Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

F16, Gripen - Make In India Single Engine Aircraft - News and possibilities

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Averageamerican, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

The navy killed it. And the IAF don't need it since the Mk1A will give them everything they need.

Mk2 will be developed, but it won't amount to anything more than a development aircraft. Perhaps exports is a possibility.

Angel Eyes likes this.
  2. LonewolfSandeep

LonewolfSandeep Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Also Notice how close its for Rafale as well
    [​IMG]
    less load effectively...

kiduva21 and Levina like this.
  3. Levina

Levina Guest

Don't mind me asking this, but are you a veteran?

Blackjay likes this.
  4. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Navy hasn't killed MK.2, they are still actively developing seperately to the AF MK.2 development team.

Having said that, I highly doubt the MK.2 LCA will enter frontline carrier roles with the Navy, they are clearly only interested in MMRCAs for their carrier fighters BUT the LCA MK.2 will allow the Navy to build up their expertise and lay good foundations for the N-AMCA.

Angel Eyes and LonewolfSandeep like this.
  5. randomradio

When I said the navy killed it, I meant it won't be produced for Indian forces.

Angel Eyes and LonewolfSandeep like this.
  6. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    It will still be developed, tested and validated- not exactly "killed".

There's a question mark on the MK.2 for the IAF, if the IAF go for this absurd foreign SE deal then the MK.2 AF will be killed outright and that may just take the Navy Mk.2 project down also.

7. LonewolfSandeep

LonewolfSandeep Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What @randomradio meant is Mk2 wont be for Induction locally, max for Development experience to be used for N.AMCA later..
    Export if any bonus, unlikely though..

Abingdonboy likes this.
  8. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    In the next 10 years I wouldn't rule out some MK.2 orders for the IN primarily for carrier qualification/LIFT roles and perhaps even some air policing duties (say in the A&N islands). The Mk.2 is going to be a relatively cheap product that will offer a lot of bang for its buck, if the navy doesn't want to take precious life out of their frontline MMRCAs, the MK.2 will be a great option.

LonewolfSandeep likes this.
  9. Blackjay

Blackjay Developers Guild IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    On the discussion of mk2.For what it's worth.Following was posted on another indian forum two days ago.I don't believe I am allowed to post link here but credits to S Balaji.
    I bolded the relevant portion,not bold in original post.

10. mugundhan

mugundhan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    US Denies Transfer of Critical Technology and F 16 Fighter Production in India

11. randomradio

It's not a revelation here.

We all know ADA has been sanctioned development funds for the LCA Mk2 already. That's not been cut. The funding also includes development of LSPs. As already told here many times, the Mk2 development will continue as is.

So nothing's been cut. However it's as simple as when the time comes to order the SPs, the navy won't clear it. It's because the production of the SP requires navy funding, obviously.

ADA is hoping the IAF and IN will actually place orders for the Mk2 SP, but that's not going to happen.

Blackjay likes this.
  12. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Which alone shows the difference, but you have to add the load limitation of a light class fighter too, to understand that Tejas will never be an MMRCA.
    But as you said correctly, you need to look at the LCA "realistically" and not just by dreaming about capabilities and it never was meant to deliver.

13. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    This is news? We have known this from day one, anyone trying to sell the F-16 (or even Gripen) SE jet deal as a "win" for India's R&D capabilities is talking absolute cr@p.

India will get screwdriver tech and nothing else, considering this is what India has had for decades now it is time to start moving up the value chain and engaging in domestic R&D- supporting another nation's MIC cannot be tolerated anymore if India is serious about becoming a power in its own right.

Parrikar said last year the SE jet deal will ONLY be signed if "signifcant ToT" comes, I truly hope this standard is not diluted, if it isn't then this farce will collapse.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  14. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    There is the chance the IN will (for the reasons I have stated above) and if this SE jet circus is called off then there is every chance the IAF will order the MK.2 also.

15. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Also worth posting, from the same source:

GTRE didn't have a stall, however the ADA guy said Kaveri will eventually see service with both Tejas MK1a n 2 ...currently they are in receipt of 5 f414....on queried regarding the size discrepancy between f414 n Kaveri, he said MK2 s designed in such a way that mountings for both the engines are the same...regarding current status he actually didn't know but was confident it will eventually frutify.... he said the current gov has given a big push....the entire Tejas family of MK1,1a,2 n naval is built around kaveri

Blackjay, Angel Eyes and Grevion like this.