Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

DRDO AEW&CS Comparison With Contemporary Beam AEW Systems

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by Gessler, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    The following slides from TRISHUL offer a good insight into India's LSTAR-based
    AEW&C system mounted on an Embraer EMB-145I jet aircraft.

[MENTION=8735]safriz[/MENTION] or @anyone else with the doubts, please refer to the following slides
    to know about AEW&CS and then you may compare how it fares against the
    other 2 beam AEW radars in the region - the Swedish SAAB-Ericsson Erieye
    operated by PAF and the KongJing-200 operated by PLAAF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ Pay particular attention to the last slide. You don't find such an extensive
    array of all-round situational awareness and EW sensors on PAF Erieye, ZDK-03
    or PLAAF KJ-200
    -

PAF Erieye
    [​IMG]

PAF ZDK-03
    [​IMG]

PLAAF KJ-200
    [​IMG]

Even the same EMB-145 aircraft operated by Brazilian AF to mount their Erieyes on,
    does not have these arrays -

[​IMG]

Plus, LSTAR comes with turbofan jet engines compared to Saab-2000 or Shaanxi Y-8's
    turboprops which do not offer as much power, speed & altitude. And it comes with a mid-air refuelling
    probe which allows for a much better on-station time that the other 3 out there.

Any comparison between LSTAR-Erieye-KJ200 be done here, even as we continue
    to get new information about LSTAR radar and the EMB-145I platform.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    6 people like this.
  2. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    This picture posted recently by [MENTION=9331]BMD[/MENTION] shows the tail mounted rear-looking arrays of the situational awareness package -

[​IMG]

Note those sensors. Together, they give full 360-degree coverage against all types
    of active/semi-active/passive threats approaching the plane.

Again, you don't find such an extensive array of sensors on PAF or PLAAF AEW&C
    aircraft.

1 person likes this.
  3. safriz

safriz BANNED BANNED

All fuel consumption statistics are available in Public domain for SAAB-2000 and it costs only 600 USD per hour in fuel...
    So the turboprop is very cost effective.

4. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    How much area will it cover within one hr with that speed of a turboprop? Now calculate the fuel needed by a turboprop to cover the area which a jet flying at twice the speed and twice the height of a turboprop will cover within one hour and also what will be the fuel flow diff and cost of the fuel and maintenance cost between two. You will change your opinion.

7 people like this.
  5. kaku

kaku BANNED BANNED

arre yaar, we are talking about the national security and defense matter, not selling fruit in sabazi mandi, the cost of per hour doesnt matter much to us in this matter, maybe to your nation, but not for us.

kiduva21 and dheer1feb like this.
  6. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Some more information about the systems -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. safriz

safriz BANNED BANNED

Pakistan kay paas paisay nahi hain :D

8. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    A Close look at the S-band AESA Transmit/Receive Multi-Module (TRMM) units that the Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) is made up of -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ The silver-colored boxes in the last 2 pictures are L-band T/R modules, which appear to be part of the Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) that is also contained inside the large beam antenna.

Each of these TRMMs contain 8 individual T/R modules. It is not known how many TRMMs there are in total. Saab Erieye is known to contain 192 individual T/R modules, and it certainly isn't as sophisticated as LSTAR given how many individual T/R modules we managed to stuff in a small overall package.

I personally expect LSTAR to have atleast 50% more transmit/receive elements (S-band) than Erieye. Not including unknown number of the L-band T/R modules of the SSR.

All the above listed elements are designed under various DRDO labs and assembled by Astra Microwave Products Pvt. Ltd., a private-sector electronics company based in Hyderabad, AP.

I will try to post any more relevant information about the radars here as I happen to find it on the
    internet or offline sources.

BTW, here's something I got from another forum; India has already stepped into the sophisticated
    world of Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) technology, the building block of next-generation AESA radars.

Gallium Arsenide Enabling Technology Center (GAETEC)

Fabrication of individual 0.7 and 0.5 micron Metal-Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors (MESFETs) in
    the Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit (MMIC) form is currently underway there.

Some more info about their company, which is an external collaborative unit under DRDO -

gaetec.org (PDF File)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[MENTION=8572]Gessler[/MENTION] can you post something like this post on PHALCONS EL/M 2090.

10. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Re: DRDO AEW&CS Comparison With Contemporary Beam AEW Systems

Additionally, the S-band AESA radar of LSTAR covers a much wider spectrum of Radio Frequencies (RF)
    (1.5GHz to 3.9Ghz) compared to E/F-band radars used in Erieye (2GHz to 3GHz or 3GHz to 4Ghz only) ,
    as is shown by the following Radio Frequency Chart released by the US Department of Defence -

[​IMG]

Phalcon's details are subject to stringent secrecy. Hard to find any good technical parameters on the
    net, however if I do come across any, I will certainly post them on IDF.

2 people like this.
  11. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

THANKS.I'VE ASKED YOU THIS BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING AVAILABLE ON IAI WEBSITE TOO ABOUT THIS.WHAT IS THE RANGE OF PHALCONS?SOMEBODY TOLD ME ONLY 250 KM I KNOW IT WAS FOR EL/M 2075 and PHALCONS OF IAF HAVE 2090 WHICH IS THE MOST ADVANCED VERSION OF PHALCONS.WIKI SAYS AMERICANS CLAIM THE 2090 IS THE MOST ADVANCED SYSTEM IN THIS WORLD.

12. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    The chart of the LSTAR radar -

[​IMG]

The Ku-band SATCOM antenna -

[​IMG]

...it sits here -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  13. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India

There are 2 types of "range". 1) Search range and 2) Tracking range.

Phalcon 2090's tracking range is 400-450km, search range is around 750km.

LSTAR search range is in excess of 400km and tracking is approx 400km. The actual detection range of
    Phalcon are not available but for LSTAR it's 300km maximum for a 2 square meter RCS target.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Arrey toh phir amreeka se ya cheen se loan lao!

15. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    If your radar is elevated at a greater altitude that the other one, it will be able to scan a much
    bigger horizon.

This is similar to the radar placement principle on warships. The mast-mounted radars on Daring-class
    or Horizon-class offer a better OTH picture than the bridge/deck-mounted radars on Arleigh Burke or
    Ticonderoga-class.

So if you can put your AEW at greater altitude, it can generate a better OTH sitrep than a radar that
    is flying at lower altitude.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.