Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

F16, Gripen - Make In India Single Engine Aircraft - News and possibilities

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Averageamerican, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Metrology

Metrology IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    Very possible, everything I've seen is consistent with that the politicians want a political deal. Tbh, I cant see any other good reason to consider the F16.

Sancho has the gist of it when it comes to export to Pakistan, its rather controversial here. So no need to antagonize, Public opinion is already against it, and so are many politicians. The export rules seems to offer just enough flexibility to be able justify it from a perspective of national security, i.e. supporting SAAB, even though Pakistan most likely dont qualify a suitable state for arms export. My impression is that it's regarded as a necessary evil. If the Indian government demanded it under the table for a Gripen deal I'm quite sure the Swedish government would happily drop Pakistan like a dirty old sock, as it would no longer be in the national security interest. It might happen regardless, the new rules coming through are harder with regards to democratic conditions and human rights violations, though it sounds like they still don't explicitly rule out export to such states.

2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Every tech has a breaking point. You have to reach that point and after that you just take off. India has reached that point in space research and rocket science. What we lack is good seeker tech and EW. We are fast reaching that breakthru point in those fields also and once we do that, our own innovation will drive us to excellence and beat the best in the world. We did that in space and supercomputing, we will do that in weapons also.

3. Metrology

Metrology IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    The PS-5/A radar for Gripen was designed by Ericsson Microwave systems, which SAAB has since bought up. So why not?

4. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

I mean GaN fighter sized radar.

5. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

It depends on volumes.

France buys only 2 squadrons over many years. So DGA has to wait longer before prices come down. But larger countries buy many squadrons every year, so prices will go down due to volumes ordered.

By the time France inducts 28 Rafale F4s, India would have inducted hundreds of aircraft with AESA, 100+ LCAs, 65 Jaguars, 50-80 MKI. That's a lot of AESAs.

GaN's required for so many other purposes also, like EW suites, seekers, comm systems. Then there's the civilian sector.

Gessler and PARIKRAMA like this.
  6. randomradio

Let's hope they get a prototype flying before the field trials. Even if they manage to demonstrate one on a helicopter test bed, it will be good.

7. Metrology

Metrology IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    Agent_47 and randomradio like this.
  8. randomradio

Good if it's already production ready. I think everybody else is assuming its only in the prototype stage.

I hope it's digital.

9. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    Saab Says It Is Ready To Produce GaN Radar Sensor, but it will not because it costs too much :rofl:

10. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    We Indians are replacing the GaA modules with GaN modules in our radars. How can you say it is costly?

11. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    I wait for an operational radar first. For a prototype the cost doesn't matter, every body have prototype with GaN modules, such a radar is easier to build than a GaS one.

12. randomradio

I think Saab will be forced to move their production to India for the GaN modules, perhaps make India the global hub for the radar because of cheap GaN.

There is also a chance that we will choose Saab's GaN radar for LCA. Who knows what's happening there.

13. Metrology

Metrology IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    Well, the actual state of development is something only SAAB really knows of course, but the news is from 2015... I doubt they would go out selling something they weren't at least reasonably close to finish. :)

Regardless, point was I don't see any substantial reason to question their ability in that regard. But time will tell.

No idea, haven't seen much of technical info released yet.

randomradio likes this.
  14. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    Have you seen flight of prototype?

15. randomradio

This is the most important bit, at least on a test bed.