Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

France and Germany Plan New 5th Generation Fighter, is it an Opportunity for India?

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by lca-fan, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Blue Marlin

Blue Marlin 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    if they really needed to they can but its a question of cant and won't and its the latter as there no point going for single venture when it makes more sense to go for a joint venture.

2. Nihar Dash

Nihar Dash IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Namaste India

Sahil ecclstone and Wolfpack like this.
  3. The BrOkEn HeArT

The BrOkEn HeArT 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This is crazy indeed.
    We are loosing the track.
    Why can't we focus on one goal and complete it!!
    France??? WTF?
    They are not ready to give TOT even for Refale then how the hell we can even imagine they will share some advance tech like 'stealth' with us??
    I think we must focus on only PAK FA as India has already been invested some bucks in it.
    We should sit with Russian with cool heads and erase all differences.
    We don't have much time to play "price game" now as first 3 countries are already operating stealth tech in their air forces.

4. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  5. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

If that's not obvious already, the time frame of the project to start with. German Tornados will be replaced around 2035, the first EF's and Rafales get replaced from 2040 onwards. That's why Airbus and Germany were pushing for a joint replacement with a single EU platform, which would include much more fighters, than just sone Tornados and Hornets.
    But now after the French decision, we even have plenty official statements on it:

https://www.lesechos.fr/monde/europ...-tous-azimuts-2102057.php#DPsJVL50VKd4HXDk.99

http://www.defensenews.com/articles...t-billon-on-the-pursuit-of-a-european-defense

6. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    Yes France is not ready to give ToT to India but France is ready to sell it. :sarcastic:

Bbsr likes this.
  7. Sancho

We make it all, but the most part is Russian stuff build under licence of course. Just as FGFA (should be), we are free to integrate and upgrade own parts / systems like new navigation systems, or launchers and would gain from exports as well. Brahmos NG might see a higher Indian involvement, since we are included from the design stage. More such joint developments like Brahmos or Barak 8 would be crucial for India, since it gives us access not only to techs, but to directly participate and learn from other nations. However, that's not what we can hope for with the new European fighter project, since that will be mainly focused on EU countries.

8. Blue Marlin

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    ok, but back to the eu...............you tell me genuinely if india is capable of partnering with the eu?

9. Blue Marlin

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    you frenchies love one thing and thats money!!!! thats how it should be

10. Sancho

No of course not, as I said before, this project will be focused on EU partners and if at all will allow level 2 or 3 external funders like in the F35 case. You pay into the project and get some production participation maybe, but no real partnership.

11. The BrOkEn HeArT

The BrOkEn HeArT 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I don't think Indian defense ministry will buy any other plane apart from Refale from France in future. Its too costly dear.

12. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    It's the cheaper in it's category

13. Blue Marlin

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    thanks my point has been made, thats all that matters

Sancho likes this.
  14. Sancho

There was a confusion created on the key forum as far as I saw it, that the article would state, that Dassault would be the lead of the program, which is wrong.
    The article talks about which country might be in lead for which program and "suggest", that since Germany is in lead of the Eurodrone program, France should lead the fighter program, because "as a country" it already has shown that it can develop a fighter on it's own, via Dassault. The later is in fact the only part where Dassault is mentioned!

It should be remembered, that this is an Airbus project, initiated by the German and Spanish parts, that invited "France" => either Airbus France alone or together with Dassault to join:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...-france-to-join-european-future-fight-438111/

So even if the project will be led by France as a country, it will be Airbus France that will be the leading part, hopefully with Dassault and Saab joining the pack.

15. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    So now it is @Sancho that decides the policy of France. It seemed strange to me that it was he who decided the policy of India, but I was not at the end of my surprises.

randomradio likes this.