Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Boeing P-8I Neptune / Dorniers - Maritime Recce & ASW Aircrafts : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by CONNAN, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Sadly not, it doesn't seem to be on offer for India so far, which is why normal Harpoons were chosen for Jags and P8Is.

2. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

That is incorrect, both active and passive expendable buoys can be launched by the P8-A/I. The active buoy relies on either an air dropped explosive charge OR an air dropped electronic sound generator to locate/track enemy submarines. The system generates enough target track data to employ a torpedo to destroy the enemy sub, MAG Eagle is not needed.The MAG Eagle was primarily designed to stalk the contact for up to 24 hours. The MAG Eagle can also be used to form a submarine barrier by a round the clock patrol of sea lanes that the enemy is expected to use. The MAG Eagle can also provide target solution for a high altitude torpedo launch .

1 person likes this.
  3. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    I am not in position to answer in detail due to the use of smart phone only but mainly what you said is true but does not opposed to the fact that generally first contact is geting by use of passive acoustic. Generaly means that there is exeptions.

4. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

P-8A Poseidon Readied For Submarine Warfare

5. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

Boeing Dismisses Pentagon’s P-8 Poseidon Audit

6. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    Hello,
    I'm still travelling, but i have access to WI FI and i can use an I-Pad which is bigger than a I-Phone. So I can explain my position a little bit more.

Passive and active acoustic, MAD, MAG Eagle, and even Radar could be used to detect submarines. But the shorter is the range, the harder is the use of the mean to get the first contact. The second criteria of use is the cost: if you have two systems with the same performance, you will use the less costly at first. And generally you will use at last non discret systems like active acoustic.

Radar is used to detect snorkel and periscope, passive acoutic is better when the submarine don't use the snorkel, MAD and MAG Eagle are fine to get an accurate fix of the submarine when you already have an estimate of its position (to limit the area where to search) and active acoutic is used generally to attack deep sub or a sub which know that it has been detected.

MAC Eagle is certainly more discret than Mad due to the sound generated by a MPA which is bigger than that of MAC Eagle, and endurance of MAC Eagle is also better than that of MPA to make hundred of MAD Circle, so I understand that we can use this system to stalk the contact for up to 24 hours, but this has nothing to do with first contact.

To form a submarine barrier is an exeption, you need geographical context like Gilbratar or Malaka and due to the short range, you also need several MAC Eagle.

I will try to explain better when i will get a true keyboard and when i will be able to copy and past easily.

1 person likes this.
  7. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

Well death, i wouldnt enter in controversy with Pic on this very topic as he was leader of Atlantique2 program...

1 person likes this.
  8. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    I hope it will works

[video]http://www.boeing.com/advertising/bma/se/vid_se_01_01.html[/video]

9. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Hi so you finally got your hand on a keyboard?

10. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    No, i just learn how to copy and past with an i-Pad!

1 person likes this.
  11. Death.By.Chocolate

..and I work at McDonalds and flip burgers for a living. Piece of advise for you, on the internet its best to stay anonymous and try not to reveal information about your friends.

12. Death.By.Chocolate

All the sensors deployed by the P8 A/I are recoverable and reusable so cost is not a limiting factor. Also, the P8-A/I uses the same principle of TDOA using sound emitted by surface manned or unmanned vessels such as the ACTUV. The P8-A can act as a command node for the ACTUV and use the ACTUV’s on board active sonar to generate input for the P8-A's buoy. Again, none of your concerns are valid once the entire ASW system that includes the P8-A/I, MQ-4C Triton, MAG Eagle, surface vessels and ACTUV becomes operational, the P8-A is at the core of this distributed architecture and a new concept in submarine warfare.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  13. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Is it possible to integrate P-8I with some of IN's ASW assets in future?

I think IN has plans to buy a number of Tritons, I guess P-8I can be linked up to these birds right?

What kind of additional advantage would a Neptune-Triton combo pack that a lone Neptune can't?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  14. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    USA has a lot of submarine detection devices on the boats of USA and its allies, civilian as well as military, all feeds into a data base, was well and sonic devices spread over certain sections of the ocean.

USA also detects submarines via satellite is a form of Non-Acoustic Anti-Submarine Warfare (NAASW). Lasers, infrared and other detectors and synthetic aperture radar (SAR) in space may be used as part of this NAASW activity. Satellites might see subtle undersea disturbances caused by submarines, watch wave patterns on or beneath the sea surface, or detect subtle variations in ocean temperature.

All of the above and more is fed into a data base

It was planned in case of a nuclear war for the USA to launch nuclear depth bombs at locations of USSR missile submarines locations.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  15. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    You are describing the use by US Navy of P8 A. In theese scenarios P8 A is included in a large force at sea. I think that P8I will be used in such dispositive but also alone. In the latter case the sensors will not be recoverable. I don't think that India will have soon the entire ASW system that includes the P8-A/I, MQ-4C Triton, MAG Eagle, surface vessels and ACTUV.