Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Eurofighter Typhoon v/s Dassault Rafale - Analysis

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by jagjitnatt, Apr 29, 2011.

?

which aircraft do you prefer

1. RAFALE

177 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. TYPHOON

150 vote(s)
    45.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahesh Alkunte

Mahesh Alkunte 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

How are A to G Abilities? Means we are talking about surgical strikes on terrorist camp, mountain heights of Himalaya and deep enemy territory airports, Payload the A to G weapons offered?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  2. Dare2

Dare2 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I'm not sure about this one when it comes to the conclusions...

3. Mahesh Alkunte

French are always welcome if they want to share...... please tell me...

4. G777

G777 Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    You do know the X-31 can hover:

I have seen Eurofighter do Hi alpha moves the same as Rafale. But I have never seen Rafale do a HERBST manuever.

I have even seen Eurofighter at airshows. Somtimes doing moves with atleast one fuel tank. Rarely near full payload.

5. Mahesh Alkunte

How are A to G Abilities? Means we are talking about surgical strikes on terrorist camp, mountain heights of Himalaya and deep enemy territory airports, Payload the A to G weapons offered?

6. Dare2

Both aircrafts FCS are limited to 30* AoA for operational use, you wont see Rafale high AoA or low speed flight-test footages before decades...

Good...

To me, looking at the aerodynamic features, politico-industrial histories and requiered specs of both, the Typhoon "superiority" in A2A is a forum legend.

The conclusions of this Rafale pilots are much more likely to reflect reality, see for yourself.
    http://www.surlering.com/article/article.php/article/capitaine-romain-pilote-de-rafale

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. Dare2

1 person likes this.
  8. G777

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I will be honest. Eurofighter hasnt got much A2G capabilities. It has demonstrated its ability very well in America while doing tests in A2G.

Eurofighter was designed to carry a payload and still be able to pull hi G manuevers. Its the reason why you see it at airshows with a fuel tank or fully loaded.

There are lots of its data on its cabability in air to ground is in the kings of swing:

http://www.indiandefence.com/forums/f17/eurofighter-typhoon-4731/index5.html

Unfortunatly to read these pages you will have to right click on the pages, go to properties and copy and paste the website into the URL.

I can try and find a better way of veiwing it if you want.

9. Dare2

There are several reasons why this is a total nonsense:

First, Typhoon lower Maximum Structural Load means it will not sustain as many G with heavy loads as a F-16 would, structurally, not in the actual F-15 FCS limits that is...

Second: As you do not know, (and as i DO for having served and learned this subject in the AdlA), weapons and their pylons are ALSO Mach and G-limited.

Even so you would like to pull more than 5.0 G with PGMs or fly supersonic, the FCs wont let you.

This means that every single aircraft today have the same A2G G limits, even F-35, there isn't a single bomb designed today nor a pylon designed to carry it which is stressed above the actual 5.0 G operational limit.

When it comes to A2A limits are generally higher, flight and firing envelop also much larger though there can be limitation as for example that of the ventral ejectors on Rafale (G).

I have no details on that of Typhoon, so i must assume they do not have this limitation although there is no evidence of the contrary either.

It doesn't really affect the operational capability as these AAMs are likely to be the first to be fired, in BVR, these limitation are due to safety conscerns in the separation topic.

The rails on which IR AAMs are attached allows for a much higher G load firing than ejectors, the actual limits are classified but 9.0 G and Mach 2.0+ are a common capability for most modern fighters.

Older AAMs could also have a more limited firing envelop, case of the AIM-9B limited to M 1.7 on Mirage III, compare to the Matra R530 and R550 which had a firing limit of M 2.0 on the same aircraft.

10. Mahesh Alkunte

Isn't she the most beautiful bird in the skies?
    Yep I bet she is
    And that kind of payload the A to A weapons can detect most stealth fighter at range of 80 km fearing facts
    Like beauty with beast inside....
    And that’s why I put her right up there with SU 30 MKI.
    See when we (Indians) compare something that has wings with MKI means we pay respect; I thank you for not starting EF v/s MKI
    but thing is we will have a ultramodern fleet of around 300 MKI and MCA, PKA FA to follow; I don't say the EF is not good as MKI; it may be better or may not be or equal
    Now look at IAF if Su 30MKI wouldn't have been there EF was obvious choice but when we know that we will be having an ultramodern A to A Air superiority fighter means what do you feel?
    And Dessalt fighters have proven there Mattel in Kargil war! Means flying in Himalayan range is not a jock nor is it a jock to do surgical strikes in deep enemy territory and airports.
    we talk about missions operated from aircraft carrier flying over sea and bombing docks on Arabian sea and bombing docks a compleat sea blocked you know what we did to Cox bazaar in BanglaWar or Goa in Portugal war.

11. G777

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom

12. Mahesh Alkunte

EF is born to kill and as I stated earlier she is beauty with beast inside I would like to have 100 Rafale and EF 100 10 bn each :yes2:

1 person likes this.
  13. Dare2

It doesn't change ANYTHING to what i said.

14. Mahesh Alkunte

Gee I am feeling like we are comparing a NINJA ASSASSIN (EF) with a SPARTEN WARRIOR (RAFALE)

15. G777

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry Mahesh Alkunte.

I was going post somthing in reply but I was going to get banned for posting an article when I wasnt even using an article?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.