Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Boeing P-8I Neptune / Dorniers - Maritime Recce & ASW Aircrafts : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by CONNAN, Dec 12, 2010.

1. CONNAN

CONNAN Major ELITE MEMBER

Rear Admiral DM Sudan, Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Air), on Saturday said Naval Air Station, INS Rajali, Arakkonam, was all set for major growth with the induction of the P81 aircraft – capable of long range maritime reconnaissance, anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare as well as search and rescue missions – in the near future.

He was speaking at the passing-out parade of the 75th Helicopter Conversion Course of the Helicopter Training School (HTS) located at INS Rajali. He awarded the “Wings of Gold” to nine trainee pilots from the Indian Navy and seven from the Coast Guard, including first two women pilots, a release said.

“It would be fitted with the best available sensors. We have to ensure that while we still continue to operate our existing assets, the new technology is imbibed and state-of-the-art platforms exploited to their full potential at the earliest,” he said.

He pointed out that INS Rajali had become one of the premier air stations of the Navy over the years.

The Navy, as indeed the Coast Guard, was at the threshold of a major expansion in aviation capability with new, advanced and capable aircraft in the pipeline for induction.

“As far as the fighter stream is concerned, the Indian Navy has already inducted the Mig 29 K aircraft and they have been based at Goa. With respect to helicopters, the process for procurement of multi-role helicopters is under way,” he said.

Upgrading the existing fleet of helicopters was under “active consideration.” The young pilots passing out on the occasion would surely be flying state-of-the-art helicopters soon, he added.

Noting that it was for the first time in the history of the HTS that six Commercial Pilot License holders from the Coast Guard were graduating, he said among them was the first batch of two women trainee pilots who have been trained by HTS.

“This is the first time that women officers are being inducted as helicopter pilots in the Coast Guard,” he said.

The helicopter stream of the Indian Navy and Coast Guard offered one of the most challenging dimensions of maritime operations. Operating helicopters from ships' deck demanded professional skill, grit and determination, he said.

The passing out parade was the culmination of 21 weeks of training in flying and aviation subjects held at HTS. The two women pilots – Assistant Commandant Bhawana Rana and Assistant Commandant Ruchi Sangwan – were the first two women pilots to graduate from the school. They were from Haryana.

The Governor of Kerala Rolling Trophy for the best all round trainee pilot was awarded to Lieutenant Rakesh. The Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command Rolling Trophy for the trainee pilot standing first in order of merit in flying was presented to Lieutenant Rakesh, while a book prize for standing first in ground subjects was awarded to Lieutenant Asoom Sharma, the release said.

The Hindu : NATIONAL / TAMIL NADU : P81 aircraft to be inducted into INS Rajali soon

[​IMG]

Leelashankar likes this.
  2. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

There's still a long time to go before the first P-8i is delivered to India.

3. illuminatidinesh

illuminatidinesh 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

INS Rajali Arakkonam is one of the Premier Naval Air base in India. Has second largest military runway in Asia. Hope this becomes a reality soon.

4. tariqkhan18

tariqkhan18 Major Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Boeing to pitch ‘diet’ P-8 to Indian Navy
    December 23, 2010
    By Saurabh Joshi

US defense major Boeing will be pitching a ‘diet’ version of the P-8 Poseidon aircraft in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued by the Indian Navy for Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft, due by the end of the year, next week.

Boeing has already begun work on the first of eight P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft to be supplied to the Indian Navy, in a deal concluded in the beginning of 2009 at a cost of US $ 2.1 billion.

Company sources told StratPost that even though the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform, it will have smaller tanks and a shorter range and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare.

The RFI also asks vendors if the aircraft can carry out electronic intelligence gathering and counter-measures, besides maritime patrol and search and rescue within an operational envelope of 350 nautical miles or almost 650 kilometers, as well as a patrol endurance of at least three and a half hours. It also specifies a requirement that the aircraft be capable of carrying at least two anti-ship missiles and a jamming pod.

As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like, IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal – BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft.

Boeing to pitch 'diet' P-8 to Indian Navy | StratPost

5. Dilemma

Any idea as to what other planes are did the IN send an RFI to?

6. tariqkhan18

Country Flag:
    India
    No idea, but wouldn't it be feasible to keep just one platform?

1 person likes this.
  7. Dilemma

Looking at it from an angle of logistics and spares/training commonality, it would be great.

8. tariqkhan18

Country Flag:
    India
    Indian designed sensors delivered to Boeing for P-8I aircraft

Bangalore/New Delhi, Dec 23 (IANS) State-run Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has delivered to Boeing a key sensor to be fitted in P-8I long-range maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare aircraft, being produced by the US aerospace major for the Indian Navy.

The Indian defence PSU delivered the Indian-designed Identification Friend or Foe Interrogator - a battle management system - last week, the aerospace major said in a statement Thursday. It will be installed by Boeing during P-8I's final assembly at its facility in Washington.

'The sensor - identification friend or foe interrogator - is a battle management system, which enables the P-8I aircraft to distinguish friendly aircraft and forces,' Boeing Company said in a statement here.

Boeing Defence, Space and Security India vice-president Vivek Lall said: 'The delivery of the sensor is another positive step in our industrial participation effort with India, as our partnership with BEL is in line with the Indian government's objectives.'

India had signed a deal worth $2.1 billion in January 2009 with Boeing for procuring eight P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft to augment and replace its Russian-origin fleet.

India is the first international customer to acquire eight P-8I planes for its naval fleet from Boeing at a cost of $2.1 billion. The aircraft is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon the company built for the US Navy.

Boeing will deliver the first of eight P-8I aircraft to India by early 2013 -- 48 months after the original contract signing.

BEL board member H.N. Ramakrishna said in the statement that the interrogator 'demonstrates our capability in cutting-edge work in avionics, software and structural components'.

The P-8I aircraft also has BEL's data link II communication system, speech secrecy system of the Hyderabad-based state-run Electronics Corporation of India Ltd (ECIL) and mobile satellite system of Avantel Ltd, a wireless systems maker based in Hyderabad.

'The P-8I's unique capabilities are tailored to India's maritime-patrol requirements. It has the reach and capability to defend India's vast coastline and maritime waters,' Lall said.

As a leading defence electronics major, the Bangalore-based BEL designs, develops and manufactures a range of C4I (command, control, communications, computers and intelligence) solutions, radars and sonars, naval systems, and electronic warfare systems for the Indian defence services, paramilitary organisations and other state-run entities.

Indian designed sensors delivered to Boeing for P-8I aircraft

1 person likes this.
  9. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Awesome Video-Anim of Boeing P-8I For Indian Navy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  10. tariqkhan18

Country Flag:
    India
    US notifies sale of Harpoon missiles for Indian Navy

Harpoon Missiles

US Congress has to approve the sale first

BY Ritu Sharma
    Delhi

The US government has notified that country's legislature for a "possible" sale of 21 Harpoon Block II anti-ship missile systems to India under a complete package worth $200 million (over Rs 900 crore).

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency informed the US Congress about the deal that would take place through foreign military sale route and would involve the sale of associated equipment, parts and logistical support. The aircraft-fired missiles are for the maritime patrol and anti-submarine aircraft P-8I purchased by the Indian Navy from US aerospace major Boeing.

Harpoons are all-weather, over the horizon, anti-ship missile systems.

The notification read: "This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to strengthen the US-India strategic relationship and to improve the security of an important partner which continues to be an important force for political stability, peace, and economic progress in South Asia."

The Indian government has requested a sale of 21 AGM-84L Harpoon Block II Missiles, 5 ATM-84L Harpoon Block II Training Missiles, captive air training missiles, containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, technical assistance, engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support.

India has already purchased Harpoon Block II missiles for integration on the Indian Air Force Jaguar aircraft. Moreover, Pakistan has already purchased 40 air-launched Harpoon Block II missiles.

The notification added: "The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region."

India purchased eight P-8Is for $2.13 billion in January 2009. However, the Indian Navy contracted for four additional P-8Is taking the deal past $3 billion mark, making it the biggest defence deal between India and US so far. Work has begun on the first aircraft and it will be delivered to India by early 2013 after complete testing.

P-8I is the variant of the P-8A that Boeing Defense, Space and Security is developing for the US Navy. India is the only customer for the P-8I outside the US.

The P-8I, with an operating range of 600 nautical miles, is a multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft and can operate over land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare missions; search and rescue; maritime interdiction; and long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance.

Armed with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon missiles, apart from being packed with long-range radars and sensors, the P-8Is will also boost its anti-warship and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

11. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

I have been to INS Rajali- spent 10 days at the base attending a camp. At that time they showed me the runway and the Tu 142 M- simply awesome machine. I remember it was the 2nd longest runway in Asia at the time.

The navy guy said somehing like 'this is the most advanced bomber' (he didn't say in the world or whatever). I asked him - then which is the most advanced fighter---he didn't like that question and pretty much jacked me. All in all- unforgettable experience.

Leelashankar likes this.
  12. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Absolutely correct.
    Maintenance of a common air-frame has many advantages. Just that the Avionics involved would be different. Another "plus-point" of the Poseidon air-frame is the commonalities it shares with the Boeing 737 Series (800/900) airliners, which happen to be the most common aircraft flown by the airlines in India.

13. CONNAN

P-8 LRIP Contract Expected Soon

With the second U.S. Navy/Boeing P-8A Poseidon ground-test aircraft set to go through fatigue tests this year, officials familiar with the program expect to see a low-rate initial production contract for six of the next-generation maritime patrol and antisubmarine-warfare planes to be awarded in the coming weeks.

Slated to replace the P-3C, the P-8 *— a variant of the Boeing 737-800 — has met its testing metrics, according to the most recent annual report from the Pentagon’s Director of Operational Test and Evaluation (DOT&E). “The structural testing required to clear 80% of the flight envelope was successful,†the DOT&E notes.

“Structural testing to clear 100% of the flight envelope has taken longer than expected and requires an additional seven months of scheduled testing on the S-1 test aircraft. The scheduled initial operational capability is not impacted.â€

The Navy plans to eventually buy 117 of the aircraft. The service is now flying three test aircraft at NAS Patuxent River, Md. In June, Boeing took the wings to 150% operational limit load. This resulted in the wings being fully deflected upward to their maximum level.

Speaking about the overall static test program, Fred Smith, Boeing P-8 program senior manager, says the aircraft maintained structural integrity through the full regime of static testing. “It never broke the airplane,†Smith says. “I don’t know if it’s ever happened with this type of aircraft.â€

This year’s fatigue tests will put the test aircraft through two or three lifetimes of flying.

The first of Boeing’s Production Representative Test Vehicles, aircraft T4, will join the first three flight-test planes at Patuxent River later this year. T5 will make its first flight early this year in Seattle, and also will join the test program later in the year. T6 is undergoing final assembly and will fly to Patuxent River in 2012.

Last month, Boeing also started assembly of the Indian version of the aircraft, the P-8I, which is slated for first flight later this year (Aerospace DAILY, Dec. 8, 2010).

Australia has signed a memorandum of understanding to collaborate with the U.S. Navy on the second P-8 increment. Smith says Boeing is talking to Canada about a possible contract as well. “There’s a lot of interest as this program matures,†he says.

P-8 LRIP Contract Expected Soon | AVIATION WEEK

1 person likes this.
  14. Dilemma

With 117 for the US, around 12 (8+4) for India and Australia likely to join in, spares would surely not be an issue.

15. CONNAN

i think we should be more worried about how much the plane is bugged before it is delivered to our navy