Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

EXCLUSIVE: India's LCA AESA Radar Programme Detailed

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by hotstud69, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotstud69

hotstud69 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The images above, seen here for the first time, are from official material on the Indian AESA radar project for the LCA Tejas, shared with LiveFist. Indian state-owned radar developer Electronics R&D Establishment (LRDE) is in the process of identifying a development partner (DP) for an indigenous AESA radar for future tranches of the Tejas and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) and is likely to make a final decision shortly. The radar has begun development in the country. According to official updated material made available to LiveFist, the fully solid-state X-band radar is being developed with the following modes:

Air-to-Air: Multi-target detection and tracking / Multi target ACM (Air-to-Air combat mode) / High resolution raid assessment

Air-to-Ground: High Resolution mapping (SAR mode) / AGR – Air to Ground Ranging / RBM – Real Beam Mapping / DBS – Doppler Beam Sharpening / Ground Moving Target Indication (GMTI) / Ground Moving Target Tracking (GMTT) / Terrain Avoidance (TA)

Air-to-Sea: Sea search and multi target tracking / Range Signature (RS) / Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR)

As I've reported here before, the development partner that LRDE identifies will be responsible for "detailed design, development and realisation" of (a) antenna panel constisting of main antenna, guard antenna and sidelobe cancellation antenna, (b) transmit/receive modules/groups, (c) RF distribution network consisting of RF manifold/combiners, RF interface, (d) antenna/beam control chain consisting of T/R control and T/R group control, and (e) array calibration/BITE among other areas

reported by livefist

7 people like this.
  2. Arjun MBT

Arjun MBT Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Wonderful News, Will This be ready On time when LCA MK2 Is Staged to display?? Well Making would not be a Problem For LRDE as They have done It for AWACS of Ours, But Miniaturizing it would surely take time ... Could Anyone Clarify a Bit about it?

3. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

what do they mean by looking for a development partner....any foriegn partner

4. gowthamraj

gowthamraj Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

No time frame given , so we expect it for mca

5. Arjun MBT

Arjun MBT Captain SENIOR MEMBER

But this is an LCA AESA radar program

6. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

This line says it all.

They are still looking for a development partner. So that means development has not started yet. I was surprised to see AESA images from LRDE, for a moment I was happy that I had been wrong all the way, until I read the above line.

Development would take at least 3-4 years. Don't expect to see it on the MkII of Tejas. Expect it only on versions beyond 2015.

7. prototype

may b the later variants of mk-2 be equipped with aesa radars or even we can say what is the guarantee that mk-2 will b rolled out before 2015

8. jagjitnatt

the thing is that only 40 Mk I aircraft will be manufactured. We will have them by 2013 or 14 starting. We can't wait two more years just to let LRDE complete its radar.

I guess this would be installed on Tejas Mk III or as an upgrade on Mk II in 2017 or so.

Also remember, LRDE is still looking for development partner. Its hasn't got one. It will take time in selecting them and working out the papers and signing the deals. It is only then that the development would start. So its gonna take a lot of time now.

9. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Any more details about this Radar?
    Range
    No of targets it can track/engage
    No of modules
    Power

10. jagjitnatt

The radar specs don't exist till now. Once we get a partner, then plans would be made and a concrete spec sheet would be created, it is only then we would be able to say something about it, sometime around 2011 mid.

11. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I think we should collaborate with Thales or Russia's Thikorimov.

12. jagjitnatt

I think its gonna be Israeli ELTA, since we're already using ELTA 2032 radar on Mk I, and ELTA has come up with 2052 AESA radar. They're gonna use it on F-16s and we can use that radar antenna along with Indian signal processing components on Mk II.

13. hotstud69

hotstud69 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  14. jagjitnatt

15. prototype

why should we purchase su-35,it is considered a close cousin of mki,and when did they offered it to us?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.