Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Automobile News

Discussion in 'Internal Affairs' started by layman, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Ford effects India’s biggest recall with 1.66L Figo, Classic

NEW DELHI: In the biggest vehicle recall in the country, Ford India on Friday said it is recalling 1,66,021 units of best selling compact cars Figo and Classic sedan to rectify problems related to steering and rear suspension. The recall will impact different batches manufactured between January 2010 and June 2012.

"Ford India is extending its existing voluntary field service action and will recall the remaining batches of Ford Figo and Ford Classic models to inspect them for potential issues related to the rear twist beam (RTB) and the power assisted steering hose," Ford India said in a statement. With respect to the RTB, 1,09,469 units of Ford Figo and 22,453 Ford Classic produced and sold from January 2011 till June 2012 will need to be inspected but will not necessarily need part replacements, it said.

In the case of the power steering, 30,681 units of Ford Figo and 3,418 units of Ford Classic produced and sold in India from January 2010-August 2010 and March 2011-November 2011 will be inspected and then replaced.

More Info

2. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    The surround sound is $321,080, supercar included

[​IMG]
    The McLaren 12C Spider, a retractable-top version of McLaren’s formidable sports car, has a 3.8-liter V-8 with twin turbochargers and a 7-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission.

WHAT IS IT? A retractable hardtop version of McLaren's ferocious 12C.

HOW MUCH? $268,250 base, $321,080 as tested including sport exhaust ($6,330), navigation with Meridian sound system ($7,200) and Volcano Yellow paint ($5,400).

WHAT MAKES IT RUN? 3.8-liter V-8 with twin turbochargers (616 horsepower, 443 pound-feet of torque), 7-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission.

HOW'S THE WARRANTY? Coverage for three years with unlimited mileage. That's right: On mileage, the warranty beats Hyundai's.

IS IT THIRSTY? Rated at 15 mpg in the city and 22 on the highway, the 12C prioritizes performance over fuel economy.

Turbochargers make wonderful noises. A turbocharger is a lot like a miniature jet engine, but most car companies seem to think that drivers don't want to hear the LaGuardia taxiway as they're merging onto the highway.

That's a shame. I used to have a Saab 9000 Turbo with a low-restriction air intake, and its dominant aural signature was the Lilliputian Top Gun dogfight that erupted beneath the hood every time the turbocharger spooled up. Unfortunately, modern cars don't much let you hear their turbos at work.

Well, except for one: McLaren 12C, you're first in line, cleared for takeoff.

Squeeze the throttle on the retractable-hardtop 12C Spider and a symphony of howls and gurgles erupts from the mid-mounted, twin-turbocharged V-8 as unsuspecting air is belligerently funneled into the hungry maw of an 8,500 rpm monster. The turbos issue a high-pitched whine under throttle, then dump excess boost with a breathy exhale. Maximum boost is a formidable 29 pounds per square inch, a statistic that helps to explain how a 3.8-liter V-8 generates a staggering 616 horsepower.

The Spider seemed decidedly more vocal than the coupe I drove last year, so I asked McLaren if anything was changed to uncork the intake cacophony. As a matter of fact, yes, there was. The 12C's Intake Sound Generator - programmable by the driver - is more aggressive, increasing the decibel level as the driver moves up through Normal, Sport and Track powertrain modes.

So then, what's an Intake Sound Generator? I asked McLaren's new chief executive, Mike Flewitt, who explained: "It's basically a tube with a valve in it, so it lets the sound pass through without carbon dioxide getting into the cabin. But it's not creating anything that isn't really there."

Flewitt did not mention BMW, but the latest M5 augments its V-8's soundtrack by playing engine noises through the car's sound system. The 12C isn't doing that. It's more akin to sticking your head under the hood, while you're driving, to take a listen.

Of course, if you want even more visceral exposure to the engine, you can wait 17 seconds for the hardtop Spider to transform into open-air roadster. The Spider uses the same carbon-fiber tub as the coupe, so the power roof exacts a weight penalty of only 88 pounds, for a still-svelte total of 3,033 pounds. The 0-to-60 mph time remains unchanged at 3.1 seconds, but over a quarter-mile those 88 pounds will slow you down, from a 10.6-second elapsed time to 10.8 seconds. (Trap speed drops from 136 mph to a still-impressive 134.) I think I could probably live with that. The Spider also gains a bonus auxiliary trunk - the area where the top stows doubles as storage space if the roof's up.

As for demerits, the main drawback seems to be that the seam in the middle of the hardtop turns into a channel that funnels rainwater onto your head when you exit the car. The solution, which I'm sure many Spider owners will embrace, is to live in Malibu.

I drove in steady New England rain during my time with the 12C, which meant that I became frustratingly familiar with the car's traction-control system. On a wet road, the 12C has the power to effortlessly spin those giant rear tires at 45 mph. But find a stretch of dry pavement, and a 12C coupe is one of the few cars that can outpace a 12C Spider. And even then, not by much.

It seems that the traditional tradeoff between coupe and convertible, wherein the droptop is an overweight, cowl-flexing Fat Elvis version of the coupe, no longer applies to certain carefully designed two-seaters, the 12C chief among them. In choosing between the two 12Cs, you'd find a Meyer-Briggs personality test more relevant than a stopwatch. Are you the type of person who's out on the Miley Cyrus side of the extroversion spectrum, the kind of person who's ready for the attention that comes with a roofless McLaren?

I'm not sure I require that level of hedonism. Roof up, windows down, a dry road and turbos singing: that sounds good to me.

3. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

ford cars are worst ... my dad has one ... if it goes to service center ... the bill is never less than 50k ... n still does work perfectly !!!

in India, over all Honda n Suzuki make good cars ... honda commuter bikes are also good !!!

4. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    I have not driven ford cars, but as much as i know they use multiplatform chassis, and parts are inter serviceable.

5. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    in India very few people buy ford cars ... in my city Suzuki, honda, tata, bmw's, mercs, audi, range rovers ... are preferred ... the last 4 ar as common as the first 2 ...

6. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Lorenzo wins San Marino GP

[​IMG]

MISANO: Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo reignited his bid to defend the Moto GP world crown with victory in San Marino, the 13th leg of the 18-race championship, on Sunday.

Lorenzo, winning at the Misano circuit for the third successive season, finished ahead of championship leader Marc Marquez with Honda teammate and Spanish compatriot Dani Pedrosa in third.

Italy's seven-time world champion Valentino Rossi finished fourth on a Yamaha.

Lorenzo's 49th career win, and 28th in the sport's premier category, allowed him to pull level in the championship race with second-placed Pedrosa. Both now have a deficit of 34 points to Marquez with five races remaining.

A fortnight after claiming victory at Silverstone, he said it is crucial to be fighting in every event.

Lorenzo came to the Italian circuit hoping to make it three in a row and declaring he was fighting fit following a crash in June and subsequent surgery on a broken collarbone.

And he let Marquez know of his intentions from the outset, powering his Yamaha from second place on the grid behind his fellow Spaniard into first place on the opening lap.

From then on, Lorenzo led the race and steadily opened up a gap on Marquez and Pedrosa, who went on to engage in a thrilling battle for second place in the closing laps.

Marquez admitted he made mistakes "in the first part of the race", but after collecting 20 valuable points the Moto GP novice said the title fight is far from over. (AFP)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.