Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Earthquake!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Big Adda' started by Barney Stinson, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Hey guys..experienced an earthquake for the first time..One of the scariest moments of my life..The walls and sofas around were shaking..had to evacuate immediately..

Hope everyone here is fine!!!!

2. Sanjeeb Bose

Sanjeeb Bose Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

It seems all is well for now... no news of loss of life & property... I also felt it here in Kolkata... I did not see the building shaking or any of that sort... I felt just my head is spinning a bit maybe due to low Blood Pressure...

3. Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I stay at a high rise in kolkata..I felt walls of my home shaking..Even the fans and sofas was trembling..We immediately rushed out of the building..Even my head is spinning a lot till now

4. Sanjeeb Bose

Mine is a four stored building ... did not see that may be due to very good building construction with unusually big rectangular BEAMS for a four stored building.

5. Tshering22

Tshering22 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Earthquake rocks Sikkim: Emergency meeting called

New Delhi: A strong earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale rocked the northeastern state of Sikkim on Sunday evening. The earthquake, with epicentre at the Sikkim-Nepal border, was also felt across many states in the northern and eastern parts of the country.

According to the US Geological Survey, the epicentre of the quake - which hit at 6.10 pm - was located at a depth of 10 kilometre on the Sikkim-Nepal border, 68 kilometres northwest of Gangtok.

Two aftershocks of 4.8 and 4.6 magnitude also hit Sikkim, minutes after the first quake.

According to television reports, one child succumbed to injuries sustained in the quake. However, the same could not be verified.

The maximum damage was reported from Mangan in northern Sikkim, which is located close to the epicentre.

Sikkim Chief Secretary told TV channels that mobiles have stopped functioning in several parts of the state. Power failure was also reported from several areas.

Reports said the quake triggered landslides in many parts leading to blocking of several roads.

The tremors, which lasted for several seconds, were also felt in Assam, parts of West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi.

The quake also jolted neighbouring Bangladesh and Nepal sending panic across both the countries.

Reports said few houses collapsed in Bihar’s Katihar and capital Patna. However, no loss of live has been reported from there so far.

As buildings shook, people rushed out of their houses and took refuge in open places.

"We saw computers, chairs and tables rattling in our office," said Manu Singh and Binod Singh, who were among those who rushed out in the open in Ranchi, Jharkhand.

In the national capital, the tremor was felt in certain parts -- the second such experience within a fortnight after Delhiites were jolted around midnight on September 7 by an earthquake of 4.3 magnitude.

Delhi's suburb Gurgaon and some other parts of the National Capital Region experienced very mild tremor.

Immediately after the quake, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh telephoned Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling and offered him all necessary help.
    The PM also directed Cabinet Secretary to call an emergency meet. Chamling and the National Disaster Management Authority have also called emergency meets.

Seismologists consider India’s Northeast to be the sixth most earthquake-prone belt in the world.

बस इसी की कमी थी उधर.... :angry:

6. Mr Hit Smith

Mr Hit Smith 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Prepare For The After Shocks. be Alert :mod:

7. UNAM

UNAM 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Re: Earthquake rocks Sikkim: Emergency meeting called

unfortunate incident, hoping damage comes out minimum

8. UNAM

UNAM 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

damage in Sikkim is reported

9. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Earthquake in Lucknow as well...par mai so raha tha...kuch bhi pata nahi chala :confused:

10. Sanjeeb Bose

There is report of loss of life in Sikkim, IAF is flown in with essential supplies... RIP to the dead.

11. superkaif

superkaif 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I pray for all concerned

12. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm from Siliguri, and i was talking with my mom over phone when the earthquake struck. Though i felt nothing in Delhi/Noida.

13. tariqkhan18

tariqkhan18 Major Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Be safe everyone.

14. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

ITBP ( Indo Tibeten Border Police )rescues 15 foreign tourists, 150 villagers...

Great job fellaws..

1 person likes this.
  15. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

5 IAF planes pressed into service for Sikkim quake relief

NEW DELHI: Five IAF aircraft have been pressed into service for relief operations in quake-hit Sikkim where at least two persons died in the tremors.

Two persons were killed and 33 received minor injuries in Sikkim as an earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter Scale with its epicentre on Sikkim-Nepal border shook northeast and the northern parts of the country this evening.

Of the five aircraft being pressed into service, two C-130J Hercules aircraft have been deployed from Hindon to Bagdogra airbase, while two AN-32 aircraft along with another Avro aircraft have been sent for the earthquake relief operations in Sikkim, an Indian Air Force spokesperson said.

The spokesperson added that helicopters, if required, could be sent from Eastern Air Command areas for the relief operations.

A government spokesman, however, said while one aircraft is pressed into service from Palam to Bagdogra and one from Kolkata to Bagdogra, along with personnel of the National Disaster Rescue Force (NDRF) and equipment, for the relief operations.

From Bagdogra airbase, the spokesman added, the NDRF would go by road which is being facilitated by the Border Security Force (BSF) and the West Bengal government.

Times update.

C-130J made into good use...

It turns to be a smart buy considering the speedy acquiring from US>

:fans:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.