Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Army honours Major who tied Kashmiri to military vehicle

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Agent_47, May 23, 2017.

1. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Major Gogoi is still under inquiry for using Kashmiri as human shield
    In a surprising move, Army on Monday announced that the Major who tied a Kashmiri to a military vehicle as a precaution against stone-pelters has been awarded a commendation by Army Chief General Bipin Rawat.

The Army Chief’s decision comes even as the Court of Inquiry (CoI) against Major Leetul Gogoi continues and in the face of intense criticism of the action from various sections including many within the Army.

“Major Leetul Gogoi has been awarded COAS Commendation Card for sustained efforts in Counter Insurgency (CI) operations,” Army sources said on Monday.

On April 9, on election eve, stone-pelter Farooq Ahmed Dar was tied up in front of a SUV as a human shield in Budgam district which drew sharp criticism. However the Government had defended the action and the Army ordered a Court of Inquiry (CoI) to determine the circumstances of the incident.

“The award was given for his good work in CI operations in the Valley including this incident,” a source said adding that Gen Rawat decided to give the Commendation during his recent visit to Kashmir valley and it was presented to Maj Gogoi through proper channels.

Meanwhile, the CoI ordered into the incident is yet to conclude and officials said that it is a long process. “There are a lot of civilian witnesses to whom summons have been issued,” one Army source said stating that it would take some time.

“Image of a 'stone pelter' tied in front of a jeep as a 'human shield', will forever haunt the Indian Army & the nation,” Lt Gen HS Panag, former Northern Commander had tweeted after the incident came to light.

Following this Lt Gen Panag was criticized by many on social media for questioning the Army. However, after the award of commendation to Maj Gogoi, he stood by his earlier statement. "Indian Army traditions, ethos, rules & regulations swept away by the "mood of the nation"! I stand by my views even if I am the last man standing," Lt Gen Panag tweeted on Monday night.
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...ary-vehicle/article18525441.ece?homepage=true

2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    The CoI is over long back. Commendation Card has put a placard with RIP in it.

I respect Lt Gen HS Panag. His view is as per a private citizen's view, and I can understand where it is coming from. It is, however, not a serving Lt Gen's viewpoint.

3. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

Lt Gen Panag is getting on my nerves these days. What's wrong with him ? For a person who gave up everything for the Army its quite unbecoming of him.

Hellfire likes this.
  4. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Political campaign? Misplaced sense of propriety? No idea.

For me, war is a process of settling a dispute by any means. So neither is one a gentleman/lady nor is one supposed to play fair. Objectives need to be achieved, and one should be willing to employ any and all means.

Sometimes stupidities occur, like Vajpayee asking IAF not to use napalm in Kargil. The stupid git did not understand the psychological value in addition to tremendous capability of the weapon in rarified atmosphere. We would have had lesser casualties in the physical assaults had we employed napalm.

5. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

This happens when you join pAAP. His whole family has joined pAAP, and he is busy providing cover fire to his party's anti-national constituency.

??

Wolfpack likes this.
  6. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    ??

Back at you.

7. Vyom

Mind your language. Lt Gen Panag has done more for this nation and the Army, than what I and you ever could. He has legitimate grievances but him losing his saner faculties is not because of his political affiliation but because may be of some disillusionment. It gets on my nerves at the same time it is disappointing. You can Disagree with hm... do not mock him.

Grevion likes this.
  8. Vyom

Not Crossing the LoC in Kargil was hailed a great decision, may be it was... but I don't think it was, not at the cost of our men... we could have avoided a lot of casualties.

Sam_ and Hellfire like this.
  9. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    However I specifically referred to his directive not to use napalm. A foolish move.

Wolfpack, Sam_, zebra7 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  11. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    excellent idea - do this for in every stone pelters neighborhood. tie the sone pelters up and stone them in return every time they do it. use their own tactics against them for sometime.

12. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India

Tactical decisions are not taken by PM. IAF does not take permission of PM to use conventional weapons, every time they fly.

zebra7 likes this.
  13. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India

Unlike you, I judge people by their actions, not their laurels. If a Lt. Gen does something mock worthy, I would mock.

It is quite clear that his criticism for army comes from his political ideology. It is either him embracing that ideology by joining pAAP, or he joined pAAP because it was in tune with his ideology.

14. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    In this case, it is definitive. It was not a 'tactical' decision. It was a political directive. Please remember that this point of civil supremacy was driven home by Vajpayee when he sacked Admiral Vishnu Bhagwat.

Something to read:

http://www.rediff.com/chat/ganechat.htm

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Sam_ and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  15. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Remember that in 1999, US was strongly supportive of Pakistan, India was virtually reeling from a poor economy and still recovering, and Pakistan was the 'blue eyed boy' which had helped slay the 'bear'!

That is the reason for Kargil, Pakistan was dead sure of support from US and India's poor military condition due to a decade of lack of funding and upgradation of capabilities.

India could ill afford a 'chemical strike' claim. As it is, we came very close as Pakistan moved a nuke to Sargodha and as rumors abound, Vajpayee clearly sent a message that India is going to retaliate in maximum 8 minutes if that aircraft took off.

Lion of Rajputana and Grevion like this.