Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Be an armchair general and help MoD and our forces!

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by Sancho, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    > CDS
    > Tri-Service theater commands
    > Greater role for ex-servicemen in the MoD (eventually the goal should be for ex-servicemen to become DM/RM).
    > Trimming the size of the services (especially army) and making them more technology centric and advanced than number centric with focus on various "force multipliers."
    > Heavy shift towards privatization in defense production/acquisition
    > Development of Special Forces Command
    > Serious focus on development of Cyberwarfare capabilities

These are some of the things off the top of my head...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Sancho likes this.
  2. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    • Relax the age limit for engineer recruitment ( say 30 years so that PhD, Mtech, MSC etc are eligible; students with degrees from abroad should be considered too)
    • Get rid of reservations
    • Have a design bureau dedicated to each armed wing
    • Within the design bureaus for each wing , there has to be specialization (for example - Sikorsky designs only helicopters and nothing else, unlike HAL and DRDO trying to develop everything under the hood)
    • Maintain consistent and modular design philosophy, for example the Sukhoi 27 and all its derivatives
    • Prevent changes in the design, once approved (The Army in particular has a stinking old habit of changing their minds at the 11th hour when it comes to fixing specifications they need)
    • Have a list of approved private companies/contractors that work directly for the design bureaus and achieve high specialization (the private sector- especially smaller players, have to be groomed into the process of manufacturing products for the defense)
    • Emphasize on cyber warfare
    • Take active role in schools and colleges to motivate the next gen. (I have never seen an army/navy/etc drill through out my schooling)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Sancho and Didact like this.
  3. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Oyye teri, Very interesting thread.

These would be my big three Tactical recommendations.

1>Primary Infantry caliber change:

Backstory:
    Throughout the History of modern centerfire cartridges, India has seen three major primary infantry caliber changes.
    The first adopted/imposed caliber was the British .303. The next transition was to the venerable 7.62 Nato on the back of the FAL -SLR and the Ishapore 7.62 and then came the 5.56x45 Nato. With the shortfalls of 5.56xNato , 7.62x39 slowly sneaked in.

What: My first proposal is a new changeover to the 6.5 Grendel with two fully machined receiver based one conventional and one bullpup platform.

Why: Consolidation of role. The inherent design of the 6.5 grendel has enough mass to provide the terminal ballistics of 7.62 x 39 at short range, out performs both 5.56x45 nato and 7.62x51nato/7.62x54R in long range performance, as well has better trajectory performance compared to the all three rounds it can potentially replace.

How: Design of Modular rifle system, with both conventional as well as bull pup design. Modular in terms of interchangeable receivers and barrels for both platforms. No need for modularity in supporting multiple calibers.

2> Precision Guided 160 Mortar system

Backstory: Given that most of the exchange across the border with Pakistan has been in form of border flare ups the window of opportunity to strike is extremely short and relegated to exchange of fire, In the escalation ladder the 2nd level escalations resorted to are mortar fire, where Indian forces are limited to use of trajectory calculation indirect mortar fire in 81mm and 120 mm caliber.

What: 160mm precision mortar indirect fire solution to provide maximum damage to forward infrastructure of the enemy.

Why: Maximum damage during level II escalation in Proxy war.

How:
    >Targeting drones with real time data feed link with forward poMst commander.
    >Automated targeting mounts for 160mm mortars based with ballistic calculators, and fire control module
    >FLIR feedback for Fire control module

3> will write over the weekend.

Sancho, Sathya and nair like this.
  4. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    @MilSpec You presented a whole 3W1H..... though when part is missing

Sancho likes this.
  5. Indian Jatt

Indian Jatt 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I have many such suggestions......few of them are:
    1. Prepare a basic doctrine in case of terrorist attack.
    2. Come up with indigenous conventional submarine design P-76, and mass produce it, 24-36
    3. We need a forward deployment base, we have A&N, but still very under utilised, we need south china sea fleet.
    4. Get tejas mk2 by 2020 and mass produce it, and followed by amca by 2030.
    5. We also need private sector to manufacture ammunition for the army, but for that to happen, Indian forces need to find a campaign:devilwork::devil::chilli:
    6. we need to order 2 vikrant class carrier and name it virat,cause vishal will come late.:dirol:

Sancho likes this.
  6. Aqwoyk

Aqwoyk Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Our manufacturing capacity is a joke compared to our main adversary First of all it is needed to be taken into mission mode to make our manufacturing capacity five fold in ammo and their launch platforms in net five years . keeping no shortages of ammo and weapons must be the first need. with 16 aircraft per year you cant take on China .

Then comes making the innovations in new systems which needs heavy investments into Research , it should be done only after we have supplied basic weaponry to our forces like howiters , SLRs , proper comat Gear at soldier level , ammo , Bombs, already developed munitions like ATGMs, T90 tanks, Full range of MRLS , C &C systems , and also the more Ground attack / multirole aircrafts , and SAM systems to IAF . It means acquiring everything which we need and which also don't need any further research , in full capacity as early as possible by increasing manufacturing base for five years and till then keep research budget medium .

Also stop putting funds into puny things like MRH ,trainer aircraft , ATGMs , which we won't be denied , Instead put that big money into our fifth gen aircraft projects , next gen submarines , SPHs , , Next gen SAMs , BMEW Radars or next gen engine materials which are denied to us by even our friendliest countries .

Sancho likes this.
  7. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    I have only one Suggestion.

Try to keep the Indian Wiz's in India. Everything will change.

Sancho likes this.
  8. grace

grace IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    this is my first post ...:D

i am not sure how army deployment works in conflict areas but i think , there needs to be special committee under MOD just to overlook the defense needs of regiments deployed on conflict zones , as in PRIORITY
    eg. if there is urgent requirement for NVG or BPJ or RIFLES than they should be able procure that without any hassles directly from vendor ..

2.using unmanned Combat ground vehicles for Cross border raids (surgical strikes)

Sancho likes this.
  9. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I tend to be a bit of a minimalistic :-

1. Allow private players to design and produce a bevy of small arms for IA/IN. Is it really that hard to design and produce a modern assault rifle, sniper, ammunition, pistols / revolvers etc? Ordinance factories need to have some competition. INSAS is a broken one. After 70 years of independence we should be having our own gun.

2. India has one border which is very suitable for tank battle. I am talking about Rajasthan and Gujarat border with Pakistan. We need to build a tank suitable for that border. Again, we need a private player to build one. Infact, we can have a joint consortium of private and public companies producing Tanks with public companies in regulatory and observer role initially. This should be done possibly with ToT from a foreign partner. Israel makes a lot of sense, so does Ukraine. Tanks are not something that should take multiple decades of R&D. Russians designed and inducted new tanks even while WW-2 was rolling on. After 70 years, we should be able to do this - especially with the help of a foreign experts. Plus Tank technologies are not that huge of a secret like Jet Engine. Best, if we have multiple companies having multiple production lines spread all over India.

3. Artilleries - both self propelled and towed. These are very important on Kashmir border. We need to be able to build our own, together with ordinances. Again I will like to leave manufacturing to private players. See the above for a basic template.

4. Electronic component industry. US has a huge industry to produce electric and electronic components for their forces. They ensure that the components which are not currently available in market are still in active production for forces. Example White Electronics. You do not want a bunch of your tanks sitting idle because designator has a IC which has gone out of production since 1998. Again we need multiple private players supporting this.

5. Railway Transportation : Our railways is really dated. I believe a well placed PGM/Stand Off weapon can disconnect Kashmir from Ambala and hence rest of the India. We need multiple railway lines connecting cities in India. Previous governments have started a number of trains but not enough new tracks. We desperately need to add more tracks, some specially for defense. Once more, I will like to involve a number of private construction firms to speedily complete this. Lastly, I do not want a situation where our local government have to prioritize movement of troops over evacuation of civilians from Kashmir, Punjab etc. Same on our north eastern front.

6. Road Transportation : Our border roads in north east are broken beyond belief. Almost all of them were never completed to begin with. We need to complete them and fast! Again private partnership will be very helpful. Lastly, in case of opposition from China, we should raise a stink else where. If Chinese infiltrate into our borders, we should send a missile/AC boat towards their own South China Sea, may be together with US/Japanese support.

7. Air transportation : We seriously need more air ports and air strips. Instead of having HUGE lavish ones, we can do better by having a number of bare minimal ones all around our country. In case of war, our heavy transport planes can use these for emergency supply and evacuation. This is specially true for our easter front where the railways and road ways will take a long time to establish good connectivity.

Sancho likes this.
  10. stephen cohen

stephen cohen Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    We need to Buy more weapons for the LOC
    Because I want Pakistani Casualties

A kind of LOC Budget should be drawn up

More Heavy Machine Guns ; Anti Air craft Guns should be installed for Direct Firing Mode ; Some ATGM Units should also be put up

Those places where Pakistan has an advantage of Altitude have to be
    Relentlessly targetted

Do what ever it takes including Laser Guided Bombs

11. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I looked upon one sector after another, but to avail none as ideal model.

Finally I ve settled down with only believing in Good citizens.

1. Nurturing good citizens. In schools & colleges.
    2. Protecting good citizens. Police , Law , other security related departments .
    3. Empowering good citizens . Right person for the right job.

If basically if all are good citizens , no need to take any steps to bring in positive steps to improvise our armed forces.

Since we are at where we are ..

I would suggest bring forth changes at top-> down and bottom -> up.

Cleanse political system , we are scientifically advanced so much we identify whether a person is crook or to serve the country.
    Make lie detector test or any other similar means to make it ..only the service minded people enter the political system .

Cleanse the top bureaucrats.. To reach at the top, we can see through their professional efficiency and intergrity.

From the bottom level , just automate everything ..
    Computerised services , digital payments etc
    So as to bring accountability .

Sancho likes this.
  12. Sancho

Sancho Major Technical Analyst

Wasn't that the plan of the government?

Just what I expected from him. :biggthumpup:

But there are a lot of interesting suggestions so far, keep it coming guys!

nair likes this.
  13. Sancho

Sancho Major Technical Analyst

Can you elaborate this? Do you mean just for the forces or also kind of guidance for the public?

:smile: And you picked the right thread for your post. Sharing ideas and infos keeps the forum alive!

14. Indian Jatt

Indian Jatt 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Doctrine is always for the forces, we cannot handle people or kind of give instructions to people in such case.
    A doctrine for striking enemy bunkers and terrorist hideouts after an attack should be high on the list, also we are not crossing LOC or IB thus no reason for nuclear retaliation, retaliation after every such attack would install fear in the enemy state, hit them covertly and hit them hard....and it takes spine to act

Sancho likes this.
  15. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    In tune with my first two suggestion, this is my third tactical suggestion.

It's an concept that has been in my head for a long time and I was pleasantly surprised to see a similar concept realized in the movie Ironman. And no it's not the Tony Stark's Iron Suit, but the missile portrayed in the movie in the opening sequence as the "Jericho Missile".

Short Range Ground Attack ThermoBaric Missile. "Arty on Tap"
    (Following are excerpts from a conversation with someone that is for you to guess)

What : A short range (10-25k) Top attack ground launched thermobaric missile. The missile battery locates in a VLS say about 15 KM's away from the Indian Post, and targeting ability via a hand held/UAV OLS laser designator at the forward post commander.

Why: Changing the equations of escalation ladders is necessary to make the cost of LOC escalation higher than what Pakistani Military can afford. In the current scenario of unguided, non-active feedback systems significantly reduces the efficacy of the Level II escalation. A short range land attack missile classified as dedicated artillery "On Tap" would be extremely efficient in creating the most impact mitigating logistics of moving 155 mm guns. With multiple top attack modes of approach it can effectively neutralize posts and bunkers on dark sides of mountain slopes, caved embankments at higher altitudes, lower altitude crevice embankments, canopied launch sites, etc.

How: Multiple terminal approach modes available like dive attacks for camp like posts, angled approach for posts on mountain faces, lateral top attack for units behind rock features, flat trajectory for posts on higher elevation etc. Specific launcher embankments created for every post on the IB and LoC, two missiles for every enemy posts across Rajhasthan, Punjab and J&K.

@nair, No when's as there is nothing to comment on when being purely suggestions.

nair, Sathya and Sancho like this.