Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Channel 4's Sri Lanka documentary draws 700,000 viewers

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Rudrakx, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudrakx

Rudrakx Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Film shown in late night slot due to shocking footage pulls in another 100,000 on +1 service.
    Channel 4's Sri Lankan horror show

2. Rudrakx

Rudrakx Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

New footage emerges of 'Sri Lanka war crimes'-Al Jazeera

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  3. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

Whos gonna Question them... since there is no Country to represent Sri Lankan Tamils... :cray:

1 person likes this.
  4. JanjaWeed

JanjaWeed Captain SENIOR MEMBER

watched the whole programme last night. Absolutely shocking. Am bit amazed at india's muted response towards the atrocities committed by the lankan army on it's own citizens. It's all well & good to say not to poke your nose on others business.. but for sake of humanity India should have done something about it, being their immediate neighbour. Even now the sufferings of those helpless people are unbearable. It's a pity that this one hr programme video is not available for viewers outside UK.

3 people like this.
  5. True Patriot

True Patriot 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

This is precisely the reason why very few people are aware of the atrocities in Sri Lanka.
    Forget about the rest of the world, most people in India would not know anything about the Lankan Tamil issue becuase the media does not give it importance. The only image people see is of Sri Lankan cricketers in IPL and appering in Advertisements

And top of that all there were some clowns from Bollywood dancing and singing there a few months after the genocide.

2 people like this.
  6. JanjaWeed

i have to agree with you. I too had a subdued view on this till yesterday & may very well be due to some of the reasons you have mentioned above. But after watching this programme last night which had some real graphic details, i got to admit that I have a different view of this alltogether. Another thing it goes to show how controlled our media in India is? free media?? ya.. right!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. True Patriot

If you had been living in India in the May 2009, right before the elections, you would have noticed that except for a few vernacular newspapers in TN nobody was reporting the issue. Much of the state media was controlled by a particular "dravidian party". At the national level I could hardly come across reports of HR violations forget about graphic images and videos. But a lot of people in TN did see a few graphic images and videos that came out of the war zone.

I want to make special mention of one respected National daily called THE H##DU that was actually showing the Lankan Army in good light. Almost everyday during the months of April and May they used to show pictures of Lankan troops "helping out" war ravaged Tamils. It was almost like a PR campaign for the SL govt.

2 people like this.
  8. JanjaWeed

& all these while i was under the impression that we have a vibrant democracy, free press & freedom of speech! I do still believe though.. but issues likes this really makes me wonder at times as to who's agenda we are fulfilling by keeping public at dark? There isn't much of a defference between this attrocities & the rwandan genocide of '94. If we can not raise our voice on these events taking place right next to our door step, how can one expect india to play a active role in the world affairs? & we are suppose to be aspiring towards becoming a superpower! Maybe we should learn to walk before running!!

1 person likes this.
  9. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

whats So Fuzz about it... when we cant raise the Voice against Corruption ... & where raising Voice against Government policies is declared Undemocratic by the Media... Welcome to the Congressis fascist ruled India...

1 person likes this.
  10. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

India keeps quiet whether it's Sri Lanka, Burma, Libya, Eygpt or Iran. It's going to have serious diplomatic consequences since we don't have a permanent voice in the security council.

11. True Patriot

We do have a vibrant democracy and freedom of press, but the press is manipulated by the rich and powerful.
    Imagine if this entire video is telecasted tomorrow on all leading English and Hindi news channels across the country, what would be the reaction? The Centre will have a new BIG problem along with the Dravidian party that was allied to them.

The people of India are still not aware of the happenings in SL. That is the reason India's response is muted.

12. bhagat

bhagat 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

oh god...

13. JanjaWeed

i don't want to get carried away by bashing the govt all the time. but even media, civil society & rest of the so called liberal intelectuals are only for those affluent urban few.

14. True Patriot

Libya, Egypt and Iran are not our next door neighbors. Neither do they have an ethnisc connection with any Indian state. Diplomatic consequences?????? What about 1971??
    Dude it is not a question of India being wary of diplomatic consequences, it is about those who are in power and their attitude towards SL Tamils for obvious reasons.

15. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

This is not 1971. If we raise voice, all other countries will do the same thing against us- they will come up with all sorts of sanctions. All India can do at the moment is help people in the form of aid and financial support but no political statements.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.