Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Change Feedback Dated 07th November 2016

Discussion in 'IDF Management' started by PARIKRAMA, Nov 7, 2016.

Tags:
?

How do you find the changes?

1. Good

83.3%
  2. Bad

12.5%
  3. Average

4.2%
  1. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Angel or Devil? Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    As stated earlier, we are in process of changing many things in the site as a whole..

Our first intention was basically form the base on which all forumers can actually find themselves a cosy place to start ..

Then with all of you folks eager participation, we have been able to get things moving ...

Now we are starting main phase of upgradation.. Over the next many days/weeks and months we will try and bring small incremental changes..

As most folks know let me state some of the changes
    1. Saffron color is replaced by Blue
    2. In each of the Home and Forum tab, we have hidden the right side all the small boxes showing section threads latest posts names.. We felt its redundant as most of the latest things are there in Home as well as in Forum top shoutbox and lot more in shoutbox (upto 35+ last updates and staff online)..
    3. The users online and numbers are there in Home page end. A similar stat is found in shoutbox as well
    4. We have tried to move some shade away from White to a bit darker for soothing eyes
    5. All the font background black content has been increased to make it a bit more catchy for eyes.

Some more small changes are there as well..

Please do give feedback on this. and pls do mention what you wish more as well.. will try and get that based on priority as well..

Pls continue to support us with quality threads, posts and let us know what more help you want from our side. We promise to bring changes step by step to meet forumer's expectations..

Regards,

Grevion and AbRaj like this.
  2. Picard

Picard Lt. Colonel RESEARCHER

Few suggestions:
    1) Text should be either black with white background or white with very dark gray or black background
    2) In that vein, shoutbox background should be of a lighter shade of gray, or white
    3) Everything else stays as it is (I'm bit biased here since I really like blue colour). And above complaints are aimed primarily at the shoutbox, though I can't say rest of the forum couldn't do with increased contrast.

I really wouldn't want this forum to turn into this:
    [​IMG]

Contrast is essential for readability, I'm saying as somewhat of a professional since I trained for a web designer (well, media technician, really, and I'm mostly in photography and writing right now) and blog is merely a very interactive web site. If you reduce contrast between text and the background, you immediately increase exhaustion and reduce enjoyability.

Some more reading:
    http://www.universalusability.com/access_by_design/text/contrast.html
    https://www.nngroup.com/articles/low-contrast/
    https://backchannel.com/how-the-web-became-unreadable-a781ddc711b6

I'm not exactly one to talk considering text size on my blog, but at least that problem can be solved with a simple Ctrl+, and I'm not gonna bother manually increasing it for every post if the preset is as it is (plus bigger text is not good for mobile devices).

3. BlackOpsIndia

BlackOpsIndia Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    Color scheme and fonts are good. Blue is better, more soothing to eyes and more Man in Blue typish.

Mercury and PARIKRAMA like this.
  4. Picard

Regarding text specifically, if this background stays as it is, then all the text should be changed to black. This includes signatures, post information (like "Picard, 2 minutes ago" that will appear in two minutes under this post and is under the above post as I type) and everything else that is currently not black.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  5. Picard

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  6. AbRaj

AbRaj Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Home page now look very clean. Very nice

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  7. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    @PARIKRAMA Sir can we introduce rating like scheme?
    And link are still hard to distinguish from normal text.

PARIKRAMA and Robinhood Pandey like this.
  8. Robinhood Pandey

Robinhood Pandey SECOND IN COMMAND Staff Member SECTION CHIEF

Country Flag:
    India
    only pending this is our tricolor main background :troll:

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  9. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    And mobile optimized pages :biggthumpup:

PARIKRAMA and Robinhood Pandey like this.
  10. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Angel or Devil? Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Thanks for the detail response.
    1. I had tried to lighten up the background shade further but a pure white even though goes best with black fonts, its kind of too much contrast for bright monitors and mobile devices, so a shade very close to white.
    2. The information in different shades of black is now made all a bit more darker as well.. Its only signature which is still in a bit lighter shade.
    upload_2016-11-7_1-57-45.png

We are planning to introduce two features
    1. Like and Unlike button in the same post (@Robinhood Pandey said it first)
    2. And a scheme of reward for quality posts.. We are proposing some options, will update you on that surely.
    Ratings as a whole we dont want to look at it .. By giving power of like and Unlike instead of present scheme of Like only, we are proposing to empower forumers to upgrade or downgrade a post directly.

The reward scheme for quality posts needs a scheme where its not rating but something more innovative and more friendly. The options includes stuff like medals as well. So lets see how we implement that over time.

@AbRaj - By link you mean which place? in the shoutbox or in normal posts?

There would be more color schemes being tested and themes as well.. One of them would be with Tri color background as well. Will take responses on the themes and background before zeroing on one of the final selections..

Thats under plan as well.. have a look now with mobile.. how do you see it .. Any difference as compared to earlier..

Picard likes this.
  11. Nilgiri

Nilgiri Lieutenant GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

Country Flag:
    India
    Like it. Could I suggest the shade of blue to be a bit darker...and also making the margins on left and right of the forum be this colour and transition to black maybe with a patterning. It will make the core area where the action takes place (eye wise) stand out better.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  12. arbit

arbit 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @PARIKRAMA The new blue colour scheme is fab, I prefer the shade as well. Contrast has also improved. Home page is also less cluttered and a lot of redundant info has been removed.
    However, I am not too hot for tricolor background as suggested before, instead a logo can be made visible at a proper location, it will get the message across and will be classier than painting the entire webpage with three shades of colour. Too in your face if you ask me.

Nilgiri and PARIKRAMA like this.
  13. VCheng

VCheng RIDER GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

An improvement. :tup:

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  14. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    @PARIKRAMA Sir in normal posts. A bit darker or different color may be dark blue or dark green?
    Not too much different but just enough to distinguish readily

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  15. AbRaj

Country Flag:
    India
    I thought its just illusion. But yes rendering is better now (not perfect but still better)

PARIKRAMA likes this.