Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Future Technologies and how you can help the country with your college stream.

Discussion in 'Education & Research' started by grond, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grond

grond Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Hi I have been absent a long time but still it has done some good, I have had the chance to meet many new people and work with some. Among all the students I have met there seems to be a disconnect from taking up cutting edge projects and somehow settling for run of the mill IT jobs (I have quit mine thank you). People dont belive the simple stuff they read in textbooks is the same thing going on in the most cutting edge of areas. DRDO is trying to wake up and harness the immense student potential in our country. Also I have noticed many people from a college going background contributing to this forum.
    So I hope this bridges the gap as I shall try to take a crash course of how what you read in your textbook may very well be your passion.

I will take up each course in Engineering and elaborate ( this I hope interested readers will convert to projects and come up well).

Firstly, Communication- A radar is a glorified cellphone tower period. Trends in the industry are calling for lower wavelenghts and consequently higher frequencies.Actually most AESA radars aremore microwaves than radars. Miniaturising electronics and going for smaller gate dies is the way forward. Interested people can read up on Nanolithography(It will be big).

Mechanical, A career as a design engineer HAL are apparently in need of good ones. Research wise you can explore smart materials and take up stability research in aerospace.

Electronics, Quantum computers are going to revolutionise the defence field, but more than that quantum sensors are going to throw it upside down. First set of quantum sensors are already making its way into the IRST of the Pak-FA and its a pretty early hybrid, advances in QWIP technology is going to rewrite BVR doctrines.

Computer Science, For you guys its fairly simple just three things Big data-as sensors get more accurate and photodiode matrices get bigger. Heuristic Algorithms- As a quicker response time descision taking engine in planes and ships. Artificial Intelligence- As a longer response time but smarter control solution for military vehicles.

The DRDO doesnt turn down good student projects but the glory period lasts only as long as you are a student, please use your college years fruitfully for yourself and your country.

PS : I am not saying don't party, please do it is the best time in your life for that. I know I graduated last year only. And no one can deny that I didnt party like an animal.

PPS: Its actually venting of my frustration. I have seen many people waste their time and start blaming the world, everyone wants to do something extraordinary but no one wants to take the initiative, If you are reading this and you are a college student please dont think of yourself as dumb and resign your self to a white collar life. The trait that we all share in this forum is that we are all patriotic. Please use that patriotism to improve the quality of Indian Engineers. And no blaming your college too.

1 person likes this.
  2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    [MENTION=9175]grond[/MENTION] Is this post anyway providing more information about Scientific news or is it from any ref or is it your View point/Expereience. If it is latter i think member section would be a better location for this thread.

3. Chanakya's_Chant

Chanakya's_Chant 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

[MENTION=9175]grond[/MENTION] sir what about aerospace/aeronautical engineering????

4. grond

Please move it where you see fit.
    Its sorta both I guess.

1 person likes this.
  5. grond

It depends on where you want to go. If its commercial aeroplanes then blended body dynamics is a very upcoming area. If its military aerodynamics you can look at hypersonic control surfaces for missiles or you can collaborate with a friend from some other dept for researching in Active Aeroelastic wings(My current area) both will do well.
    And please dont call me sir.

6. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Well i have a Passion for History, Robotics, Scala Servers, Anti-Matter, Space Exploration.

Anything projects interesting for these ?

7. grond

You are not a college student I'm afraid.. :sad:But if you know Scala you would do well for hardware intergration of multiple neuron processors Neural network. Its a big stepping step for AI. and if you manage to inegrate it with a robot I'm sure there would be atleast someone in DRDO who would take notice...

1 person likes this.
  8. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm in nanotechnology, mainly in the field of lithography and compound semiconductor.

1 person likes this.
  9. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Well you are apt. But DRDO is not yet efficient enough to work with us.

10. grond

Actually there are quite good scientists in DRDO but its their legacy corporate 9 to 5 culture that is killing them... My friend works there he is the same age as me,22,and I can tell you he is doing quite good work there.. Stuff which you never thought DRDO was capable of.. Also DRDO dont back their scientists and are content at saving their asses.. This makes many people apprehensive about coming forward with radical ideas.. So the people there are cursing their luck.. If you do make anything worthwhile I am sure there will be some scientists who will have the balls to give credence to your claims.. I saw a few examples myself, In KHER also..So they are better off supporting student Ideas .. Thats why i urge students to bring some change into the dead system...

11. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    As much as you vouch for them. I would say they are top heavy. More than innovation there is politics. If there is any politics in organizations it is never gonna encourage new ideas. My organization pretty much works on teams point to point contacts. Responsibility is our prime concerns. Everyone is free to work on any new ideas until certain limits of funding more than that they need approvals, where the theory is vetted out with experts then project is allotted required funds to proceed with free hands.

With DRDO they lack efficiency and managing capabilities. Well my experience is close to 20 years, i have never seen such defense organization which conveniently points fingers for their failures. If DRDO has to change the top heads has to thinned down. Responsible persons has to head, in any organization a responsible head is required for it to excel more than technical.

That system is dead it has to wither out. Any attempts to revive it is futile as these top guys have deep hands of influence.

12. grond

Exactly we are both doing the same thing, We are blaming the culture of DRDO that is against the neccesity for which it was instituted ... I am just an optimist seeing some gold in the torrent of shit... If you go through my earlier comments om earlier threads you'll know what I think of DRDO as an organization...
    Yes the top brass are to full of themselves, but we cant just sit back and let these loons crap all over us.. Small things can make big changes.. I refused to go for a foreign MS and quit my white collar cush job.. i have started a company that aims to provide a wide range of engineering solutions.. I am also getting a patent for a defence related application.. So I hope to implement that in a product preferably a low cost highly survivable UAV..
    Be the change you want to see..

1 person likes this.
  13. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    My best wishes in your venture.

MoD has to take a note of these failures and encourage SME's to produce parts of their requirements. MoD wants a scapegoat so they are convienently giving responsibilities to DRDO knowing that they are inefficient.

Biggest problem is once established and you tend to grow, that is when you have to think on the values you set when you started.

1 person likes this.
  14. grond

I am setting a framework by which all of us have to swear over a bottle of whisky that you'll never stop having fun ..by that way we ensure that we never get too serious and still retain the Small guys mentality

1 person likes this.
  15. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    You will grow if you can maintain the humility and commitment. :tup:
    The problems you will face in future would like dejection, jealousy, lax. These are the biggest hurdles in growth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.