Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Demonetisation: News, Updates & Discussions

Discussion in 'World Economy' started by Mercury, Nov 8, 2016.

?

Vote For or Against Demonitisation

Poll closed Nov 18, 2016.
  1. Good Idea, Well Executed

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Bad Idea, Badly Executed

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Good Idea, Badly Executed

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

That guy was peddling a phishing site.

2. ASHOKSINH GOHIL

ASHOKSINH GOHIL FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Truth of demonetisation...........
    This video change your view on demonetisation....find what is reality of demonetisation and modi govt. bjp

3. YarS

YarS Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    And what are protection measures against solar storm as in 1859? They are often in our Solar System - averagely one in five hundreds years.

4. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Praying that it hit other side of the planet.

Dagger likes this.
  5. Zer0reZ

Zer0reZ 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Modi says cancelled registration of 100,000 companies

More than 300,000 firms had come under scanner for irregular transactions following the banknote ban, while licences of more than 100,000 firms had been cancelled, Modi said, without naming any company.
    "Further stern measures will be taken in the coming days against companies which are violating the law."
    The government will also take action against more than 37,000 identified "shell companies" which were found to be engaged in illegal transactions.
    "The ones who have looted the poor, will have to return to the poor," Modi said.

Nilgiri, Dagger and anant_s like this.
  6. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    the GST will force companies to register themselves to pay taxes or avail tax benefits. at which point there will be enough data to mine through and figure out shell companies, bogus companies, benami companies etc.
    this is also a way drastically increase the tax base in order to fund greater development projects. this is a serious effort to increase the economic footprint of India and Indians

Zer0reZ likes this.
  7. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Black money kidhar hai. Vo bhi wapis le aao.

8. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

I think the demonitisation is still incomplete .. to announce the benefits.
    They closed lot of shell companies.
    Lakhs of companies that were used as loop holes were under scanner..

GST is even bigger gamble .. That s likely to reduce the BJP votes.
    Every common man is affected by GST .
    Most of the factories that never paid any tax , shifts the burden of 18% tax to customer..
    Everyone is going to raise the price of products ..

No one will realize the pros and cons of GST.
    Even the salaried people whose tax is spent for everyone , still gets hurt because more burden that they have to shell out.

Example .
    Today I bought a groundnut chikki /mittai from a bakery ..
    MRP was 30 . They added rp 4 as GST .. Totally 34.

Sorry for being off topic.

Hellfire and vstol jockey like this.
  9. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    The shortage was created not by Indians but by those who wanted to convert their cash to new currency. The long lines were due to those people who came and stood in line repeatedly. The day govt introduced inking of fingers, the situation started stabilising. Even today a large number of politicians are sitting with large amount of cash and do not know how to use it. The normal market deals for using black money has fallen to just 5% per annum which used to be as high as 48% at one time in 2011. Now politicians are even willing to forgo interest provided the money can be converted to white in one year.

randomradio, zebra7 and Hellfire like this.
  10. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    This action against shell companies along with benami deals has completely broken the back of black money. Even I got notices from ROC-NCR about my companies and I had to send my CS with all relevant documents to ensure that my companies are not deregistered.

zebra7 and Sathya like this.
  11. LonewolfSandeep

LonewolfSandeep Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Again you are not getting the zest, no one is disputing Demonetisation or GST, all are in support, its the EXECUTION (or total lack of it) that is only point.
    Its in response to when someone says Jaitley is knowledgeable & very competent etc totally uncorruptible then that is totally ridiculous. All his planning execution have always been found wanting.
    At the same time, if you someone searches my post, you will even find one, where I promised to vote for Modi in next General election, me being a big fan of him, that doesnt mean all members around him are honest/capable etc..
    Its me calling a spade a spade.. (and 2 hoots to persons who blindly support congress/Bjp or outright incompetent AAP, sheep will always be sheep)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Blackjay and Sathya like this.
  12. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

True sir! Nail has been hit right on the head!

zebra7 likes this.
  13. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

But that's how politics is. Bipartisan support over something is very rare.

Most of the times you need leverage to get something done in democracies. Another option is absolute power of course, but that's even rarer.

Take GST for example, Modi said my way or the highway and all the states fell in line.

You can't fix bureaucratic issues in one or two years. Especially when vested interests clash, like the trade unions.

You are talking about the CQB carbines right?

Parrikar did bypass the process for a GTG.
    http://www.newindianexpress.com/the...-bypasses-rifle-tender-quicksand-1554859.html

But the army decided to get the MoD to launch another tender.
    http://defenceupdate.in/indian-army-issues-purchase-plan-200000-close-quarter-battle-carbine/

Parrikar attempted to launch a GTG for the Beretta as well.

Do you know why the army decided to go against that? You will probably find the answer at the bottom of this post.

The BPJs were critical and were ordered outside the process. The govt did come under attack for it as well, even if it was overshadowed by the criticism the govt faced over the Rafale GTG.

And Parrikar did attempt to initiate a GTG with Beretta anyway.

I agree with you there. And things are changing in that respect.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...s-to-private-players/articleshow/58570416.cms

I wish more could be done but the argument is no private player will keep production lines open indefinitely. If things are to change, then the army itself must insist on quality by returning defective ammunition. This is something the brass will have to get sorted with the private players as well.

The private players need frequent orders, the changes will have to come from the army's side. Rather, you can say all the armed wings, armed forces, paramilitary etc have to come up with a plan together so there is a constant supply or orders. For example, if the army is used to ordering 3 million rounds every 3 years, instead place orders for a million every year.

I was referring to the lull in artillery purchases for over 30 years because of the Bofors scandal. You don't want a scandal coming up for rifles next. You don't want scandals, period, when it comes to the military.

But yeah, I agree that OFB decided to stop indigenous manufacture was completely screwed up.

There is no "So what?" in this argument. You can't be in the midst of a scandal no matter the reason.

No, you didn't get what I was saying. You go through the MoD for acquisitions. But the Galil was qualified for a GTG since it had no competition.

You will find out why the army self-sabotaged the procurement if you continue reading.

Look at what Parrikar did.
    http://www.newindianexpress.com/the...-bypasses-rifle-tender-quicksand-1554859.html
    Perturbed with the repeated failure to purchase 44,000 close quarter battle (CQB) carbines, a crucial weapon for the Indian Army for its counter-terrorism operations in the Kashmir Valley, the Manohar Parrikar-led Ministry of Defence (MoD) will buy them directly instead of opting for the global tendering process.

The army/MoD canceled the tender just after Parrikar came to power, because of the single vendor situation. Then Parrikar initiated GTG, which most likely collapsed after he left. Now the army has launched another tender.

And have you never considered vested interests within the army itself?

Look at the dumb reason why the Beretta was rejected.
    http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...contracts-for-assault-rifles-carbines/336599/
    Industry sources said the Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA) had rejected Beretta because a safety measure on its laser visible and invisible sight was found unsuitable. The ‘sight’ on offer by Beretta, widely used in the US and other armies across the world, was fitted with a small screw, which needed to be opened before use. This screw, sources said, added purely as a safety measure, dropped off during the trials, resulting in the DGQA rejecting the ARX 160 and leaving only IWI in the reckoning.

The same thing happened to the F-16 in MMRCA. During the engine change test, which should normally have taken 1 hour, took more than 3 maybe 4 hours because one of the wheels of the cart that was used to move the engine broke. They spent most of the time just fixing the cart. LM asked for a redo, the AF refused.

So do you find the reason for rejecting the Beretta rifle warranted?

Even then, Parrikar tried to go against the flow.
    The ministry of defence has been wanting to delink the ‘sight’ from the weapon system, but the army was adamant and wanted it included. Parrikar is believed to be seeking a legal opinion on whether he can at this stage de-link the ‘sight’ from the carbine.

Why, army, why? Why can't you delink the sight and look for another sight? During indigenous production, the army was going to use a different indigenous sight anyway. The plan was to import the sight for the direct purchase and then use a BEL sight for the Indian made guns. Instead the army could have opted for the BEL sights right from the beginning. Even if the tender rules weren't flexible enough to allow that, the army could have easily asked for the BEL sights when Parrikar decided to buy guns through FMS, it's a whole new deal after all. If you can't be flexible when you have the option, then why are you expecting the MoD to be flexible about things they can't?

The army is well aware of the procurement rules and were well aware that the tender will fail if they reject Beretta. Nobody can help if you can't help yourself. So can you tell me whose fault was it?

I'll ask again, Whose fault was it?

Perhaps Lt General Shamsher Singh can tell you the real reason.

Sometimes the forces are extremely stupid as well. Maybe you need to change the way you do things instead of blaming everybody else.

CAPF are better armed because they were flexible in their procurement. Nothing special there. They chose the Beretta and are now without problems in this department.

I think this reform is going to happen in some way within the MoD for acquisitions. This will be part of the CDS reform as well. There is a need to integrate the MoD with the armed forces and the CDS will be key.

The idea is to create an organization like the French DGA.

This article is a very good read.
    http://www.idsa.in/specialfeature/french-solution-india-defence-acquisition-problem_lkbehera_290816

Anyway, the AS, JS etc have to be civilians. Giving these positions to the military is extremely dumb, no self-respecting democracy does it. Not the US, France or UK either.

This is an issue that plagues all democracies. But that's also why they have the CDS, the office that talks directly to these people.

With a common office, you won't have to confuse these poor civilians with your military jargon. You can place acquisition requests together as one unit instead of going separately.

You see, a huge chunk of your problems will disappear if you set up the CDS. So please stop blaming the MoD for all your problems.

Sincerely, set up the CDS and give the Navy Admirals the first 2 posts. All of your problems will be solved.

Regardless, this discussion had nothing to do with Parrikar himself. He's highly underrated. The articles I posted should have given you enough clues on why you have underestimated him. I really hoped he would be the DM for at least 2 terms.

14. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
  15. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India