Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Britain should accept more immigrants if it wants a free trade deal - Senior Indian diplomat

Discussion in 'Europe & Russia' started by somedude, Nov 27, 2017.

1. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The problem is that if you refuse people you can't legitimately claim there's an unforeseen shortage later. You made that shortage.

2. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    No, it's fussy. Which is fine as long as you don't later start crying about a shortage. You can't do both without being a liar. Nobody is playing with lives. Qualified is qualified.

If you need more doctors, you provide more training posts. Take responsibility for you own needs and don't expect the taxpayer to bail you out by paying the bill creating by your inept resource management.

It should use the money paid in foreign aid (EU and non-EU) to make those extra hospitals.

3. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    No, it's about generalisations. If we looked a productivity, the GDP/Capita here is 21 times India, so we could generalise on that too.

I only blame lying employers, especially unnecessary HR departments.

You're wasting your time here. Trying to tell me that UK employers are honest is like me trying to tell you that every word BBC India says is Gospel truth. UK employers will tell you they value honesty but then go on to lie more than most convicted paedophiles.

4. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Investments only come when there are high enough returns or there is low enough risk. Both don't apply when you are competing with China for manufacturing to export. There is a good reason why ... China does no play by the same rules as UK and india or any democracy does. China can force her huge prisoned population to work for virtually free. It can force its school children from rural parts to work for free under pretext of 'internship'. China can locate massively polluting industries and no one will be able to challenge that. And it can do this on scale. Meaning any manufacturing that requires low to mid-level of skills such as electric household goods, utensils, plastic ware, assembled items such as smart phones are simply not financially viable in anywhere else. If India or UK tries to do that, BBC will be after their blood crying bloody murder.

Remember how BBC reported a news story of some 100 odd girls being punished in India by stripping? Had a million primary school kids forced to do slave labour in Chinese factories, there would not have been any reporting! Because you cann't get correspondents in China! Democracy is good for people but bad for manufacturing.

So, no, competing with China in manufacturing for export is a fools errand. Nothing that India should waste her time there.

India is already producing and exporting a lot of agricultural produce and semi processed food items. Heck even China imports food items for India. A huge portion of our population is indeed involved in agriculture. If by Chemical you meant natural resources, we are already doing that. Heck we are doing decent-ish in pharma as well. Those are not the issues. The issue is to move up the value chain, we need to focus on services and that includes sending highly-skilled folks to provide services in places which have declining population. Like Germany and rest of europe and Canada / Australia. We have surplus of people by a huge order. Even if very few of them are well trained, they can bring back money to spend in India. Its much cheaper for India to train an engineer or a doctor locally who can then go and work abroad and within 10 years can bring a good amount of money back to India. These folks then start their own businesses locally in India.

Most of the highly skilled folks do not go and work in villages. Leaving aside some speciality surgons etc, most of the highly skilled folks will be localized in major metros. BTW, if I have not made it clear, I am arguing mostly about highly skilled immigration, folks who have engineering, medical degrees and well trained in their jobs. These folks can easily earn over $100K. The entire disucssion is about highly skilled folks working on time limited temporary work permits.

The entire point of that comment was to induce this reaction of yours. If you don't see any profit from a endevour why will you do that? If India does not see any profit in competing with China for a dwindling profit margin in manufacturing, why should India venture into that minefield.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Wolfpack likes this.
  5. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Again, those numbers need to be finalized after consultations with us. You can't just pull these laws out of your rear like it's some circus.

6. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Below £35k is not skilled.

7. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Which there would be if the labour is cheap, which it is. Actually, labour in China is getting more expensive and WTO tariffs still exist with China. Fair trade policy rules out child labour.

Well stripping is an unusual punishment.

It would increase if tariffs were removed.

If you're always exporting people, your own industrial base will have stunted growth.

You can't earn over $100k that easily in the UK except in London. I know, I live here, I have an engineering degree.

because more jobs actually in India would grow the internal economy faster, hence why China has out-grown India.

8. Guynextdoor

have we given you official notification that it is still? You don't have a GOI communication on this right?

BTW....you are extremely quiet on the Brexit Bil....you are paying USD 50 billion....I thought you said no such thing will happen :)

9. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I live here, I know what pay requires skill and what pay doesn't.

I've replied on that. $50bn over 40 years is a lot better than £11bn/year.

10. Guynextdoor

I live here doesn’t make a difference. You are not following protocol to work out theses numbers.

So you’re ok with giving them 50 billion without getting anything in return
    You sound defeated.

11. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    A well-trained poodle could make £25k.

We do, we get to make our own trade deals and control immigration. A lot of the money is also going to research projects where we have a stake. If we don't like the trade deal later we can also withdraw the money. Nothing is agreed until it's all agreed.

http://zeenews.india.com/world/musl...eu-countries-could-triple-report-2061614.html

12. Guynextdoor

So basically youv'e accepted defeat

13. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Not really. Like I said, if the second stage of negotiations doesn't go satisfactorily, the first stage can be deleted anyway. So this first stage was just the EU posturing, since nothing is agreed until it's all agreed.

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Qualified doesn't mean you automatically land the job. There is a difference between a student getting just getting passing marks of 50% in a exam and become qualified to a Student scoring 90% in the same exam there is a huge difference between just passed 50% student and the student who aced the exam by scoring 90% marks in it.
    In a competitive world the competition is tough, the employers ask what more can you bring to the table when compared to the other guy who is more qualified,with tons of research to back it up, in any establishment they look to recruit the best, not the mediocre just passed or just qualified for it.
    Let, me break the news for you. Your NHS and Economy simply doesnt have resources to build more hospitals,its saturated,So the number of training posts wont Increase it will stay the same,unless you find a new colony on Moon or Mars.
    Dont blame India for foreign aid,we already rejected your aid long time ago.Whatever aid you give to EU or Non-EU nations are upto your government and their policies to ponder on, nobody gives free aid,there is always a quid pro quo attached, UK wants to gloss over Imperial rule by calling it aid,when it is a bribe to secure your business,investment or trade deals..

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  15. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom