Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Disgraced, Daryl Harper cribs: 'Indians above laws of cricket'

Discussion in 'Sports & Entertainment' started by xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

[​IMG]

Australian umpire Daryl Harper has admitted that he committed errors while officiating in the first cricket Test between India and the West Indies but said Indian players too did not play in the spirit of the game.

Harper, who withdrew from the third Test starting on July 6 at Roseau, Dominica after severe criticism from the Indian players, sarcastically said he should not have applied the laws of cricket to them.

“I didn't have my best game of the year but referee Jeff Crowe, who observed every ball, calculated that I had managed to get 94 per cent of all my decisions correct. That analysis was confirmed from headquarters in our Dubai office,â€￾ Harper said about the series-opener, which India won by 63 runs.

“There was one LBW against Harbhajan that would have been reversed had Decision Review System been available. I also failed to detect a no ball when West Indian Bishoo's backfoot touched the side or return crease. It's about as common as Indians eating beef burgers,â€￾ :angry::angry::angry: he told 'Headlines Today'.

Harper, who is no more a part of the ICC Elite panel of Umpires, said even the West Indies players were not happy with the on-field behaviour of the Indian players.

“West Indies expressed concern over Indian players' habit of charging at umpires when appealing which is against the spirit of the game,â€￾Harper said.

“I should never have applied the laws of cricket to Indian players,â€￾ he said sarcastically.

On his exchange of words with Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Harper said, “We did not share many pleasantries in the match.â€￾

Disgraced, Daryl Harper cribs: 'Indians above laws of cricket' - Indian Express

2. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

are all Aussies Ignorant...:sick:

1 person likes this.
  3. JanjaWeed

JanjaWeed Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Had India agreed for this DRS system, neither harper nor India would be cribbing in the first place. It was India's choice not have one & they shouldn't be complaining in the first place.
    However this 'fair play' thing coming from Harper doesn't bode well either. Afterall he is an Aussie.. & it's them who ripped this 'fair play' thing to shreds!

4. Kronus

Kronus Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Ignorant or Arrogant! He simply refuses to go down & accept that he was wrong and adds that Indian players are guilty as well. He has the attitude like " Hum to dopobe hai sanam tumko bhi le doobenge"

And WI Players will only support him as he has helped them to almost win a test match!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

Look at the way he gives excuses & Blaming India... is he a Congressi...

1 person likes this.
  6. Kronus

Kronus Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

We saw how Dhoni's dismissal was brought about even after a review by the umpire! So how can you trust the technology now! Or maybe the technology can be trusted fine but the people who operate it??? Imagine had it been the Final of the ICC WC and Dhoni was given out of a No-ball with a false replay!

1 person likes this.
  7. JanjaWeed

oh.. ya!! i thought that Dhoni issue was seperate which only came to light yesterday & i fully agree in that respect. I'l have to say though.. that's just a one off.
    However this harper thing was right after the test match & it's quite evident from the reaction of indian players that they were not happy with the overall decision making in that test. My comment was on a whole, not just on an isolated incident!

8. JanjaWeed

congress opened a branch in Australia? Daryl Harper is their Diggy in OZ??:mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  9. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

Oh god this Diggy disease is spreading like wild fire...First victim Zahil hamid of pak now Aus...where the hell is it gonna end...

10. JanjaWeed

it's a very contagious one!

1 person likes this.
  11. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

Use Nairs rightwing anti dose... prevention is better than cure...:laugh:

12. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

Dhoni should have been pulled up for his remarks: Australian media

SYDNEY: The Australian media has come down hard on the International Cricket Council (ICC) for not taking any action against Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, whose criticism of umpire Daryl Harper's performance in the first Test against West Indies led to the withdrawal of the official from the third Test.

Harper was to retire from the elite panel after the third Test, but following the criticism he chose not to officiate in what would have been his farewell match.

"Indian harassment and the ICC's inaction have seen Australian umpire Daryl Harper pull out of his farewell Test in the West Indies," reported the Australian on Friday.

"While the ICC said it was unfair criticism and defended Harper's record, it has not taken any action against India's captain. And Harper, who was about to stand in his 300th international, walked away," the report said.

The report said that there were a number of disputed decisions that upset the Indians, but they were only in that position because the Indian players and board refused to countenance the use of the Decision Review System (DRS). "Match referee Jeff Crowe did not punish Dhoni for his outburst."

India won the first Test at Kingston by 63 runs and captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said: "If the correct decisions were made, the game would have finished much earlier and I would have been in the hotel by now."

The ICC's cricket manager, Dave Richardson, defended Harper's record.

"The reality of the situation is that Daryl's statistics show his correct decision percentage in Tests involving India is 96 per cent, which is considerably higher than the international average for top-level umpires," Richardson said.

Harper's former colleague Darrell Hair supported him. "You can't have players picking and choosing umpires," Hair was quoted as saying.

The 59-year-old Harper, who has stood in 95 Tests and 174 ODIs, is not the first umpire to feel poorly treated. In 2008, Steve Bucknor was sent home by the ICC after India complained about his performance in the controversial Sydney Test against Australia. Mark Benson also walked away amid controversy over the DRS in Australia two summers ago, citing ill health.

Dhoni should have been pulled up for his remarks: Australian media - The Times of India

13. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

jheez....
    what an ignorant a**hole!

2 people like this.
  14. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

actually i didnt find it as a Big issue... but the he was Arguing to hide his Wrong doing that Pissed me off...& many Indians eat beef... so its not an issue...

15. Jungibaaz

Jungibaaz Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

still a very insensitive way of stating his argument, sort of reckless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.