Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Astra ballistic flight test successfully carried out

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by ANISH VASHISHT, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANISH VASHISHT

ANISH VASHISHT FULL MEMBER

The missile is envisaged to intercept and destroy enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in the head-on mode at a range of 80km and in tail-chase mode at 20km

Balasore (Orissa): The country today carried out the ballistic flight test of Astra-a 'Beyond-Visual-Range Air-to-Air Missile'-from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near Balasore in Orissa today.

The missile was fired at around 9.50AM, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) sources said, adding two more tests are likely to be conducted in the next two days, reports PTI.

The missile is envisaged to intercept and destroy enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in the head-on mode at a range of 80km and in tail-chase mode at 20km.

"The main purpose of today's trial is to gauge the performance of the motor, propulsion system and the configurations of the vehicle and aerodynamics evaluation," said a DRDO scientist.

The data is being analysed by the scientists to ascertain the outcome of the trial.

The missile, after its final trials, would be integrated with fighter aircraft Su-30 MKI. Astra missiles would also be carried by MiG-29 and the Light Combat Aircraft, Tejas.

Astra, which uses solid propellants, can carry a conventional warhead of 15kg. It is the smallest of the missiles developed by the DRDO in terms of size and weight.

It is 3.8-metre long and has a diameter of 178mm with an overall launch weight of 160kg. The missile can be launched from different altitudes. It can cover 110km when launched from an altitude of 15km, 44km when fired from an altitude of 8km and 21km when the altitude is at sea-level.

DRDO officials said that it is more advanced than the similar class of missiles of the US, Russia and France. The missile's captive flight tests from Su-30MKI were carried out near Pune in November 2009 when seven sorties were conducted.

Astra's first flight trial took place on 9 May 2003 from the ITR at Chandipur.

2 people like this.
  2. Indian Tiger

Indian Tiger Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Rudrakx

Rudrakx Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Fair enough. That should clear doubts. people should mind that this is first of it's kind by DRDO. I sure once this is fully developed they rapidly develop longer range missiles.

4. pari.mehta

pari.mehta FULL MEMBER

5. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Great news...
    It says 80 km range in the source too..

6. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

Yes, it does. But missile ranges vary at different altitudes and every country has its own sweet spot where they calculate their ranges, so ranges from one country can not be compared to ranges of another country.

Though Astra is one project I am proud of and I am looking forward to this project very much.

7. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    ^^^

I saw somewhere Astra's range is 26km at sea level.

8. jagjitnatt

The range of AIM-120C5 decreases so much that its just 15 kms at sea level, and the range for R-77 is just 17 kms at sea level. DRDO's claims 21 kms at sea level, but I doubt it can be so good. We can't beat the yanks, Chinese and the Russians with our first attempt.

9. Rudrakx

Rudrakx Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Q: how does speed of fighter at launch affect the range of missile (Air to Air)? does it really affect? thx

10. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Depends on the amount of propellant the missile has onboard, as well as the aerodynamics. Increasing the range is not a problem, guidance system and accuracy is. :whistle:

11. jagjitnatt

It does affect, but not more than 2-3 percent in range. Actually the altitude at which the missile is launched makes a lot more difference.

1 person likes this.
  12. jagjitnatt

Increasing the range too is a problem my friend. As you pack in more propellant, the missile gets heavier, and that extra weight has to be carried almost 90 percent of its flight. So as you start packing in more propellant, the increase in range is reduced with each kg of propellant added. It is therefore recommend to find a maxima where the range and efficiency are maxed out, and optimize the missile for that range.

If the weight increases too much, maneuverability is sacrificed

From the specs it is clearly lighter than R-77, which means it packs less propellant.

13. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Major SENIOR MEMBER

great job .
    but 21 km is enough or less

14. jagjitnatt

If true, it is really good. But I doubt it can be so good. For comparison sake, AIM-120C has a range of around 15 kms at sea level.

15. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

applaud DRDO for their effort i have dream to beat yanks which i dont want to keep as dream for too long:india::india::india:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.