Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Dravid Retires

Discussion in 'Sports & Entertainment' started by Shreeram, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shreeram

Shreeram 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Dravid Retires Today!! Lets use this thread to express our thanks and love for the "Wall of India" who played for 16 years and has been the second highest run getter

2. Shreeram

After 164 Tests spanning 16 years, Rahul Dravid has announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket.

Dravid, India's best Test No. 3 and the second-highest run-scorer in Test cricket, informed the media of his decision during a press conference at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in his home city of Bangalore, with the BCCI president N Srinivasan and former India captain Anil Kumble at his side.

"I never thought I would play for India that long. I want to thank all my junior coaches, international coaches for supporting me," said Dravid. "I have failed at times but I have never stopped trying, which is why I leave with sadness but also with pride."

"I hope the youngsters in the team do even better than I did. It's been a wonderful journey. I thank the selectors, who rarely get thanked for what they do. I thank all the captains I played under, all the teams I was part of. It's time for me to move on. I retire with sadness and pride."

Dravid's announcement was expected after a poor final tour of Australia, in which he scored 194 runs in eight innings. Prior to that, however, he was the highest run scorer in Test cricket for 2011 at the age of 38, making him the oldest active cricketer.

In 164 Tests Dravid scored 13,288 runs at an average of 52.31, with 36 centuries and 63 fifties. In 344 one-day internationals he amassed 10,889 runs – the seventh highest of all time - at 39.16, with 12 hundreds and 83 fifties. Dravid captained India in 25 Tests, winning eight, losing six and drawing 11.

Dravid, 39, made his Test debut at Lord's in June 1996 – five years after his first-class debut for Karnataka - scoring 95 in his first Test innings. His first century (148) came in his ninth Test, against South Africa in Johannesburg in January 1997. He finished his career with 36 Test centuries, the fourth most for any batsman in history, and his 164 Test caps are the third most of all time behind Sachin Tendulkar (188) and Steve Waugh (168).

Among Dravid's career highlights in Test cricket are his four successive centuries in four innings in 2002 – including 148 in India's victory at Headlingley - and his double-centuries to delivery India famous overseas victories in Adelaide and Rawalpinde. On a minefield of a Kingston pitch in 2006, Dravid's twin fifties (81 and 68) delivered India their second series victory in the West Indies, 25 years after Ajit Wadekar's team triumphed.

At home, Dravid will be best remembered for his 180 in an epic partnership with VVS Laxman in Kolkata in 2001, in which he joined Laxman with India 42 runs from an innings defeat and lifted them from ignominy to incredible triumph, as well as his twin centuries at the same venue in 2005 to beat Pakistan.

In one-day cricket, Dravid's highlights include 145 in a record stand of 318 in 45 overs with Sourav Ganguly at Taunton during the 1999 World Cup - in which he was the leading run-scorer - and a run-a-ball 153 in the company of Tendulkar to break that record with 331 in 46 overs against New Zealand in Hyderabad. Labeled a Test player in the early stages of his career, Dravid worked hard on his game to become an integral part of India's ODI team and finished with over 10,000 runs at a more than respectable average of 39.16.

Over the course of his 17-year international career, Dravid set a host of milestones. He was the first batsman to score a century in all Test-playing countries, the first batsman to score 10,000 runs at No. 3, the batsman to face the most deliveries in Test cricket, the longest in ODI cricket to not score a duck (120 innings) and finished as the man with the most catches in Test cricket.

He leaves the game as a true all-time great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  3. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    an era has come to end in world cricket.

5. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  6. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

No one in the world does Like Dravid......................

7. SuperManouverableStealth

SuperManouverableStealth FULL MEMBER

One of the most Technically Sound Player of our times...We will truly miss u Rahul...

8. SajeevJino

[​IMG]
    India's batting stalwart Rahul Dravid is likely to announce his retirment from Testcricket on Friday, bringing the curtains down an illustrious career which made him the second highest run-getter in the longer format till now.
    Although there hasn't been any official confirmation of the news but the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Thursday sent a media release about Dravid holding a joint press conference along with president N Srinivasan at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium onFriday afternoon.

- Bowling will determine our Test future, says Dravid

Mr. N. Srinivasan, president, BCCI,and Mr. Rahul Dravid will address the media at 12:30 pm on Friday, 9 March 2012, at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru the release stated.
    The 39-year-old Dravid had a disastrous tour of Australia where he scored only 194 runs in eight innings at an average of 24.25. Even more disappointing was that Dravid popularly known as 'The Wall' was bowled in six out of the eight innings as the Australian pacer Ben Hilfenhaus repeatedly breaching his defence with ease.
    There has been intense speculation about Dravid's impending retirement ever since he failed with the bat during the Australian tour.
    Dravid had already announced his retirement from One-Day Internationals after the away series against England when he was surprisingly recalled in the shorter format due to his stupendous performance in the Test series where he scored three centuries in four matches.
    One of India's greatest ever Test players, Dravid had scored a whopping 13,288 runs in 164 Tests at an average of over 52 which made him second highest scorer behind Sachin Tendulkar. He has hit 36 centuries and 63 half-centuries with 270 against Pakistan being his highestscore.
    He also has a very impressive ODI record where he had scored 10,889 runs at an average of shade less than 40. He has 12 centuries and 83 half centuries in the shorter format.
    Under his capataincy, India won away Test series in the West Indies as well as Englandbut had a disastrous 2007 World Cup where they were knocked out in the first round.

We are very greatful to him for providing us great entertainment and playing an important role in many victories of india.
    THANX A LOT ''THE WALL''

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Enjoy your retirement.

10. ManuSankar

ManuSankar Major SENIOR MEMBER

Always been my hero.Here are some of his Test records.

*Dravid holds the world record for being the first (and only) non-wicketkeeper to take 200 catches in Test cricket.

*Dravid is the 2nd cricketer to score more than 13,000 test runs.

*Has been involved in the most century partnerships in Test history - 85.

*Scored nearly 23% of the total runs put up by India (with a batting average of 102.84) in the 21 Test matches won under Ganguly's captaincy. This is the highest percentage contribution by any batsman in Test cricket history in matches won under a single captain where the captain has won more than 20 Tests.

*2nd longest streak of consecutive Tests since debut (93 + 1 in ICC XI) missed 95th test at Ahmedabad due to fever, behind Adam Gilchrist (96).

*Only player to score a century against every Test playing nation away from home.

*Involved in highest partnership made away from home for any wicket for India with vice captain Virender Sehwag of 410 runs vs Pakistan at Lahore in 2006 (also, the highest partnership between a captain and the vice captain). Only Pankaj Roy and Vinoo Mankad have scored more runs in a partnership for India, 413 vs New Zealand in Chennai (6-11 Jan 1956).

*Dravid is one among the only three batsmen to hit Test centuries in four consecutive innings. The other two are Jack Fingleton and Alan Melville. Dravid achieved this by hitting scores of 115, 148, 217 and 100* in three successive matches against England and one against the West Indies. Only Everton Weekes, with centuries in five consecutive innings, has achieved a longer sequence of consecutive Test hundreds.

*With scores of 50 or more in 7 consecutive Tests Dravid is behind only to Tendulkar (8) and Gambhir (11) among Indian batsmen. Gambhir and Viv Richards hold the world record with 11.

*He is currently 2nd among batsmen who have scored most away runs in Tests (6430 as of April 2009). Only Sachin Tendulkar (7165) has scored more away Test runs.

*He has played 150 innings of 94 tests at number 3. He has scored more than 8000 runs at this position. Both feats are world records.

*2nd Indian batsman to score twin hundreds in a Test twice, after Sunil Gavaskar. Gavaskar and Ponting are the only batsmen to score twin hundreds in a Test thrice.

*One of only three Indians to score 5 double hundreds.(each bigger than the previous 200* vs Zimbabwe, 217 vs England, 222 vs New Zealand, 233 vs Australia, 270 vs Pakistan). In fact, along with Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar, he is one of only three Indians to score 190+ on seven occasions.

*Partnering with Tendulkar, has scored more runs than any other pair, excluding opening pairs. They are the 3rd best in terms of total number of partnership runs scored by a pair in test cricket.

*Dravid has faced highest number of deliveries in test cricket, more than Allan Border's previous record of 27002 deliveries.
    *2nd highest number of fifties in test cricket after Australia's Allan Border (63) and jointly shared with compatriot Sachin Tendulkar (59)

*Rahul Dravid is the third batsman in the world after compatriot Sachin Tendulkar and Australia's Ricky Ponting to reach the 12000-run milestone in test cricket.

2 people like this.
  11. SajeevJino

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Nirvana

Nirvana Major SENIOR MEMBER

No doubt he was the "Greatest" and he will be Missed,but in the end this is part and parcel of cricket,You got to retire to make way for new one's.There are others in line too VVS and Sachin.

He did great in England tour ,he was at top form their though we lost the series clean sweep.But it was the Aussie tour that was a Disaster , not just for him but the whole team.Me be he thought "This is it".

he will be missed !! :frown:

A Short memory of my life : I Was/use to be too fond of cricket ever since my childhood,we use to have "Local team" of ourselves too.My friends use to call me "Dravid" more often for one reason,I Use to play with technique and wasn't the one who suited for "Fast cricket" format.Whenever we use to have a match,I use to read the ball,take my time and get set just like dravid.Only difference was i am a "Southpaw".

No doubt he was among the "greatest",his records speaks all :tup:

13. Shreeram

His performance against England was the best! Everyone including Sachin fell for the first three matches! Sachin stood in the last match.. till then it was only the wall!

Who observed the tears in his eyes when he finished his speech..! Seeing that even I cried! I live very close to his house in Indiranagar here I have met a few times as well when my father had gone over to his house! He is the most humble person I have ever spoken to!

But there is an indication that he may play the:

1. T-20 International
    2. IPL/CLT20

14. Nirvana

Nirvana Major SENIOR MEMBER

IPL - Yes he will,I Think he is captain of Royal's this time
    T-20 - I don't think so.if yes then it's good.No doubt he is potent player in "Fast cricket" format too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.