Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

F16, Gripen - Make In India Single Engine Aircraft - News and possibilities

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Averageamerican, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. borg

borg IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    So the IAF will have to be content with a 2nd rate aircraft to cover for the government's failure to generate jobs . They need to get their priorities right. Defense purchases are to defend the nation from enemies not to develop the industry. If the government is smart/capable enough they will achieve both and not at the expense of another. Dassault is a French company and obviously they will have the French interests at top priority .

Angel Eyes likes this.
  2. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

If the F16 will be selected, they have no other option. It's the government that makes the decisions, so fingers crossed for Gripen E.

Nobody offers full ToT, that's just a dream. The question is only who's offer is more beneficial to the industrial improvement of India and I highly doubt that the US will share anything that would be worth it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Ved Mishra likes this.
  3. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    in 1979, we had to buy Jaguars instead of Viggen bcoz US refused the sale of engine to India. Viggen had a US engine.

Ved Mishra and BON PLAN like this.
  4. The enlightened

The enlightened Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

The French aren't providing us any critical ToT anymore. We lost that leverage when we gave them 36 jet direct order.

On the other hand, if we play our cards right, we can get our hands on some nice GaN technology.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...e-surveillance-system-takes-shape-global-6000

Sancho likes this.
  5. ashkum2278

ashkum2278 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Bro! i don' t have an issue with F-16 being chosen, given the abysmal performance of HAL. HAL was supposed to produce 8 birds this year, and i doubt we will get more than 1 bird by the years end. The only issue I have is that we need at least one capable bird which is technologically 4.5+ gen to counter China and we need it in good numbers. Sure we can use F-16 and Tejas to make up numbers, but not at the expense of Rafales. Sure people can argue that F-16 is a 4.5 gen jet, but the reality is that it is nowhere as capable as Rafale. If we go in for F-16 at the expense of Rafale's it would be as good as sabotage and in the long run IAF will be more of a Liability than an Asset.

Angel Eyes likes this.
  6. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

The new order of 36 jets will be for delivery after 2022.

7. randomradio

Yeah. But 25 years later.

Now it is possible that Russia will introduce photonics radar on PAK FA instead of standard AESA and Americans will do that much, much later.

8. randomradio

9. zebra7

zebra7 Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Very optimistic you are. First photonics radar is just a conceptual, and research are going on and we have to wait for it to demonstrate its capability. Second, don't mix Russian with the Soviets -- neither Russians have the budget and the resource to match the West, nor it have any intention to capture Europe.

sunstersun likes this.
  10. kurup

kurup 2nd Lieutant IDF NewBie

I hope none of the US aircraft will get selected .

11. BON PLAN

BON PLAN Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    France
    B1 and/or B2 sure used PESA radar also I think.

12. BON PLAN

Country Flag:
    France
    Don't you think that to have an airworthy Kaveri is gaining a critical technology ?
    I don't think Safran is just replacing the indian high temperature core by a M88 one, as read previously. I think Safran used the indian parts and add the pince of salt to make all parts working together, maybe with some redesign.

If you have a first effective engine, you will be able to developp the family. for AMCA....

13. BON PLAN

Country Flag:
    France
    Yes. And Dassault is already ramping from 11 plane/year to 22.
    There is also the possibility to go further to 33/year (1 per month and per shift).

14. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

And that's why the Gripen E should be the only way to go, but let's see.

15. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France

http://indiandefence.com/threads/f1...-and-possibilities.56222/page-170#post-576929