Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Atheism in Hinduism And Indian Culture

Discussion in 'Internal Affairs' started by tilopa, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilopa

tilopa Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

In Sanatana Dharma atheism/agnosticism or non belief is considered a valid path.
    There are many examples of upanishads which declare that no outside god exist.

Hinduism is a vast religion with different kinds of traditions.Actually hinduism is not the right word to describe it as it is not an '-ism'.The 'ism' suffix is used in words which contain a belief system and want you to follow it blindly like communism,nazism,mohammedism etc.

Whereas in ancient india there was no need to label several paths under one umbrella called religion.
    Indians considered that life is complex and there are several ways and everybody should follow their 'swadharma'.There are people who are devotional and they believe in god,there are people whose mental archetype is not made to believe in any god and imposing beliefs on them would be disastrous to their mental structure.So everybody should just follow their own 'dharma'.

However as i see today,hinduism today has been narrowed down to some common dogmas and anybody who doesn't follow the traditional norms of the society is considered an treacherous outcast.We have today self declared keepers of 'indian culture'. When they themselves don't understand the vastness of indian traditions.In ancient india freedom of thought was allowed to a great limit,we had Gargi who was a woman who challenged several learned scholars in those times,we had charvaka who was a sworn materialist yet he was referred to with highest respect in the vedas.
    Life as a whole was revered so ancient indians had a good sense of aesthetics.Eroticism was expressed in the form of popular arts like poetry,painting and sculptors.

But from the past 1000 years India seems to have lost it all age old light.Now the traditional indian society is so traditional that it has been choking all creative and innovative thinking.In the name of spirtiuality we have become staunched materialists.Even though our grandmothers claim to be religious they are very attracted to babas who promise lots of money,compared to that the foreigners who come to india are more interested in spiritual journey then psedu-spirituality.The place of woman has been dampened.There is lots of problem in Indian society right now which we needs to change.And we should make a completely new start as in the name of traditions we have been stucked in a groovefor a long time .

3 people like this.
  2. Pagan666!

Pagan666! 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I have no attachment towards any religion! I hate the Abrahamic religions and hate religion in general! Heavy Metal and India is my religion! :india:

2 people like this.
  3. tilopa

Your love for heavy metal explains that you are from guwahati :neo:

BTW,i also hate organize religion.Religion is private affair and a matter of heart,when people make it heirachial then it becomes a mind control organization.

4. true

true 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Sir,
    In one sentence:-
    Religion was created for man's peace of mind, but man its been politicized.

Jai Hind.:india:

5. Pagan666!

You don't have to be from Guwahati to be a Metlahead! That's very dumb, okay! But agree with your views on religion!

6. Pagan666!

I disagree! Religion is the opium of the masses. :disagree:

7. tilopa

Guhawati is called the rock capital!
    there was even a nat geo program about it

8. Nick 779

Nick 779 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Hindu or Sanatan religion was at its purest during the Vedic age, where ones Karma defined your status. So there were many rishis who were not brahmin. But when Buddhism became prominent during Ashoka, Kanishka, etc. the Brahmins devised new ways to increase their importance and introduced the caste system and various rituals and practises. They took on board the Rajputs who were the ruling class at that time and announced them as Kshatriyas.

The net result is that for thousands of years, India was and is until now not a meritocracy unlike China which is a meritocracy for the last 3000 years. This has led the country of Ayurveda and science to become backward.

1 person likes this.
  9. true

true 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Sir,
    I,m also disagree. I think:-
    "Give you peace of mind that religion"

What's Gwahti. all services in Gauhati Medical College is now available.
    Jai Hind.:india:

1 person likes this.
  10. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

As per Hindu philosophy, nastik is one who denies the authority of vedas. Buddhists, Jains are Charvaks do that. Nastik does not mean an atheist, there is no such term in Sanskrit language. Even nirisharvada, godless spirituality, is not atheist.

Sankhya philosophy is nearly godless, and pays only service to vedas, but does pay.

11. Pagan666!

Sanatan Dharma means the eternal religion and the "Hinduism" tag was all but the creation of the barbaric Arab and Islamic invaders. I read a few notes on Manusmriti about women and I was appalled, though there are many good verses as well. But those ill-founded verses are nothing compared to what's in the "holy" books on Christianity and Islam. Trust me. But the one thing that I like about Sanatan Dharma is that it's far more tolerant compared to others. I only wish that the caste system, the Devdasi system and other malices were done away with!
    And thanks for wishing me! I couldn't reply because I do not have the requisite number of posts to make a reply! Thank you so much! :respect:

12. Pagan666!

I do believe in a divine being but not in religion! I consider myself to be a Suryavanshi, a direct descendant of the Solar Dynasty! I think I am a demi-god! :woot:

13. Pagan666!

I respect your views :yahoo:. I worship the Sun as I am a Suryavanshi and Daanveera Karna is my elder brother :yahoo:. But no interest in religion otherwise!:nono:

14. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

All vedic philosophy was clubbed and rebranded as Hinduism in the early 19th century. This was due to advent of other reglions in India. But the vedas themselves weren't region specific, it was written for the mankind. The vedas admit that no man can be a real atheist or a real believer, because it is stupid to claim something you do not know completely. The real religion comes through change in the subjective side of man.

15. Pagan666!

It's actually Shillong. Though we have a very huge scene here. Heavy Metal rules :rockroll: and (c)rap and (s)hi(t)p-hop sucks! :artillery:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.