Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Chemical weapons being used in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Modern Warfare' started by Levina, Mar 2, 2017.

?

Should India produce CHEMICAL WEAPONS?

This poll will close on Oct 2, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
  1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates

These may not be confirmed reports but use of chemical weapons is real.
    Parrikar did say that we should be ready for any kind of warfare.
    Who was he hinting at? China or Pakistan?

Chemical weapons as we know level the playing field and neutralize the great power's advantage in conventional weapons - they are the poor man's equalizer or a poor man's atomic bomb.
    It doesn't discriminate, it kills everyone in its way.
    When used against civilians it causes havoc. But when used tactically against an army
    1) It lowers the combat capability of the enemy, as it forces you to clean the equipment and creates considerable obstacles.
    2) These are efficient to create obstacles and delays.

But there's some good news.When used in wrong weather conditions, efficiency of chemical weapons are reduced, and in WWI, when it was used, it caused about 4% damage.
    Though 4% sounds insignificant, chemical weapons were effective, and for this reason today, International community has banned its use.

Chemical weapons of India:
    Sometime back India had declared to the international community that it had destroyed its stockpile of chemical weapons. It is only one of the three countries to have done so. S.Korea and Albania being the other two countries.

1992: India signed the Chemical Weapons Convention declaring that it did not have any and neither intended to produce them. It ratified the convention on 2nd September 1996.

June 1997: India declared its stock of chemical weapons (1,045 tonnes of Sulfur Mustard).

2006: India had destroyed more than 75 percent of its chemical weapons/material stockpile and was granted extension for destroying (the remaining stocks by April 2009) and was expected to achieve 100 percent destruction within that time frame.

2009: India informed the UN that it had destroyed its stockpile of chemical weapons in compliance with the international Chemical Weapons Convention.
    This was cross checked by the inspectors.

Is Manohar Parrikar hinting that India will have to produce chemical weapons to keep the enemy at bay?

kiduva21, Grevion and Gessler like this.
  2. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
  3. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I doubt it...I would think he's instead hinting at the need for more NBC warfare kit & training. IA infantry & armored/mechanized units are already capable of operating in an NBC-contaminated environment. In most major AirLand exercises (like Shatrujeet conducted last year) these units are seen practicing SOPs in a contaminated battlefield. A few example pics -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As of India getting back into chem warfare...I don't think it's gonna happen and I don't think it should. Officially we destroyed our stockpiles but I'm sure that behind the scenes, a small arsenal is maintained for such weapons...plus of course, we have the technical know-how & infrastructure needed to create such weapons any time we want. Just there's no need to go open about it - it'll only invite our enemies to get a moral high ground over us in any international forum.

Inactive, Grevion and Levina like this.
  4. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Do you think India doesn't posses Chemical weapons (even after declaring and destroying a few to claim we are chemical weapons free nation?;)) Think again.

I am posting pictures which I had earlier posted on URI attack thread. See these are bodies of Pakistani soldiers and see their condition and then see what Pakistanis have tweeted about how India is using chemical weapons. Rest be assured we have all the capabilities and our adversaries will be returned what ever they throw at us with interest.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2017
    Grevion, SrNair and Levina like this.
  5. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    No..... He says

Levina and SrNair like this.
  6. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States

That's not what the use of chemical weapons looks like.

kiduva21 and Levina like this.
  7. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
    And may I tell you that was posted by Hammer Head who claims to be from India Army and was involved in recent skirmishes on border and he posted these pictures right from there and hinted same.

Levina likes this.
  8. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    It's besides the point what a guy claiming to be in the Army "hints" in regards to possible chemical weapons use, what I am saying is that those pictures themselves do not indicate or prove chemical weapons use.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Levina likes this.
  9. SrNair

SrNair Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    No.I dont think so.
    We have to invest in NBC warfare technology

Levina likes this.
  10. SrNair

SrNair Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Even though I like drastic measures .
    This kind of disturbing graphics should be avoided

Blackjay, Levina and lca-fan like this.
  11. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
    I never intended to use these photos but to prove the point I had to. India did opt out of Biological & Chemical weapons but our elite forces know how to use these and we do posses capabilities. It is only that wide spread use won't be done but special forces could use these on special events like the above ones (surgical attack).

SrNair and Levina like this.
  12. Grevion

Grevion Think Tank TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    For some reasons I did not get the notification for that tag.

OT - Yep we should maintain a limited no of stockpile of chemical weapons for just in case. Even though we are highly unlikely to use them it's always good to have more options available when planning for an BEL operation.

Levina likes this.
  13. Schwifty

Schwifty 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Just add chemical weapons to our nuclear doctrine ( or is it already added???), if any country opens up chemical weapons on our troops or people anywhere in the world then we shall initiate MAD on the said country.
    That should keep the enemy from exercising such weapons, even though it increases the scenarios for nuclear exchange with pakistan and further pushes the clock.
    I can't decide the vote until parikar gives a better briefing.Whose winning...

Levina likes this.
  14. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nay Sayers by a small margin.

Schwifty likes this.
  15. kiduva21

kiduva21 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    That is my opinion too, thermobaric bombs do most of the task a tactical chemical weapon do