and Expert Gives Extensive Overview of Armoured Vehicles Industry Christopher Foss, expert and journalist on the subject of AVs worldwide and editor of several Jane's defense publications, including Armour and Artillery and Defence Weekly, shares his vast knowledge and wizened opinion on the pressing concerns within the industry today. He provides a perspective on the key concerns for development with particular emphasis on survivability, why he considers UORs a "double-edged sword", and how he has found the deployment of UK AVs to have improved over the last two years.

Articles

Italian procurement perspectives: interview
    Lt Gen Gucciardino talks to Defence IQ on current and future capabilities of armoured vehicles in the Italian Army.

Modernisation of PLA Ground Forces: Emerging Trends
    China's meteoric rise, fuelled by incredible growth of its economy has created favourable conditions for modernization of its Armed Forces, a key component of its Comprehensive National Power (CNP)...
    Read more

Light Armoured Fighting Vehicles Wheeled Vs Tracked
    The Army has had a long running love-hate relationship with wheeled variants of Armoured Fighting Vehicles for its Mechanised Infantry fleet. In recent times, from the BTR 60s to the BRDMs, the army has inducted several wheeled variants...Read more

Modern Protection for Combat Vehicles Part 1
    After the evaluation of combat missions, combat vehicles, whether wheeled or tracked, and equipped with armour against the respective threats, are in great demand. In particular, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan showed that critical situations could often be mastered only with the use of heavy combat vehicles. The terrorist all-around threat requires heavy all-around protection in order to be sufficiently protected against attacks.

Modern Protection for Combat Vehicles Part 2
    Part 2 of Modern Protection for Combat Vehicles article. An armour solution that can be stacked in transport containers, transported by helicopter, and mines has been developed for driving cabs of transport and engineering vehicles. If required, the segments can be exchanged by soldiers without special tooling and not exclusively by the contractors. The partly dismountable driving cabs reduce procurement, user, and transport costs while providing high operational mobility

Plans for a flying armoured vehicle get off the ground The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is moving ahead with its research into the potential development of a flying armoured car to transport soldiers on the frontline by 2015.

MRAP developments
    Scott Blaney, Chief of C-IED at US Center for Army Lessons Learned, gives Defence IQ a comprehensive overview of the performance of MRAP vehicles in Afghanistan and Iraq, and provides insight into the brand new MRAP Handbook being released in October 2010.

Demand climbs for armoured recovery vehicles
    With the sharp emergence of Mine Resistant Ambush Patrol (MRAP) vehicles being deployed by U.S. forces in Afghanistan, along with an increase in armoured vehicle orders across all coalition forces, the need for emergency recovery has risen in kind.

I hope you find them useful - you can find them on the link above!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.