Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

BJP MP Tarun Vijay's racism row: Do South Indians come from Mars?

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by SrNair, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Veeran

Veeran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It is not about being close to each other.
    Both have different origins but equally respectable origins.
    To a foreigner they may be different, but to us we don't care as long as they are indigenous.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    @YarS See this song:
    It is in Malayalam but you'll see words from all three languages Sanskritam/Tamil/Malayalam.
    In India, even if languages are different we don't differentiate them and use them together.
    This works because of common grammatical foundations and also use of common words.
    Indian languages should be considered transcending languages, just like Indian identities are transcending over each other.

This is more Sanskrit and Malayalam with less Tamil. I'll find one with more Malayalam/Tamil and some Sanskrit and post that also, but check this one:

YarS likes this.
  3. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    @YarS Here's one with more Tamil/Malayalam and less Samskritam, but you'll still get a common feel as if they're the same language:

This is how Indians talk in daily life also.
    The people who created Sanskrit and Tamil were also the same, with languages being used inter-often as needed.
    This is one of the reason why identities don't get defined by language in India and also one of the reason foreign linguists fail when they classify Indian languages like they classify other foreign languages.

YarS likes this.
  4. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    This contains more Tamil and less Malayalam and Sanskrit. But still you'll feel the there two languages in it. It is just the way the words are used.

5. YarS

YarS Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    Very interesting. Can you show here tree of world languages, including Japan, Chines and Checen?

6. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What??????

YarS likes this.
  7. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    I'll try.
    I'm not familiar with other languages that much.
    But being from Kerala, we sometimes boast how malayalam is blend of two original divine languages (Sanskrit and Tamil).
    So I know that part easily.
    But the rest of languages are not easy to find.

8. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    @YarS

I mean they were both from the subcontinent.
    Because we didn't define ourselves by languages and so it was normal to have multiple languages co-existing, like I showed in the videos how different languages are used intermixed.
    I was showing the attitude towards languages is different from the west.

9. YarS

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    Hm.. I don't know what is Indian attitude to language, but West languages are mixs too.
    For example - English is a mix between French, German, Norway, Roman and pre-Roman local languages.

10. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    Agreed. But I don't think you should club english with french and german which are more refined languages. English I personally don't consider a worthwhile or advanced language even if it being promoted as a modern language. But yes, in the west also there is so many common use of words.

But you don't find people talking so easily between many languages in conversion like you will in India.

When I read western literature about Indian languages, there was always attempt to portray them as alien languages to eachother and even attempt to define people of the Indian subcontinent based on languages like the manufactured Aryan/Dravidan, etc which is not found in Indian society. For the west, this is intentional. But for someone else who reads these literature other than an Indian itself, say a Russian or Latin person, this will form the opinion, that Indian languages are alien to eachother.

This is what I was trying to clarify.

So for someone who reads these literature they will get a more sharpened image of Indian languages with strict boundaries, which I wanted to correct.

11. YarS

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    English is a very primitive language. If native English speaker didn't learn other language in childhood, he becomes "mental invalid" and can not learn other language.
    But if you want songs with mixed languages - no problem, I have it for you.
    Old Norvegian and Russian:

Russian, French and few English words.

Italian and Russian:

Russian, Sanskrit and Chinese:

Russian and Dari:

Russian and Japan.

Russian and Khuzdûl (language of dwarfs)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017