Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Boeing P-8I Neptune / Dorniers - Maritime Recce & ASW Aircrafts : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by CONNAN, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  2. Soumya

Soumya Major STAR MEMBER

[​IMG]

This just in from Boeing: [Has] delivered the fourth P-8I maritime patrol aircraft to India on schedule, fulfilling the first half of a contract for eight aircraft.The aircraft departed from Boeing Field in Seattle and arrived May 21 at Naval Air Station Rajali, where it joined three P-8Is currently undergoing operational evaluation.

“This marks an important milestone -- the halfway point for P-8I deliveries to India,” said Dennis Swanson, BDS vice president in India. “The Indian Navy is putting the first three P-8Is through their paces operationally, and the P-8I delivered today will begin flight trials in the coming months,” said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I program manager.

Livefist: Indian Navy Gets 4th P-8I

Sree likes this.
  3. Sree

Sree Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    so glad to hear that these are all delivered to India "on schedule" ...................

4. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  5. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

IOR is already secured with induction of these P8Is armed with Harpoon and MK54. That is sea denial.
    For sea supremacy we have a flotilla of deadly frigates and destroyers.
    Indian Navy is growing leaps and bounds.

6. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    No external deployment of weapons?

7. arp2041

arp2041 FULL MEMBER

8. Paliwal Warrior

Paliwal Warrior Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

why take harpoons ? why not insists on brahmos integration ?

9. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    BrahMos is too heavy for the role, would severely limit the number of missiles that can be carried at once externally. It won't fit
    in the internal bays either. Plus, it's partly Russian so US authorities could have objections about mating US-built aircraft
    with Russian-origin weapons.

With the current level of spat between US & Russia due to the Crimea issue, it's impossible to even consider such an integration. It's
    not needed, anyway.

10. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Sukhois will anyway carry the brahmos much faster than P8I. So its a double whammy. If Mig 29ks could carry brahmos then davy jones locker will be a tight space.

11. Leelashankar

Leelashankar IDF NewBie

Flying a chopper is entirely different from flying a plane and that too with floating deck landing and take off is very difficlt. This calls for excellent skills and capabilities. I salute the two young offices for achieving the distinction of being the first Coast Guard Women Pilots. The operating environment of the bay of Bengal is no simple task. We wish them all the very best.

The Indian Coast Guard Air Station operating from the other side of the Madras airport is in itself a great job. It is good to know that they are phasing out the dorniers and other old choppers gradually... Hurray RHQ-E

12. Leelashankar

Leelashankar IDF NewBie

INS Rajali is one of the oldest Air strips in this part of India also known as Arakkonam Naval Air Station, it has an excellent airfield and strip that could handle all types of aircraft. the basic reason being the very location itself. It had been functioning from the early 1942 for the
    Royal Indian Air Force. Flying some of the best known aircrafts like De Haviland, The flying fortress YB-40, C-108, XB-38 , Westland Lysander aircrafts on support missions for the British Indian Army between May and Sep 1942. After the world war Indian air force shifted to Tambaram for citing many operational reasons.
    The air field at Arakkonam was transferred to the Navy- Eastern Comd, rehabilitated and commissioned as INS Rajali on 11 March 1992 to its present glory. It should be corrected that it is the longest military runway in Asia.

13. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    Independent Weapons Testing Comes Under Fire, Again

14. ajithharish

ajithharish 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    How many more of P8Is are we planning to induct..?

15. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    8 ordered. 5 delivered. 4 more under negotiation. total 12