Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

DRDO test flies Rustom unmanned aircraft

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by DaRk KnIght, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Sat, Oct 16 10:00 PM
    New Delhi, Oct.16 (ANI): "RUSTOM", the medium altitude long endurance Unmanned Arial Vehicle (UAV) being developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment, a premier Defence Research and Development Organisation lab specializing in UAVs and flight control systems, was successfully flown in its maiden flight here on Saturday.

The aircraft was flown exactly as planned, up to a height of 3000 feet and remained airborne for 30 minutes and completed all mission requirements.:Yahoo: :yahoo:

It taxied, took off and landed (among the most challenging maneuvers for a UAV), using a runway at an air field owned by Taneja Aerospace, Bangalore, like a normal aircraft with the ground based pilot in full control monitoring every maneuver of the aircraft and auto mode remaining on.

Ruston, with a designed endurance of 12-15 hour, 25000 ft. altitude and 75 kg payload, is the forerunner to the more advanced Rustom H and unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV).:smokin:

The data link for this aircraft has been developed by DEAL, another DRDO laboratory and the airframe has been built by Zephyr Aerospace, Coimbatore.

The subsequent flights will test and demonstrate these capabilities such as way point navigation, altitude and endurance parameters, the systems for which have been already incorporated in the aircraft.

Dr. Prahlada, Distinguished Scientist and Chief Controller R and D (Aeronautics and Services Interaction) who was present there briefed the mission details.

Dr. G. Elangovan, distinguished Scientist and Chief Controller Research and Development (R and M), P.S. Krishnan, distinguished Scientist and Director Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), G. Natarajan, Program Director, G.

Sreenivasamurthy, Project Director, and Ajoy Raman, Chairman FRR, witnessed the flight. (ANI)

DRDO test flies Rustom unmanned aircraft - Yahoo! India News

2. Hashu

Hashu Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

great! do you know when the army/airforce will get it?

3. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Why the hell can't we make something like this?

[​IMG]

BAE System's (UK) "MANTIS" which will replace the Predator/Reapers of US in Afganistan. If US is a problem, I don't see any problem with the Brits. They are eager to sell us everything including their brand new Aircraft Carrier. I sometimes don't understand what the hell DRDO is trying to do by making so many different types of UAVs at the same time. Even "AURA" is in the pipeline as well. Make one type for recon and another for combat. The rest can be taken care of by AWACs, Micro UAVs, POSEIDONs, Satellites etc etc etc.

In this day and age when so much information is available everywhere except probably the detailed plans why does DRDO even go for re-inventing the wheel is beyond me. It took 4 years for Tupolov to start from scratch and get the full squadron of TU-142 "Bear" ready for Russian Air Force almost 40 years ago and in 2010 it takes DRDO 11 months for the second flight after the crash. Maybe stopping the pensions and threatening jail terms will get things moving faster. At this rate we will have our key weapons 50 years later, when they would be obsolete.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. Patrician

Patrician Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

^^ Because we achieved independence 63 years back and not some 250 years back. Their entire civilization is ahead of us by at least 70-80 years.

5. abirbec04

No man we do have this in our inventory ..... [​IMG]

throw out the lumbering scientists and get some engineers to work on a Indianised version of IAI Heron and weaponise it. Half the cost and time. Change the frame a little bit, make it look different and whalla you have a working functioning fine drone. "Chalta Hai" attitude is killing us, its a shame that we have the 2nd largest pool of scientists and enggs and still go so slow in every project. No need to re-invent the wheel. Reverse engineering is the key. Even Air Chief wants it.

P.S. - Israel was formed in 1948 and China in 1949.

6. Patrician

Ok now that you have written what you have, please take a moment and think about it. I'm sure I will not have to even respond then.

7. abirbec04

8. Patrician

Good for light hearted philosophical reading. Not for framing policies. Tell me if you want a word by word rebuttal.

9. abirbec04

Rebuttal of what? The article of Prof Das? Go ahead, send it to Vayu ....... probably would be good to see your article in Vayu in the coming months. :lol:

10. Patrician

Rebuttal of your post.

11. Patrician

By the way, a 'prof' openly espousing reverse engineering...do you have any idea what it entails for the broader policies of the country?

Kid, I do know a few things about these matters. I know what i'm talking and I know what I will be talking. Do you?

12. abirbec04

My post was a hypothetical scenario ......... you seem to take everything too seriously. This is not DRDO bashing but definitely I made my point, we are damn capable but the Scientists having govt. jobs and secure pensions have inertia issues. I work in US. Here you have to be at the top of your game every day, or else no job tomorrow. Appraisals are done quarterly and from top to bottom everyone has to put in equal amounts of work.

In India the corporate sector is ruthless and very professional. The govt. sector, the less said the better. Sadly, our DRDO scientists are govt. servants.

13. abirbec04

Oh now the Prof is the problem ......... what about Air Vice Chief P.K. Barbora ............. does he come under your scanner too?

IAF vice-chief prefers reverse engg to build defence systems

I think Prof Das is right on the money and don't worry, I also know plenty to talk about if you want to go into details in any subject. Anyway, you are not my uncle, hence don't try to school me.

I have made my point, RUSTOM or AURA or NISHANT, not-withstanding, we are going extremely slow on every project.

14. Patrician

I completely agree with what you have said. But how's this in accordance with your earlier post stating 'we can do this, we can do that'?

15. Patrician

I've nothing against either the prof or the air chief BUT, reverse engineering is not the answer to our problems. We need to focus on research starting right from the basic sciences.

We need to collaborate with the universities. Engage private sector. Bring in the MIC like it exists in the US. There are a lot more things we could do.

BUT NOT reverse engineering...you ever heard of IPR?

You ever heard of IPR violations in China and its effect on their defence and hi-tech industry?

Do you know what consequences can befall our economy/corporate houses as a result of widespread IPR violations?

The vice air chief also loves his country just like you and I but the way he suggested to alleviate our troubles vis a vis the defence industry is not the way to go.

Think about it...the vice air chief suggested something but yet the govt. did not consider his advice...

WHY?

Because of all the reasons I listed above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.