Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Chinese Aircraft Carriers: Updates & Discussions

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by Hembo, Jun 8, 2011.

1. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Constructing IAC 1 with the same design as a retrofitted helicopter carrier would have been a disaster.

To be fair, all they had built before IAC 1 were double hulled Aframax Tankers. They never had the experience in building such a complex vessel & that accident with gearbox screwed everything up.

Things will definitely improve in the future, with them building a new 320m long drydock & associated facilities. This drydock will have a Goliath crane of 600 tonne capacity, which means that they are planning to go with much larger blocks which will reduce the build period.

2. Veeran

Veeran Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    There is anti-Chinese news written by foreign owned media in India.
    They pose as Indians.
    Example is scroll.in (Anti-Hindu, anti-china, pro-christian, pro-west)
    The aim is to push India and China into conflict course.

But that doesn't mean Chinese are not agressors.
    China has lost face.

3. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    Visit Udaipur.

4. Indian Jatt

Indian Jatt Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Man its a beautiful ship indeed, the ship building started some 5 years ago??and see they have a huge carrier, also the ships hull resembles that of a kitty hawk....also they have used island perfectly to increase the runway operations, Chinese are masters of production, you guys won't believe m, but china will have 6 carriers by 2030....

5. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    It is not a fake news forum. We cross refer.

As for the attitude towards China, need I remind you that there are actions on part of China that promote this type of thought process?

I will give you an example of an act that has taken place in front of me.

In Sikkim the Jelep La pass was held by Indian Army till 1996.. This I personally witnessed at the time. Then, under the first Joint Working Group on Sino-Indian Boundary, there was a pact made to withdraw troops from the area after due recognition as part of de-escalation model.

Indian troops withdrew with Indian 164 Mountain Brigade coming down from near the border. Result?

Today the Chinese have physically occupied the Eastern Ridge of the Jelep La Pass.

Again, in 2013 in Chumar Sector, they came across LAC and sat. We had mobilised with an aim to physically evict them. The GoI at the time took a decision not to escalate matters as they knew negotiations would work out. For over a month, we surrounded your troops (and we had enough in position to massacre the 200 odd troops of PLA there) and then de-escalation took place.

Now, do such incidents inspire confidence?

I can engage you on your nation's history with treaties and unilateral revocation of them. You consider treaties entered with sovereign nations as being transitory till a strategic advantage is attained. Typical and classical Sun Tzu art of manoeuvre! I admire the Chinese in this!

GSLV Mk III and layman like this.
  6. km小夫子

km小夫子 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    Of course we are not.Each country has its own culture and claim,Different cultures and claims lead to different result in the same thing.This is not a black or white question.Since theancient times, China's prevailing philosophy has been one that preaches "peace is most precious" and "harmony without uniformity",so if we are agressors ,in the same USA,UK,Japan,India are agressors too.When you become stronger and stronger,other countries will always be affected,actually we do nothing to them just because the cake on their plate is decreasing.

7. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Sometimes why do we feel that Chinese do have ulterior motive with every move they make in and around SCS.
    India is optimistic doesn't mean they underestimate too. May be that is what Chinese are wishing for.

8. km小夫子

km小夫子 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    I really want to go but time is not allowed,its ok because I might visite india several times,the price of flight from Kunming(my city) to NewDelhi is really reasonable,12000 rupees for 5hours direct flight.

9. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    How China’s carrier stacks up against similar vessels
    Published April 26, 2017
    SOURCE: THE STAR

[​IMG]

China is about to launch its first homebuilt aircraft carrier, once the tidal conditions are right at the dock where the vessel has been under construction in Dalian. Weighing 70,000 tonnes and 315m long and 75m wide, the still unnamed carrier is slightly larger than the Liaoning, China’s only other aircraft carrier, which was made in Ukraine.

Although the launch has been heralded by some as a sign that China is mastering naval technology, other military observers have noted China still only has about 4% of the United States’ naval capability.

China’s new carrier will not be heading off into the seas alone when it is fully operational.

Carriers operate in a formation, with the main vessel at the centre while other air and sea vessels provide defence and support.

So how does China’s aircraft carrier formation stack up against other military powers?

The Liaoning has been conducting take-off and landing drills in the South China Sea this year.

The formation comprised three guided missile destroyers, three frigates, one supply ship, plus J-15 fighter jets and several ship-borne helicopters, according to a report by the Japanese news agency Kyodo, citing the nation’s defence ministry.

UNITED STATES

Aircraft carriers: Ten in service.

Not only does the United States have the largest military in the world, but its navy also has over 75 years’ worth of carrier aviation experience.

A United States “carrier strike group” – the largest operational unit in the United States navy – is usually made up of an aircraft carrier, 7,500 personnel, a guided-missile cruiser for long-range strike capability, a flotilla of six to eight destroyers or frigates used for protecting against an air attack, an attack submarine for destroying enemy submarines and ships, an ammunition and supply ship, plus 65 to 70 aircraft.

The 333m long, 101,000-tonne, nuclear-powered USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier began patrolling in the South China Sea in February.

The strike group was earlier this month ordered to move closer to the Korean peninsula amid escalating tensions over North Korea’s nuclear programme.

The strike group includes a carrier air wing and two guided-missile destroyers, plus a guided missile cruiser, the military said.

According to the US navy website, the carrier strike group can be used to protect economic or military shipping or protect a marine amphibious force.

The US has previously said it would shift 60% of American naval assets to the Asia-Pacific region by 2020 under the Obama administration’s pivot to Asia policy.

Trump pledged during his election campaign to upgrade the US military’s hardware and manpower, including building 80 advanced warships.

BRITAIN

Aircraft carriers: Two under construction.

Britain currently has no operational aircraft carriers, but is constructing two 67,000 tonne Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers, the largest the nation has ever built.

The first, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is 280m long and was launched in 2014. It is expected to be completed and ready for operational use in 2021.

The second carrier, HMS Prince of Wales, is about two years behind it in construction.

The carriers are designed to carry up to 36 F35B stealth fighters, four Merlin helicopters and can also hold Chinooks and Apache gunships.

Each carrier’s strike group will also comprise stealth fighters, an air wing, destroyers, frigates and probably a submarine.

INDIA

Aircraft carriers: One in operation, two under construction.

India formally launched the refurbished 44,570-tonne carrier INS Vikramaditya in 2013, a Russian-built vessel.

India is also building the 40,000-tonne carrier INS Vikrant, which is expected to be completed in 2023 and is the first carrier to be completely built in India.

It will have the capacity to carry 30 aircraft, including helicopters, The Times of India reported last year.

India is also constructing the 65,000-tonne carrier INS Vishal, which will be powered by a nuclear reactor, according to the current affairs magazine The Diplomat.

It will be able to carry 55 aircraft, including 35 fixed-wing combat aircraft and 20 rotary wing aircraft.

The new carriers will replace the UK-built INS Viraat, formerly the world’s longest-serving warship, which was decommissioned in March after spending nearly 30 years in service in the Indian Navy.

Prior to that it served in Britain’s Royal Navy.

10. km小夫子

km小夫子 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    the ship building started in Nov,2013

11. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    From this statement, I don't know which world you are living in.

12. km小夫子

km小夫子 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    I dont know much about your word.there is no Sikkim any more ,its a part of india,both me and chinese gov accepte that.

13. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    Chinese have occupied a portion of Sikkim in the north, a small portion, but enough to occupation.China wants to create a corridor to Bangladesh.
    In case of Bhutan, non recognition of its northern border.
    All these because China got Tibet for the first time.
    You see, these issues were not there when Tibet was independent.
    I mean Tibet never caused these troubles.

14. km小夫子

km小夫子 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    Welcome to China if you have time,A man named Navneet living in China for 4yrs then he know what world we are.
    this is his blog
    http://rivr.sulekha.com/navneet_966439
    I am not good at English and I do not understand the etiquette of your country, if offended, forgive plz.

15. Veeran

Country Flag:
    India
    I think India and China are polar opposite nations.
    We think differently.