Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

BJP MP Tarun Vijay's racism row: Do South Indians come from Mars?

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by SrNair, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    of course there are dialects everywhere in every state.but North India is dominated by Hindi,while South India has no common Language. Tamilnadu is the one state which wants Hindi to be not promoted,perhaps Sanskrit would be a better option to promote as a national language. but then what even that is not acceptable to the DMK people.They prefer a colonial language English over any other Indic language.
    I agree urbanization will lead to people learning Hindi anyway.It is only a matter of time,even those who shun it now,will start speaking it.

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It is better for any non-native english speaker to speak in their own native languages as they are born hearing and talking it,their brain is wired that way to processes information from native language, if you try to read English,your brain first reads English and then tries to understand the meaning in your native language. This creates a lot of confusion in understanding and decreases the learning potential of the students,instead they should be taught in native languages.
    Yes,Sanskrit is the root of all Indian Languages and even most European languages have the same words and meanings.
    If Sanskrit is made national language of India,that will end the importance of English and make it easy for students to understand and think concepts in science,mathematics easier.

YarS likes this.
  3. YarS

YarS Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    Sure. But also it is good for native English speakers to learn another, more difficult language (even French). Language is not only communication system, it is also a thinking system. As for me, native English speakers without knowledge of other languages - are some kind of mental invalids. They have primitive language and primitive thinking. Those who know two languages are more intellectual.

I don't know South Indian languages, so - can you write pronounce of this words in your mother language (continue this Sanskrit-Russian-English line)?

Bhratr-Brat-Brother-
    Tata-Tyatya-Dad-
    Matr-Mat'-Mother-
    Vidhava-vdova-widow
    Agni-agon'-fire-
    Bhu-byt'-to be-
    Vatar-veter-wind-
    Vedin-Vedun-Wisdom-
    Vrana-rana-wound-
    Dvar-dver'-door-

4. Veeran

Veeran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    In Malayalam (Samskrit-Tamil (1st and 2nd language of the planet) mixed language):
    Bhratr-Brat-Brother-Anujan/Aniyan/Bhratr
    Tata-Tyatya-Dad-Pitav'/Acchan/Pitashri/Pitamahan/Pita
    Matr-Mat'-Mother-Mathav'/Amma/
    Vidhava-vdova-widow-Vidhava
    Agni-agon'-fire-Agni
    Bhu-byt'-to be-
    Vatar-veter-wind-Kaat'/
    Vedin-Vedun-Wisdom-Vedam
    Vrana-rana-wound--Vrana
    Dvar-dver'-door-Dvar/Vaathil

There's not much difference. This is why despite having so many languages we can understand eachother.

They're similar/transcending languages. With similar grammatical syntax and very high use of common words.

5. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    @YarS Are you a linguist??

6. YarS

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    Brother, I'm Barbarian. We are not taking care about clean of Varna. We can be simultaneously educated as Bramins, vehement as Kshatriyas, avaricious as Vaishyas, work-lovers like Shudras, disgustless as Chandalas.
    I'm not scientist, but I like to learn other languages, and can have my own opinion about different linguistic theories.

vstol jockey likes this.
  7. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I do not think Indian are any particularly clever compared to say Japanese or Russians or British or Americans. It is more of a question of comfort in expressing yourself.

I won't beat the dead horse of Japanese broken english from 80s or 90s (All your base are belong to US! etc), but their statesmen are clever enough to understand this and they usually employ professional translators while delivering speeches. Listen to the officials statements delivered by Japanese government during 2011 crisis. They are one of the best measured speeches at a very critical time of crisis and the professionalism of their translators who was simultaneously translating speech as it was being delivered was almost godlike. Indian politicians need to learn this and adapt this.

That said I am very much impressed by Putin and his brand of spartan replies. The less words a statesman say to deliver a message accurately, more he is respected IMHO. I have never seen him speaking more than required.

Also, I have very fond memories of Russian writers from Soviet time and beyond. Likes of Obruchev, Gogol, Mikhanovsky, Yefremov etc have always entertained and enriched me. I miss books from Raduga and Mir publications :( . Very economically priced and extremely intellectual in nature. Most of the folks in India who have prepared for state entrance exams in engineering must have solved SS Krotov and Irodov. Indians owe a lot to USSR and Russia.

YarS and Grevion like this.
  8. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Language is a tool for expression. For a person whose job is to issue statements which have a power to start or stop riots, s/he should at least be expected to master the tool he is using. If he is not comfortable with a particular brand or kind of tool, he should better use the one s/he is good at. Anything else is sheer incompetence.

YarS likes this.
  9. YarS

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    I can say nothing about all Indians, but engineer students from India (in Russian Universities) are much more successful that Arabs or Africans. Recent Indian graduates, imho, are better that WASP recent graduates.

10. YarS

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    Talking about price - there are a lot of free on-line libraries in RuNet.
    And what about Oldies? Did you read them?

http://knijky.ru/books/groza-v-beznachale

11. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    You seemed to be really knowledgeable that is why I asked.
    Only people of a certain intellectual orientation get interested in languages.

12. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    The engineering students from India who go to other countries to get education usually do so because they didn't get admission in Indian universities.
    I think in Russia there's no entrance exam for education in medical fields.
    Recently Russia has become a preferred destination along with the already existing US and UK for education because of this reason.

The ones who leave India for education are usually the not so bright ones.
    We give more respect to ones who pass out from Indian universities because it is tougher to get because of the entrance exam where you have to compete with the rest of Indians.

When you say Arabs, I think you mean Iranians or Turkish, because the Arab arabs from Saudi/UAE seemed dumb to me.

13. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    Sanskrit should be made the core language. That will fix most of the problems.
    I personally don't like Hindi.
    But I like it when Modi speaks it.
    I prefer Sanskrit as the language.

14. YarS

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    What do you mean, talking about 1st and 2nd language of the planet? There are many not Indo-European languages, and antient Tamil was more close to Ural languages, that to Sanskrit.

15. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    In India, Sanskrit is considered as the first language of the planet.
    And Tamil as the second language.
    Sanskrit (language of avatars) and Tamil (considered language of Murukan- son of Lord Shiva) both have divine status.