Britain 'must have two aircraft carriers to be global player'

Discussion in 'U.S. & Europe' started by layman, Sep 10, 2013.

1. layman

layman Field Marshal Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United States
    Britain must have two working aircraft carriers if it wants to be a global military player, a Foreign Office parliamentary aide has said.

[​IMG]
    Mr Ellwood said: "The UK either needs a carrier capability or it does not."

A Government cost-cutting proposal to mothball or sell one of two carriers being built would be a poor use of public money, Tobias Ellwood MP said in a report for a military think tank.

Trying to rely on a single carrier would also undermine the UK’s ability to cope with international crises.

Mr Ellwood said: “The UK either needs a carrier capability or it does not.

“If it does, then a minimum of two are required in order to have one permanently available.â€

Running both carriers would cement Britain’s position as “a global player with a military power of the first rank,†he said.

The Government has yet to decide the fate of the two 65,000 ton Queen Elizabeth class carriers currently being built, but the 2010 defence review proposed selling one or keeping it mothballed to save money.

Mr Ellwood, in a report for the Royal United Services Institute, said: “A £3-billion carrier waiting in ‘suspended animation’ in Portsmouth to be activated has political consequences, as does the selling of a ship at a loss.

“Neither option is a sensible use of taxpayers’ money. Indeed, the latter should be firmly disregarded.â€

He said the lack of British carriers during the 2011 Libya campaign had meant that RAF Tornadoes and Typhoons had been forced to fly a 3,000 mile round trip from the UK to hit Col Gaddafi’s forces.

Even when a base became available in Italy, he said air raids were still four times more expensive than if they had been launched from a carrier in the Mediterranean.

Mr Ellwood, a former Army officer, said: “The carrier’s agility and independence means it is likely to be one of the first assets deployed to any hotspot around the globe.â€

He said a single carrier would only be available around 200 days per year because of maintenance work.

Last week backbenchers on the Public Accounts Committee warned the aircraft carrier programme faced further spiralling costs.

The project remained a “high risk†because technical problems had not been resolved and there was potential for “uncontrolled growth†in the final bill.

The committee also said a decision to change the type of planes to fly from the carriers had wasted tens of millions of pounds.

The Ministry of Defence had originally opted for jump jet versions of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, then switched to the carrier variant, only to return to the jump jets again last year when costs soared.

Philip Hammond, Defence Secretary, said no decision would be made on what to do with the two carriers until the 2015 strategic defence and security review.

But money saved by reverting to the jump jet F-35s meant there was the possibility of having two operational carriers.

He said: “Of course there are operational cost implications of holding two carriers available rather than one, but we will weigh very carefully the benefits of that and the costs of that in the review.â€

More Info
  2. ricky123

ricky123 FULL MEMBER

sell one to india :) ... india should buy it if thry selling
  3. layman

layman Field Marshal Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United States
  4. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    we rejected this offer back in 2009 but we should re-consider this...having brand new western carrier will increase our capability.
  5. ricky123

ricky123 FULL MEMBER

yes we should hurry if they trying to sell in loss lol
  6. jonas

jonas Major SENIOR MEMBER

Too late now,you can't have it.You missed out when you carried on being fleeced by Russia who couldn't believe their luck.
  7. Eddie

Eddie SENIOR MEMBER

Seems the "little island's" influence is shrinking day by day.:troll:
    2 people like this.
  8. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    yes we missed.... no doubt about that and that too on a russian promise.. pathetic
  9. omya

omya Major General ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    chill down guys :achmed: we dont use stuff made out of a looted money anywazzz :troll:
    1 person likes this.
  10. jonas

Yea,but the 'little island' can still build first rate ships on time and on budget,does not have to buy them from other countries,and does not have to sink to the depths of renting them.

Still the old chip on the shoulder,sad really but I suppose you need someone to blame for your shortcomings.
  11. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz ELITE MEMBER

Waste of money.
    1 person likes this.
  12. jonas

Yes I suppose it would be better spent giving more foreign aid to Pakistan!
  13. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz ELITE MEMBER

Would you stop speaking to me as if it's not my money being spent on war in far away places often for the wrong reasons.
    By all means cut the aid, from my position as a British tax payer, it's a waste. And as a Pakistani, it will help us escape from the jaws of neo-imperialism, the money never made it anywhere anyway, the political elite ate it up.

Now answer me in a way that isn't so off.

Why the bloody hell do we need two aircraft carriers?
    2 people like this.
  14. jonas

Some time ago you stated you were a Pakistani studying in the UK,who intended going back to his own country when finishing his studies. You cannot be British and a Pakistani as you claim at the same time,you must be one or the other. So I assume that you are a Pakistani now in employement in the UK and paying taxes.

If that is the case,it is incorrect of you to say why do 'we' need two carriers as you are a foreign national.

We know that the aid money doesn't make it to where it is supposed to go,unfortunately the endemic corruption in your country is something only you people can sort out.
    2 people like this.
  15. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz ELITE MEMBER

But still folks like you treat us like aliens.

I will go back, but until then I have to put up with my money being wasted on aircraft carriers and neo-imperialistic designs.

Now why don't you answer the sodding question...?

Why on earth do we need to spend on these carriers when already we are in no position financially to have such military extravagance.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013