Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Attack Helicopters of IAF - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), AH-64D Apache : Updates & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by flanker143, Mar 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Beat me to it by seconds:cheers:

Ripcord322 likes this.
  2. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    IMRH first, then will probably be a heavier Helo based on the IMRH's learnings. same path as we took for Dhruv and then WSI Dhruv and then LCH.

Sancho likes this.
  3. Grevion

Grevion Think Tank TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Less time. About 15 years less.:mrgreen:

thesolar65 likes this.
  4. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
  5. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
  6. DragonKnight

DragonKnight Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

I don't know if its been posted before but this really cracked me up :jester:

Sancho and GuardianRED like this.
  7. LonewolfSandeep

LonewolfSandeep 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Abingdonboy and Sancho like this.
  8. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Major SENIOR MEMBER

Blackjay likes this.
  9. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  10. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

fully Local...

Abingdonboy, Blackjay and Guynextdoor like this.
  11. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    adding news source for reference. Note, this news is form dec 2015

@Levina @PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy how about we start a sticky thread that keeps track of all DRDO projects so far? is there a thread like that already? if not - can we discuss the format of that thread and I would like to start that and keep track of stuff.

"
    Parrikar also launched the design and development project of Hindustan Turbo Shaft Engine (HTSE-1200) which can be used for helicopters.
    The HTSE-1200 can be used for helicopters of 3.5 ton class in the single engine configuration (e.g. LUH) and for 5 to 8 ton class in twin engine configuration (e.g. ALH, LCH). The engine develops a power of 1200 kW at sea level and can operate up to an altitude of 7 km. This project too is undertaken by HAL with its internal resources with an aim of developing the capability of indigenous design and development of turboshaft engines.
    The country would need 4000 to 6000 helicopter engines in the coming years and efforts of HAL to in this direction needs to be appreciated," Parrikar said.

"

Read more at:
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Abingdonboy and Guynextdoor like this.
  12. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Abingdonboy likes this.
  13. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Surprised no one has posted this already; LCH undertook its 1,000th sortie yesterday.

14. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    HAL are really upping their game across the board, really don't have much criticsm of any of their work these days; what a turnaround from just a few years ago!

+ as with any DPSU there is bound to be a degree of bloatedness and inefficiency, I wonder what kind of performance they could be delivering under a more profit-motivated and dynamic leadership.

++ with a high functioning rotary wing arm(that has its own R&D division) in addition to all of the existing fixed-wing divisions and now an in-house engine R&D/production capacity, HAL has a HUGE ammount of work on its plate. I wonder if efforts like HTSE-1200 or the HTFE may be better off being under an entirely organic, dedicated, engine/propulsion research lab/company seperate from HAL OR whether these projects thrive BECAUSE of the expertise in aviation that HAL already has (largely from a production but increasingly in R&D also)? Obviously a scientist will see things differently to an engineer and with HAL being dominated by engineers, would a scientific enviroment feel more welcome elsewhere? I have no idea but worth discussing

@PARIKRAMA @Sancho @Agent_47 @Levina @nair @Sathya @Guynextdoor @Hellfire @MilSpec @Ankit Kumar 001 @Gessler

15. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    HAL's Annual Operating Plan is presided by MoD planning commission.

Lets assume, that HAL decides to undertake a large project such as Light Combat Helicopter.
    1st There is feasibility analysis> which needs money. Once that is completed, there is project planning with Phase gates.
    If First prototype is slated say in next three years, and the first production model in 7 years, there are a lot of things that need to happen within the time frame, and most of it is capital, and not expense. And MoD needs to support all of the Capital and operating expense for all the projects for HAL for the operating year.

In an Ideal world, AOP funds every active project in the fiscal year, but in reality thats not what happens. HAL is given a fix sum of certain amount. Every department and division submits thier AOP list and then begins the exercise of slashing and cutting. List of priorities are created, and one of theings that might get slashed are the fire control radars for the Prototype, subsequently G2 gets pushed into the next year.This happens to every project, in addition to meddling from airforce, DRDO, CRE/CRI all push projects and effect deadline. Lack of strong leadership compounds the problems.

I have said this again and again, HAL's problem is, was and always will be Money. We are understaffed with talented engineers and managers, we are also overstaffed with administration clerks, pencil pushers, and clock watchers. We also have a tremendous leadership deficit.

Coming to the organic separate lab is on the lines of the same disastrous path of creating ADA, for the readers who will point my bias towards HAL, let me tell you that "some" engineers in HAL can pull the weight of 10 DRDO scientist on a bad day. ARDC, Nasik, Banglore Helo, and Koraput Engine div has some of the best engineers you can find in India. Most division has a core team of engineers and SME, if given the resources they need, they can complete the outstanding projects in no time, LCH, HTT40, Bison upgrades, MKI harnesses, are standing examples.

Instead of another ADA, I would say empower ARDC, trust me ARDC will kill it. The day ARDC decides to jump into the AMCA design game, ADA is finished.