Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

F16, Gripen - Make In India Single Engine Aircraft - News and possibilities

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Averageamerican, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

The J-31's not a realistic program unless the PLA also invests in it.

2. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Why don't you guys wait for official announcement for SE jet Procurement.
    I also don't like any of f-16 and GRIPEN for IAF but one of the choice is essential to meet IAF needs.
    Hopefully, more feasible deal will be selected out of the available choices.

3. randomradio

Pakistan should be able to afford Typhoons by 2022 or 2023, they are getting richer after all.

It may have more to do with the fact that it's not as good as the F-16 already is.

The thing about the Chinese is they don't give away their best tech, they only provide export tech even to Pakistan. This will apply to all their technologies, not just the J-10.

I suspect it will be the TFX.

Gessler likes this.
  4. randomradio

IMHO, all the deals will happen, they will just happen slower than we would like.

X_Killer likes this.
  5. mugundhan

mugundhan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sir I dnt know whether it's fortunate or unfortunate indian military is always work under government, not like pak

6. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    well if there investing in a avation city then id imagine some sort of funds avalible. you do know there's financing options right? an example would be if i can't afford a £900,000.00 house then id get a loan or a low interest mortgage.
    as for the j10 from what i can tell it was not a problem getting a third party export licence but the engines them self that were the problem and they have caused a few crashed.

as for the pakistani f16's the mlu increase the frame life which is why its called an mlu. the j-31 is estimated to go for about $80 million so thats quiet a good price there.
    i thought it was plaan? (navy) it would replace the j15. who knows. i wont be surprised if they have a repeat of the jf-17 project but i expect a chinese mod investment too as one day it would need to replace old j10's

7. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    "Investing" is the key word. It's got some potential for return on that investment so it might make sense - purchase is a different thing. Once they buy something, they don't get much back from it money-wise.

Yes they adopt these options, that's how they're getting most of what they're getting now. But still there are limitations. Otherwise Pakistan would have already bought one of the Eurocanards long ago.

Somehow I doubt that as the AL-31FN is arguably a far better engine than the RD-33 they operate on the Jf-17s (which also caused at least 1 crash, although no details were revealed about the causes of 2nd crash). The Klimov engine also has very poor serviceability (TBO) compared to the -31FN.

Given the fact that PAF RD-33s are routed through China to Russia for their maintenance (Klimov MRO doesn't deal with Pakistanis directly), one would think the PAF would be overjoyed to receive an engine that requires far less maintenance than what they use now.

That said, I'm not very confident of using Russian turbofans on single-engine fighters either.

8. Blue Marlin

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    depend on how you define roi in their case that would be tech/knowhow
    they looked at the rafale in the early 2000's and found dassault charging exorbitant pricing which proved to be true when compared to the prices they gave to singapore (who eventually went for the f15)
    id think the opposite id go for the rd-93 over the al-31 series engines anyday.
    they even said so themself's, i dont think russia overhauls the engines ever since the weapons ban was dropped against pakistan an overhaul facility is in the works I've been told but dependent on what the block 3 is powered by they may extend that to assembling perishables too.

9. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Why is that?

10. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

No it just means that you get into false conclusions once again, although he even clearly says:

It's just your fantasy that constructs a false relation between LCA and the SE tender, or the claim that IAF wanted SE's. The air chief even repeated the same points in an NDTV interview as well:

http://indiandefence.com/threads/rafale-deal-signed.56201/page-280#post-562734

The SE is meant for the medium class requirement and as an alternative for Rafales (unless Dassault offers a good deal) to fill the void the cancelled MMRCA tender has left!

11. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    The F-16 deal isn't remotely ideal, but as mentioned, the defense pacts and alliances that can be gained from this purchase, and the offer of moving to F-35's in the future after F-16's, are important enough to justify a limited purchase of F-16's.

So a compromise between a politically motivated F-16 order and increased numbers of Rafales as suggested by IAF is likely the best option.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  12. Blue Marlin

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    compare single engined al-31 powered crafts (j10) vs se powered rd-93 powered crafts(jf-17) and you tell me which one has crashed more frequently due to engine related issues? twin engined fighters are exempt for obvious reasons.

13. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States

I imagine, in such a situation, India acquiring the latest F-16's in greater numbers than Pakistan ever had as the IAF's lowest rung fighter (even though they are the absolute pride and joy of the PAF) would be even more demoralizing, wouldn't it?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  14. Blue Marlin

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    your right it is the solution, just dont forget to ask for the source codes.:lol:

but they wont get access for critical components such as the iff interrogator being one example.

oh defiantly

15. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Not just PAF but the ignorant Pak masses, since the Rafale deal was announced in India the Pakistanis have been desperate to announce a "counter" (ignoring the 300+ MKIs they will never have a "counter" for), a deal for the EFT for any quantity/value will largely satisfy these clowns.

The Pak mil is largely unconcerned with being a paper tiger, the perception of being strong is all that matters to them as it allows them to continue their strangle hold on their failed nation. If they are perceived to be weak/failing to match their "true enemy" evil yindoo India then some questions will start being asked internally in Pakistan and this the Pak mil cannot allow.

Funny part is any EFT buy by the PAF (no matter how ill-suited/outdated the planes may be) will only play into the IAF's hands and allow them to justify their demands for even more Rafales (and no F16s) :D

Blackjay, Shekhar Singh and Grevion like this.