Discussion & Updates on Palestinian statehood bid

Discussion in 'World Affairs' started by Hembo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. lucifer

lucifer FULL MEMBER

India's Right Decision on Palestine

In "India Fumbles on Palestine" (op-ed, Oct. 14), Sadanand Dhume criticizes the Indian government's support for Palestinian statehood as a "foreign policy mishap" while stating, with pictures to boot, that "no Israeli prime minister has visited India since Ariel Sharon in 2003, under the then-ruling Bharatiya Janata Party. The last visit to Israel by an Indian foreign minister took place more than a decade ago, also under the BJP."

Every government bases foreign policy on the country's best interests. Manmohan Singh's must have taken into consideration the sentiments of India's Muslim population, which is the world's second-largest and approx 14% of the population. It must have also considered the welfare of those Indian citizens, including Hindus, who work in the Gulf region.

India's United Progressive Alliance government has chosen a mature strategy. By fostering India-Israel relations "below the radar" as Mr. Dhume writes in his article, and supporting Palestinian statehood publicly, it has shown greater sensitivity to India's rife sectarian situation.
  2. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden FULL MEMBER

I totally don't understand why the Islamic world (in majority) don't support the existence of Israel.
  3. lucifer

lucifer FULL MEMBER

Netanyahu slams Palestinian refusal to hold talks

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu deplored the Palestinians' refusal to enter into direct peace talks with Israel at the upcoming international Quartet talks on Middle East peace.
    "We welcome the efforts of the Quartet to bring about direct talks with no pre-conditions, but we deplore the fact that during the Quartet meeting scheduled for October 26 such direct negotiations won't be taking place because of the opposition from the Palestinians," Netanyahu said in a statement issued by his office.
    "Only direct talks without pre-conditions can advance the peace process," Netanyahu stressed.
    Envoys of the Middle East Quartet -- the United States, the European Union, the United Nations and Russia -- will meet separately in Jerusalem October 26 with Israeli and Palestinian representatives as they seek a way forward on peace talks, the US State Department said Monday.
    "Quartet envoys will be meeting with the parties in Jerusalem on October 26 with the aim to begin preparations and develop an agenda for proceeding with the negotiations," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said in Washington, adding afterwards that "separate" meetings would be held.
    The Quartet launched an effort on September 23 to restart suspended peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, acting after Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas formally submitted his request to the United Nations for Palestine to be admitted as a full member.
    The Quartet stated last month that there would be a meeting "between the parties," meaning Israelis and Palestinians sitting down face to face to hammer out an agenda and a method of proceeding in the negotiations.
    However in Washington Toner insisted that the separate meetings next week are "in keeping with the spirit of the Quartet statement."
    Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat, told AFP in Ramallah that he had not been officially informed of the planned meeting.
    "We have no problem with meeting individually with the Quarter," Erakat explained, but added that there was "a problem" with direct talks with Israel.
    The Palestinian Authority has said it will refuse to take part in direct talks unless Israel first freeze the building of Jewish settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, something Netanyahu refuses to do.
    Two days earlier UN leader Ban Ki-moon had accused Israel of provoking the international community by approving new settlements in Palestinian territories while efforts were being made to jumpstart the peace talks.
  4. lucifer

lucifer FULL MEMBER

That would be due to their blind belief in whatever is written in koran, not understanding whether that would apply to present day scenario or not...
  5. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden FULL MEMBER

lucifer do they belief in total ethnic cleansing or do they have a plan B to relocate the Jews?
  6. lucifer

lucifer FULL MEMBER

no, I cant say what they believe in, but I have read about Islamic clerics (radical) calling on annihilation of christians and jews

A verse from koran:
    Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. (9:29)

Anyways such thinkings are present in many religious books, Old Testament would've easily rivaled the Koran if not prevailed in terms of what we today can call as barbaric acts. Even in Bhagvad Gita, cousins are fighting for power to rule over their kingdom
  7. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden FULL MEMBER

I love my cause of Atheist belief and nothing is barring me, that is some thing I love about my nation:smitten:
  8. lucifer

lucifer FULL MEMBER

^^well religion is a very personal choice, and if atheist belief answers to you, then thats the way you should go! :cheers:
  9. TereBinLaden

TereBinLaden FULL MEMBER

Well I must confess my atheist belief do not bars me from respecting any belief of religion, I respect all religious practices. My parents practices Hinduism.
  10. lucifer

lucifer FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]

(Reuters) - Arabs made a "mistake" by rejecting a 1947 U.N. proposal that would have created a Palestinian state alongside the nascent Israel, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said in an interview aired on Friday.

Palestinian leaders have always insisted that General Assembly Resolution 181, which paved the way for Jewish statehood in parts of then British-ruled Palestine, must be resisted by Arabs who went to war over it.

Decades of regional fighting have hinged on challenges to Israel's existence and expansion. By describing historical fault on the Arab side, Abbas appeared to be offering Israel an olive branch while promoting his own bid to sidestep stalled peace talks by winning U.N. recognition for a sovereign Palestine.

"At that time, 1947, there was Resolution 181, the partition plan, Palestine and Israel. Israel existed. Palestine diminished. Why?" he told Israel's top-rated Channel Two television, speaking in English.

When the interviewer suggested the reason was Jewish leaders' acceptance of the plan and its rejection by the Arabs, Abbas said: "I know, I know. It was our mistake. It was our mistake. It was an Arab mistake as a whole. But do they punish us for this mistake (for) 64 years?"

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has blamed the Palestinians for the diplomatic deadlock, citing what he described as a refusal by Abbas to recognise the roots of the conflict and encourage his people to accept the Jewish state.

Netanyahu's office declined immediate comment on Abbas's remarks, which Channel Two broadcast over the Jewish Sabbath.

Abbas, whose U.N. manoeuvring is opposed by Israel and the United States, says the problem is the Netanyahu government's continued settlement of the West Bank, where, along with the Gaza Strip, Palestinians now seek a state. Israel occupied those territories in the 1967 war and withdrew from Gaza in 2005.

U.N. solemnisation of their independence would help Palestinians pursue negotiations with Israel, which in turn could produce an "extra agreement that we put an end to the conflict," Abbas told Channel Two.

His language raised the hackles of his Islamist Hamas rivals, who control Gaza and with whom Abbas is trying to consolidate an Egyptian-brokered power-sharing accord.

Hamas opposes permanent coexistence with the Jewish state and has drawn core support from Palestinians dispossessed in the 1947-1948 war, when Israel overran Arab forces to take territory beyond that allotted it by Resolution 181.

"No one is authorised to speak on behalf of the Palestinian people and no one is authorised to wipe out any of the historical rights of our people," said Fawzi Barhoum, a Hamas spokesman in Gaza.

"There is no need for Abu Mazen (Abbas) to beg the Occupation," Barhoum said, using a Hamas term for Israel.

Alluding to political turmoil which, in U.S.-aligned countries such as Egypt and Jordan, has emboldened popular hostility to Israel, Barhoum said Abbas "should arm himself with the emerging Arab support."

Asked on Channel Two how he could bring Hamas to agree to peacemaking, Abbas, himself a refugee from a town now in northern Israel, said: "Leave it to us, and we will solve it."