Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

F16, Gripen - Make In India Single Engine Aircraft - News and possibilities

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Averageamerican, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Unless the PM once again wants a bad photo opp, I don't see him torpedoing his own SPM. It's far too crucial for the credibility of the government and to let the privat industry see, that they are serious about diverting major parts of the defence, to let this JV or the visit come in the way.

However, as I always said, with this PM and Trump, we simply can't rule anything out!

Btw, Indian customizations doesn't necessarily mean Indian parts or Indian weapons. Even for Rafale it mainly means Israeli stuff over the French stuff that were on offer or not available yet. There is no reason to believe, that an IAF F16 would not come with Python V, Litening or Spice PGMs.
    But in any case, it's the worst case scenario! :tsk:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    SrNair, Grevion, PARIKRAMA and 3 others like this.
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    F-16 Soufa already carries everything that we buy from Israel.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  3. zebra7

zebra7 Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Are you submitting your design based on Single engine or twin engine configuration for the IAF. I understand that the RFI is for the single engine MRCA but will you offer your twin engine spec. design also.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  4. Bregs

Bregs Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Rest in peace to Tejas and probability of US sanctioning us during war time is 50:50. Bad move bad decision. US-India interest will never permanently align

http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...make-f-16-planes-in-india/article19103597.ece

In announcing their agreement at the Paris Airshow, Lockheed and Tata said moving the production base to India would still retain jobs in the US.
    [​IMG]

Lockheed Martin signed an agreement with India's Tata Advanced Systems on Monday to produce F-16 fighter planes in India, pressing ahead with a plan to shift its Fort Worth, Texas plant to win billions of dollars worth of order from the Indian military.

India's air force needs hundreds of aircraft to replace its Soviet-era fleet, but Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government has said foreign suppliers would have to make the planes in India with a local partner to help build a domestic industrial base and cut outright imports.

But Mr. Modi's Make-in-India drive runs the risk of conflicting with U.S. President Donald Trump's America First campaign under which he has been pressing for companies to invest in the United States and create jobs instead of setting up factories abroad.

In announcing their agreement at the Paris Airshow, Lockheed and Tata said moving the production base to India would still retain jobs in the United States.

“F-16 production in India supports thousands of Lockheed Martin and F-16 supplier jobs in the U.S., creates new manufacturing jobs in India, and positions Indian industry at the center of the most extensive fighter aircraft supply ecosystem in the world,” a joint statement by the firms said.

Sweden's Saab is the other contender to supply the Indian Air Force, offering to make its Gripen fighter in India. It has not yet announced a local partner for the plane which it has pitched as a modern alternative to the F-16s.

The announcement comes days before Mr. Modi travels to Washington for a first meeting with Mr. Trump, scheduled for June. 26. India and the United States have built a close defence relationship in recent years with Washington emerging as among the top three arms suppliers to India, along with Russia and Israel.

India will also have the chance to export the F-16 that is flown by air forces around the world, the joint statement said. Some 3,200 of these planes are being flown by 26 countries and the model that is being offered to India will be Block 70, the most modern of all the F-16s.

“This unprecedented F-16 production partnership between the worlds largest defense contractor and Indias premier industrial house provides India the opportunity to produce, operate and export F-16 Block 70 aircraft, the newest and most advanced version of the worlds most successful, combat-proven multi-role fighter,” the statement said.

Tata is already building airframe components for the C-130 military transport aircraft.

India has not opened formal bidding for the jet order, which is expected to be anything from 100 planes to 250.

SrNair, randomradio and PARIKRAMA like this.
  5. nair

nair Guest

Uncle Sam is squeezing us ... and I do not see a single advantage for I did a in this deal....

6. nair

nair Guest

Bang your heads....Modi is also screwing us

Schwifty, SrNair, Blackjay and 6 others like this.
  7. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I had told you about my decision to go for twin engine LSA is based on the need for survivability in Indian conditions which has very large number of bird strikes.

I had written here last year that NaMo is more inclined to use weapon deals to push for our Foreign policy goals. All this talk of MII is nothing but yet another Jumla. even the Privaye industry about which tons of superior words have been used here are actually puppets and they are the ones who are pushing for these deals. So now we have every monkey with a piece of bread. Rafale-GuruBhai, F-16-Tatas, ATAGS-Kalyani, Submarines-L&T. K9 SPH-Mahindra and so on. Indian Industry is not ready to put its money unless they have firm orders in there hand and th new design.

randomradio, Grevion and zebra7 like this.
  8. Bregs

Bregs Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Oh dear very bad decision by govt not in far distant future be ready to see another su 35 in your neighbourhood. Diversifying our needs from Russia were understandable but such blatant tilt towards US has weakened us as a nation as we are also signing many agreements with US to compromise our independent foreign policy

9. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I see TAta getting the deal is the only positive..

If I were ultranationalist i will give up pawn to get the queen.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  10. arbit

arbit 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    As long as F 16 works I am fine. This is fine geopolitics at play. We can not rely on Russia in the long term as far as china is concerned. If push comes to shove, Russia will opt for China.
    So where does that leave us with 'Non alignment' (US), weaker relations (Russia), strong adversary (China), maniacal B***h (pakistan) in the near vicinity?
    We have to make decisions, form a network of 'mutual interests' and somewhere a balance will have to be struck. I believe that striking a deal to build/assemble F-16 in India will neutralise pakistan airforce at the very least, with European vendors also out of the fray in providing jets.

So France as an option. Gone.
    US as an option. Gone.
    Sweden. Cant afford. They won't subsidise the jets

Frankly I wouldn't lost much sleep over this deal as there will be no restrictions on these jets against china. And for pakistan we won't field them anyway with MKIs and Mirages and Rafales providing the numbers.

PS- One thing i hope for though, is that they extract something strategic as @PARIKRAMA has rightly said (hoped) too :p

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Worst part is that this aircraft will eat into the orders for more Rafale and LCA. We will be stuck with an aircraft which will remain on ground during war.

12. nair

nair Guest

What is "queen" here?

PARIKRAMA and Bregs like this.
  13. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate THINKER

Country Flag:
    India

[​IMG]

@PARIKRAMA Recall our conversation elsewhere? My effs :D

Ah ... the political decision if this does occur. I always maintained the Effs will come :)

PS: Hold your horses, this is posturing.

14. zebra7

zebra7 Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Exactly, thats what many members fails to understand, and start comparing indigenous product with the the foreign product and their shinny brouchers. Without the numbers, and a fixed policy, to ensure that project will continue, how can anyone put their money for the long term plan. Why would anyone put on the money for a small number of LCA, when he is not assured that the govt. will continue with the LCA MK2 and after that AMCA.

Anyway, knew it and rest assure between F-16 and Gripen, there is no chance of Gripen, since 40 percentage of the equipments are American, and Sweden don't have the Strategic advantage against the mighty USA, and last but the Best, the US have the Trump, who is a buisness man first, and he knew verywell how to exploit the weakness of the competitor.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  15. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    POK