Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Be an armchair general and help MoD and our forces!

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by Sancho, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I had given many suggestions to DM and many of them have been adopted also. I have the capability to make my views be heard by DM and I wud prefer to use that route only.

3. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    1. Basic self protection gear [BPJs, Modern Combat Helmets, Knee and elbow protection , and provision of MRAPs ] to each and every soldier [Army or Paramilitary ] currently engaged in combat should be absolute necessity and should be procured and provided at all costs within minimum time [contracts should be signed within 45 days]frame. No soldier should loose his life because he did not have proper protection.[Modern Gear]

2. Constitute a Tri Services committee with its members not higher in rank than a Captain[Politicians might influence the higher ups] , place them under joint supervision of Supreme Court and Election Commision , and tell them to prepare a list of all equipments who have crossed their guaranteed life by the OEM.And withdraw each such equipment and destroy them within 48 hours[So that there is no option but to provide armed forces with modern gear]. No Soldier should loose his life due to aged and outdated equipment.

3. Invite all the 3 chiefs , with their list of "5 most crucial acquisitions " and then these 15 things should be acquired as soon as possible. Rather fix a time line , within 12 months contracts for all these should be signed at all costs.

@Abingdonboy @Hellfire @Sancho @PARIKRAMA @kaku

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Sathya, thesolar65, Hellfire and 10 others like this.
  4. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Good one @Sancho will try to help this thread thru notifications across @PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA, Sancho and The Lockean like this.
  5. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Just one suggestion:

For God sake please Appoint Joint Chief of Defence Staff and Unified Command of all defence forces, which also looks after unified unbiased defence procurement and Unified Command and WAR Room during war or conflict.

6. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom

1) Create CDS, tri-service theatre commands and tri-service combat commands (Special ops, Space and Cyber)
    2) Release the SP chapter of DPP-2016
    3) Allow the CAPEX budgets to lapse year on year

+ if I'm allowed a 4th; put an immediate freeze on any expansion in personel numbers and institute a thorough audit of every single role. Aim to cut at least 30% of non-combat roles in the IA and emphasise an increase in force multipliers and superior training.

Sadly all of the above are very basic steps the MoD/GoI has been toying with for countless years but so far little progress has been made.

7. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I like these ideas bro and certainly they would help address the immediate needs of the services but I would say the long term fortunes of the military would remain unchanged. What is needed the most is to reform the system and implement tangible policies that will exist well into the future regardless of the political leaders' whims. There needs to be a major shake up in the status quo otherwise it will be business as usual forever.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  8. Veeran

Veeran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    What these people need is not more advice, because I think they knew already what to do, but rather a strong slap on their face and some lathi-charge by the people itself (more for the congress defense ministers than the BJP ministers).

Bloom 17, Dagger, PARIKRAMA and 2 others like this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Lol so true. Countless expert commitees have been formed over the years/decades and have made very sensible reccomendations to the GoI/MoD but little has been done to implement these suggestions. The MoD/GoI know exactly what they need to do, what is lacking is the will.

Parrikar had said that it was his intention to implement all of these comitees' suggestions but with him having departed it is an open question whether such action will be pursued.....

Grevion, Dagger, Veeran and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

My first suggestion is already posted in the AMCA thread:

http://indiandefence.com/threads/amca-updates-and-discussions.1988/page-62#post-554193

1) It's aimed on a logical, cost-effective and probably easy way to make AMCA real!

I also feel that with FGFA, IAF already gets a fighter developed for their requirements and which makes it more logical to develop AMCA for IN first and use it, or a varient of it for IAF later. That also eases the development of a naval fighter and would be a lesson learned from LCA / NLCA.

2) The second suggestion is related to the first and again is aimed on cost-effectiveness and also ease of logistics in IAF and IN.

IF the F18SH could be used for INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant, I would use the naval MMRCA, to solve the problems of IAFs MMRCA.

Make one larger order for both carriers, off the shelf from Boeing, but co-develop and produce upgrades of the Block 3 in India as part of the offsets.
    => Ease of operation and logistics for IN because of 1 type of fighter + industrial benefits + opens the way for EMALS!

Divert 2 squadrons of Mig 29Ks to IAF (later all 45), to counter the falling squadron numbers.
    => No other fighter can be delivered or inducted into IAF earlier, since they already are in India, have common tech level to their Mig 29 UPG (except for engines) and IAF has well trained pilots and ground crews for them!

Order 3 squadrons of MKIzed Pak Fa, off the shelf from Russia!
    => They will start production soon, it would counter the induction of stealth fighters into Chinese forces and could get us the leverage we need for FGFA negotiations.

The result of this suggestion would be...

2 x Squads of Rafale + 2 x Mig 29K + 3 x Pak Fa MKI = 7 squadrons or 126 fighters => No additional IAF MMRCA procurement necessary, faster induction of fighters to fill the gaps (possibly all 7 squads till 2021), ease of logistics and crucial addition of NG capabilities!

3) My last suggestion is, don't let ADA and DRDO decide what they want to develop and let the forces priorities what they need from our scientists. The national security must stay above the interests of our scientists as well as economic interests. Develop things that are necessary, not what makes you look good. Aim on a steady growth in learning and gaining experience, instead of aiming too high. And most of all, use our access to foreign techs and companies as an advantage and form more co-developments. That's the only way to shorten development time lines and reduce the gap of know how!

Sathya, kiduva21, Grevion and 4 others like this.
  11. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    I have given these three views as

1. The first and 2nd point will increase the safety standards of our men who are engaged in Kashmir , Red Corridor and NE Insurgency right now tremendously , and will also undress their overall morale. And these two things together can to a big extent accelerate the war very much , bring about removal of threat and violence and ,a wave of infrastructure development, meaning a big population of India will for first time in decades get employment and security.

And when that happens , we can proudly say that , yes we are a democracy.

2. The third point too is essential according to me , because even if the overall structure is improved , our forces are right now in dire need of new equipments , because a part from internal conflicts we have other problems to deal with too. And improvement in the overall system will not mean acceleration of projects, we need to do something to make up for some of the lost time and my point no 3 in my opinion is a perfect step.

If I had the option of " 5 steps " your point no 1 and 2 would have found a place in my post.

12. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

It is not necessary and would cause inter-arm friction and heartburn in IAF and IN. At first I thought that CDS was a good idea. Not any more.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  13. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India
    A option that India could exercise in long run is to skip mature technologies in which we could not beat west, and pour resources in next-gen tech where we could compete on equal terms. Space based weapons, DEWs, Orbital transporters and bombers, HGVs,

layman and Sancho like this.
  14. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The whole point of a CDS is to get rid of the tri-service rivalry (to the greatest extent possible), of course there will be an aversion to it by all 3 services but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be pursued. The military needs to stop being so protectionist and needs to be forced to embrace modernity.

lca-fan, Sancho and PARIKRAMA like this.
  15. A_poster

Country Flag:
    India
    See, the problem with idea of CDS is that it would increase tri-service rivalry,as in this case IAF and IN, rather than being supreme in their domain, would come under IA with their chiefs reporting to CDS who in 9 out of 10 times would be from IA. I have read some opinions about this. Pretty much every one: IAF, IN, MoD's bureaucrats are against this idea. IAF and IN because they would lose status, and MoD's bureaucrats because CDS could pave wave for military coup under an ambitious general.

+ unification at top does not do any good for operations.

Grevion and PARIKRAMA like this.