Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

China flight delayed after passenger throws coins into engine for good luck

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by BMD, Jun 28, 2017.

1. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017...s-coins-engine-good-luck/#lpltpeqx4496EVQ3.97

image: https://cdn.asiancorrespondent.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/chinasouthern-940x580.jpg

[​IMG]
    image: https://cdn.asiancorrespondent.com/wp-content/themes/correspondent/library/images/facebook-f.png

[​IMG]

image: https://cdn.asiancorrespondent.com/wp-content/themes/correspondent/library/images/share-twitter.png

[​IMG]

image: https://cdn.asiancorrespondent.com/wp-content/themes/correspondent/library/images/share-pinterest.png

[​IMG]

Technicians repair the engine of a China Southern Airlines plane at Shanghai airport after a passenger threw coins into it. Source: Twitter @0GFv3gntfaHqRxS

AN ELDERLY woman was responsible for delaying her plane by more than four hours on Tuesday after she threw coins into the engine on the runway at Shanghai Pudong International Airport.

The 80-year-old woman chucked a fistful of coins into a China Southern Airlines Airbus 320 for good luck and to “wish a safe flight.” Other passengers saw the elderly woman throwing coins for “blessings” from midway up the boarding staircase and alerted authorities.

Concerned the metal could cause “serious damage” to the plane’s engine, the incident led to hours of maintenance and the plane to arrive five hours late to its destination in Guangzhou.

image: https://cdn.asiancorrespondent.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DDUznpeU0AAsGyv.jpg

[​IMG]
    Coins removed from the plane’s engine. Source: Twitter @0GFv3gntfaHqRxS

SEE ALSO: Australia: AirAsia X pilot criticised for panicked response to shaking aircraft

“A senior passenger threw coins to the plane’s engine and delayed the flight,” the airline explained on social media, as quoted by Flying Magazine.

“The passenger involved has been taken away by police. In order to make sure the flight is safe, China Southern maintenance has conducted a full exam of the plane’s engine.”

Identified by only her surname Qiu, the octogenarian reportedly threw nine coins into one of the engines.

Passengers had already been boarded and were asked to exit the plane whilst technicians removed the coins.

Read more at https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017...s-coins-engine-good-luck/#cdA88S006pcBOX2U.99

Wolfpack, Zen0, zebra7 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dagger

Dagger 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    wonder what goes on in these people s minds.. Amazing that they are alive .. don't eat something stupid for good luck..
    These old ppl shouldn't be travelling and seeing new things..

Zen0 likes this.
  3. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I worked for an airline in NYC n I personally have seen stupid people doing stupid things.
    Once, a lady took her top off to "feed" her chiwawa ( a dog ). She told the FA that he is her baby n he would stay calm as long as he is sucking on her.

Flight had to be diverted n later she was arrested for public nudity. :agree:

randomradio, R!CK, Wolfpack and 5 others like this.
  4. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I have seen the worst of it while working for a low cost airline in India and as Captain of A320. A passenger wanted to pee, he just went to the rear and tried to open rear left door to pee. He was caught just in time by air crew otherwise he wud have come crashing down from 36k ft, pissing and with few more pax following him due to sudden and rapid decompression.

randomradio, Wolfpack, Itachi and 6 others like this.
  5. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Was that on ur Boat?

Reminded me of this another lady.
    She went crazy after she found out that she couldn't open her window to get fresh air. In middle of her flight she started screaming and demanded FA to open her window cause she paid for a window seat. :facepalm:

Wolfpack and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  6. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    yes sir, I was the Captain of the flight and I had door opening sign on in the cockpit overhead panel. I called up the rear cabin and they told me the whole story. I confined the guy to his seat and used able bodied pax to ensure that he does not leave his seat again. After landing handed him over to police. What I got to know later was that this guy was using someone else's ticket to fly. Anything can happen in India.
    It happened on a Bangalore-Delhi flight and we were passing thru some real heavy weather due to monsoons. We were getting beaten around and negotiating the shit, when this happened. Initially I thought it was due to turbulence that the micro switch may have malfunctioned. Sometimes, due to very high turbulence, the door handle moves a bit and creates a false warning, so what we do is that we tell girls to just go and slam the door handle down again and the warning goes off.

7. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    haha this thread is like a breath of fresh air.

Guynextdoor likes this.
  8. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    trust me, I left Dhakkan and joined Kingfisher, I said hell with these low cost stuff. I had raised a stinging letter to the airline management pointing out how they were in complete violation of safety rules by ensuring minimum air hostesses in the air and selling food onboard which left the aft doors and the clear zone in front of cockpit door unguarded by any cabin crew when the food stuff was sold on flight. I had demanded that the airline introduce six cabin crew for each flight so that when four of them are engaged in service of pax, at least two of them are available to guard forward and aft doors. Dhakkan was such an airline which even removed curtains from the front section and reduced water uplift to 50% to save weight and thereby fuel consumption. If a pilot has to use the toilet, he informs no-1, she than blocks the alleyway with food cart and the curtains are pulled so that no one can see whn the door opens and whn the pilot comes out. She is supposed to stand behind the trolley herself to ensure that no pax comes towards it and no pax is allowed to move towards the forward section of the aircraft till the pilot has gone back to the cockpit and locked the door from inside.
    Nothing happened.

9. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    In 34 years of my aviation career spanning military and civil flying, I have realised one thing, "trouble never comes in isolation, there are always multiple of them when your chips are down".

randomradio, R!CK, Wolfpack and 4 others like this.
  10. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    you can't open the door of an a320 at 36k ft as the preasure in the aircraft is greater pressure outside of the craft pushing the door into the aircraft

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    R!CK and Fox like this.
  11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    rethink what you wrote. Cabin is pressurised to just about 8000ft and has much higher pressure inside compared to outside. If you open the door at that height, you will go out of the aircraft like a cannon shot. Airbus has suffered such incident on ground and their technician died.

SR-91 likes this.
  12. turkish

turkish Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Vstol Jockey -- When you ejected from from your Harrier Jump jet what was your experience ? How did your commending officer react when you got back to the ship ? Was he furious because millions of dollars were lost because of the ejection?

13. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    My ejection from Sea Harrier was while taking off from shore. No one questioned my decision as it was seen by all, nearly 300people on the airbase. They all saw how I struggled with the aircraft and when I ejected. I did not need to corroborate my statements as there were eye witnesses who corroborated my statement. I flew parallel to the runway after ejection as I had over 60* pitch up and over 50* roll to starboard due to strong crosswinds which was outside the limits of safe ejection from Mk10 seat of Martin baker. The seat of Sea harrier is also reclined by 29*. This ensured that I did not get any height after ejection. I had hit the ground without my parachute being deployed. It was a free fall from about 70-80 feet. had I delayed my ejection by another 0.2 seconds, the thrust vector of ejection seat wud have smashed me down on the runway and I wud have been killed.

14. turkish

turkish Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Near life and death experience changed you as a person? Did you start throwing coins into the engine for good luck like our Chinese friend :laugh: ?

Lion of Rajputana likes this.
  15. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    It actually brought me close to reality and increased my belief in Karma. I do pray to my gods but more than that, I believe in my home work (Karma).

turkish likes this.