Eyesight Requirements For Indian Army

Discussion in 'Military Forum' started by Indian Infantry, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Indian Infantry

Indian Infantry FULL MEMBER

Am 16 and a half of age, 6 feet tall and of robust health. Intend to apply for NDA however I've had this nagging doubt as to if my eyesight is up acceptable standards. I've asked some retired officers and they say once can be practically blind as long as corrected vision in 6/6. Seeing spectacled serving officers and cadets also makes me wonder if it'd be possible for me to apply.

Presently
    Uncorrected
    Left Eye 6/9
    Right Eye 6/36

Corrected
    Left Eye 6/6
    Right Eye 6/6

I've checked the UPSC and Indian Army sites as well but they're kinda vague. I'd really appreciate it if someone with accurate knowledge could clear up these doubts for me. Thanks in advance.
  2. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt ELITE MEMBER

The eye sight needs to be a corrected 6/6. But, a Big BUT, it isn't always the case. A lot depends on the examiner, the doctor performing the medical examination. In any Military Hospital, the worst job for a doctor is medical fitness test, he hates doing it. So, he's always rude, bashing, and doesn't wanna pass you that easily. Sometimes they reject you for the slightest of the reasons.

So, I recommend you start performing yoga, take lots of vitamin A, drink carrot juice, and eat black pepper with ghee. That will improve your eye sight. I've seen 6/9 being rejected at times, who later appealed, and got through.
    Also if you are thinking of getting laser surgery, then make sure its done before 6 months of the SSB interview. And you shouldn't hide it from them. They find it out easily and reject you if you lie. A laser surgery done before 6 months of interview is acceptable.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Indian Infantry

So there exist no hard and fast procedures for a matter as important as officer selection. Odd Thanks anyway.
  4. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt ELITE MEMBER

There are rules, but they are not always followed. I have personal experience with these people and know it perfectly. I personally know 10-12 doctors who perform medical examination for SSB, and know how they deal with it.
  5. Indian Infantry

Oh, that's worrying. In case of a flawed decision does the review board always get it right? (Just whom does the board comprise of?)
  6. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt ELITE MEMBER

This is the reason I recommend candidates to get a medical examination done at their local hospital. This way they can correct any problems, and even know if they have any major problem.

If you know that the doctor at the SSB medical examination is wrong and failed you without reasons, you can appeal at RK Puram, and they will arrange for another medical within 60 days of the first medical. This medical will be performed at a different hospital, most probably RR, Delhi, or Base hospital Delhi.

Things are not very different here, but they know that you appealed a previous decision, which means you really wanna join the forces. So they help you out and examine you correctly.
  7. kavishnagpal

kavishnagpal REGISTERED

hello sir.. there is a huge misconception which i hold regarding the age limit structure in case i wana give ima(cds)... my date of birth is 7thnov1989...plz help me regarding this ..thakyu :)
  8. tejas

tejas REGISTERED

sir,my knees touch each other when istand how can i get rid of this also i have short sight,how to overcome this ,is laser surgery allowed,how can i appeal if i am rejected due to this
  9. arnik_jain

arnik_jain REGISTERED

hi: plz help to my queries:
    i will be appearing for CDSE this September. I have two medical challenges that are to be taken care of.
    today i got to know through ENT doc that i have a perforated ear drum( i mean a minute hole in the ear drum).This can be easily repaired by a small surgery by patching it with typatic membrane and then every thing gets normal. Will this be a barried to my SSB Medical test. Can anyone reply asap?????
    I have hyper myopia and would want to go for laser surgery next month. Which type of laser surgery Sholud i undergo?????
  10. SajeevJino

SajeevJino SENIOR MEMBER

ooops..

I think they didn't allow such type of operations....BUT NOT CONFIRM..

BETTER TO NEED reviews from other members...
  11. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt ELITE MEMBER

Perforated ear drum will get you into trouble in a medical. It depends on how big it is. If its very small, surgery will help you and you'll pass the medical too. But if its big, then you might get into trouble at the medical.

Its best if you can consult a army doctor, and let him take a look at your ear.

For laser surgery, you don't need to do it if you have mild myopia or hypermetropia ie. correctable by lenses, it is allowed in Army, not in Navy or Airforce.

If you do wanna get lasik done, get it done at least 6 months before the medical date, as that is the minimum period required to check how well it is done, and if you have good vision after 6 months of lasik, you will be selected.
  12. Dr. Sujay Chauhan

Dr. Sujay Chauhan REGISTERED

Sir, I am a doctor and wish to serve the military forces. The issue I am worried of is my eye-sight being -6.00. I wished to know if there is any vision restriction for doctors.
  13. Rajesh(ME)

Rajesh(ME) REGISTERED

Hi Sir, I am a btech graduate in mechanical engineering. i have been called up for SSB interview on Feb2013 for SSC(Tech)-40:APR 2013 course, which I have applied. But, I have an eye sight of -5.00 both eyes. I am very much interested to serve Indian Army. So, can you please let me know whether I can undergo Laser treatment and apply for the next SSC(Tech)?? And if yes, how much time gap should be maintained after surgery?