Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Chief of the Army Staff General V.K. Singh's Age controversy

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by Welcome, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welcome

Welcome 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]

Chief of the Army Staff General V.K. Singh has once again petitioned the government, seeking re-examination on determination of his year of birth, utilising the statutory complaint mechanism. He filed the complaint with Defence Minister A.K. Antony under the Army Act on Friday last to decide on the year of birth on the basis of merit and available evidence.

Controversy over Gen. Singh's year of birth has been going on for the last few months, after he produced school-leaving records that he was born on May 10, 1951 and not as recorded in the Military Secretary (MS) branch, one year ahead.

While the MS branch looks after promotion and postings, the Adjutant General branch, the official record keep for salary and pension, has it as May 10, 1951. The Defence Ministry, on July 22, decided to fix his date of birth as May 10, 1950 on the basis of opinion tendered by the Attorney-General and the Union Law Ministry. The Ministry also took into account that on his promotions – as Corps Commander, Army Commander and Chief of the Army Staff – the Appointments Committee of Cabinet took 1950 as the year of birth.

Central to the issue is the line of succession, as Gen. Singh is slated to retire on June 1, 2012, but if pushed back by a year, the extension would alter it.

The Hindu : News / National : Army Chief files statutory complaint on age

2. Welcome

Welcome 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Am I Pak Army Chief? Gen Singh on age row

New Delhi: The age row involving Army Chief General VK Singh appears to be growing and taking a dramatic turn.

If reports are to be believed, General Singh has told the Defence Secretary, according to highly-placed sources, that he believes he is being treated in a manner as if he was the Army Chief of Pakistan.

The Army Chief said this to the Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma, sources said, over a week before Defence Minister AK Antony last month turned down his statutory complaint on his date of birth controversy.
    As per a report in a leading daily, Sharma had met General Singh on December 21 last year and wanted to know from him what his future plans are on the age row.

According to sources, the Army Chief told the Defence Secretary that he was fighting for the issue for honour and not for an extra year in office

Army records differently mention General Singh’s birth dates as May 10, 1950 and 1951. If the Defence Ministry accepts May 10, 1951 as his date of birth as contended by the Army Chief, he would then be entitled to an extra year in office before he retires.

The government is worried that General Singh may move court over the issue, even though he has been advised by many, including Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, against doing so.

The government is believed to be working hard to ensure the matter is settled out of court in order to avoid a division in the Army.

The Congress has already expressed concern over reports that the Army Chief may seek legal redressal on the age row.

"Armed forces are an institution, which are held high in esteem not only by the political establishment but by various sections of society.

"What is happening is definitely a matter of concern. But I would not like to go into it. Those who are charged with the responsibility or are dealing with the issue should arrive at some kind of appropriate solution," party spokesperson Manish Tewari said.

The Army Chief has also got support from former Punjab chief minister and current Congress state chief, Captain Amarinder Singh.

Singh has written a letter Antony, dated December 17, saying the controversy was affecting the Army’s morale. “We have over eight lakh ex-servicemen in Punjab, where this issue remains an active topic, as it is, I am sure, amongst ex-servicemen in other states as well. Needless to say, General VK Singh continues to get support of the vast majority,” Singh said in the letter.

Am I Pak Army Chief? Gen Singh on age row

3. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I have very clear understanding of this situation now. The Armed forces are knowing this as a Politicistaion of the armed forces. Dr. M MSingh Kohli is cousin to Montek Singh Ahluwalia who in turn is cousin to Air Marshal PS Ahluwalia. Lt. Gen Bikram Singh is a Sikh.

This whole shit has been created by Congress just before the Punjab elections to ensure that an ineligible COAS is thrust on the Indian Army so that Congress can claim that they are for the interests of the Minorities. This is a clear game for minority appeasment, but what Congress does not realise is the fact that Gen. V K Singh comes from Granadiers Regiment which has always been a composite unit of muslim Pathans of Mewat and Jaats of Haryana. The way Indian Army is being demeaned today is equivalent of the 1962 when Nehru took all the decisions. I have seen all the debates on news channals. I have even spoken to their anchors, but they cant say the truth. THe Army is being force fed to accept a Sikh General while Gen KT Patnaik from Orrisa as GOC-IN-C of the Northern Command is better suited and also has Nuke button under his thumb before GOC-IN-C East. This also alters alters the whole seniority as this will ensure that after Gen Bikram Singh, the next COAS is also a Sikh. What a shame Congress is bringing about to Indian ARMY. In 1962 we had such Generals and the outcome is Known. IN 1971 we had Manekshaw who told Indira "I have a nose like you as I too am a Parsi, Pls do not poke your nose in my affairs and I will not poke my nose in your affairs." Th result was our finest evr victory. With a belligerent China coupled with Pakistan, Are we not giving away and creating a situation like 1962? Will this Sikh appointee ever be able to stand upto the GOI to defend thee interests of this nation? Where are we headed with such caste based stooges?

When I joined and signed for NDA I willfully surrendered three out of seven of my fundamental rights as a citizen of India, But I never in my service surrendered my right as a citizen of India. Gen V K Singh must rise upto the rights of all those who have been commisioned officers in the armed forces of India and have had the honour to dorn the most coveted uniform of the world as servicemen in the history of mankind for millions of years to come. My uniform is my honour and my coffin. I DO NOT COMPROMISE ON IT.

Hell with the devisive politics of Congress.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.