Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Garud Commando Force

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Gessler, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    5. Rifles

Calibre: 7.62mm

Effective Range : Greater than or equal to 300m

Accuracy: Single shot/Automatic Fire

Sighting System: Flip up/ rotating, front and rear, iron sight with luminous tip.

Firing Mechanism: Safe, single and auto mode

Rate of Fire: More than or equal to 600 rds/min

Reliability: Not more than one Class I or Class II stoppage and no Class III stoppage in a firing cycle of 2400 rds.

Ammunition: Be able to fire 7.62 mm ammunition.

Shelf Life: More than or equal to 10 years

Life of Barrel: More than or equal to 10000 rds

2. Bregs

Bregs Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Indian majors in heavy auto vehicles like Mahindras and TATA needs to to tighten there belt if they are to attain international standards in such vehicles

Abingdonboy and Ankit Kumar 001 like this.
  3. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Totally agree. Those open Gypsys although looks classy in IAF blue but provides zero protection against any threat. Not the kind you want your SFs to travel in.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  4. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I am hoping that a new handgun should adopted by Indian Ordinance factory board.

Going glock would be a step back imo. The Indian Auto 9 is actually a Browning Hi power, pretty much the dad of all low bore wonder nines. If any thing the natural successor to would be the CZ75 or the Jericho 941.

Sathya and Ankit Kumar 001 like this.
  5. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Isn't the glock the prefered side arm option for most Western law enforcement and special units? Why would it be a "step back"?

6. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    I am not exactly a expert at guns, but Hi Power is dead accurate for what's it made and is as reliable as the latest 9mm's if not more.

7. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    And Hi Power is still the standard side arm of Australian Armed forces [One of the worlds best equipped ] , Canadian Armed forces and Israeli Special Forces.

Hi Power will easily survive 100 years more in its same avatar.

8. Fox

Fox Supreme Overlord FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Maybe having to retrain or get accustom to a different feel? But the Glock 17 is smaller, lighter and holds more round then the Hi Power and its just as, if not more accurate. I don't consider it a step down. Both are excellent sidearms.

I'm biased though, since the P80 is our standard issue sidearm and is being modernized to the Glock 17 Gen 4 standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    If not G17 , what would be the choice between P226 and CZ75 , keeping in mind that its to replace Hi Power ?

10. Fox

Country Flag:
    Norway
    I own three firearms. A TRG-42 that my dad gave me as a "I'm not mad at you anymore" gift.

[​IMG]

A Mossberg 590A1 i bought post 2011 as a home defense weapon - now highly regulated.
    [​IMG]

And a SIG P226 Legion:D.
    [​IMG]

I've got a pretty biased view of the P226 which is a great weapon.

We're talking a commando unit here, the Garud. They're likely going to have customized variants to fit their needs and you really can't go wrong with either the P226 or CZ75. They're large, powerful, accurate guns. A bit bigger then the Glock 17 and definitely beefier, but also very reliable no-frills weapons. Neither's a bad choice and honestly, it's really just a matter of preference.

11. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    NNIICCEE!!!!

BUT

[​IMG]

Im Still getting my head around this as a HOME DEFENCE WEAPON-:D a bit over killed no? what is the load out? ... and also in what way is it regulated?

12. Fox

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Given our circumstance? Yeah, it's probably overkill since assualt rifles, sub-machine guns and shotguns aren't very commonplace in Norway. Hunting rifles like the TRG-42, a civilian modified .338 sniper rifle, are actually very common and that particular model is very popular as a seal hunting rifle. I don't hunt myself, but do get some time on trigger every year with it.

But given the lack of large caliber rifles and shotguns, owning a shotgun myself probably eclipses most of what people have in their arsenal. Then again, when it comes to defending my house and family, I'd use a freaking howitzer if it meant we were safe.

Pretty typical build. Mossberg standard ghost ring sights, extra ATI shell holders on the stock (folding stock as well) making it 8+1 ready and an extra 12 on standby. I have a clamp flashlight holder attached, but don't usually have a flashlight installed. A sling from Blackhawk, slip on recoil pad and a heat shield round out the goodies. In the end the gun looks more like this then the pic above, just minus the flashlight.

[​IMG]

I have a choke for accommodating slugs and darts, but prefer shot so I don't use it much.

Post 2011, during which the Utoya Attack took place, it's nearly impossible to get a waiver for large caliber firearms including high capacity shotguns, assault rifles (full completely restricted, semi-semi restricted) or semi-auto sniper rifles.

Most weapons you find in Norway are either bolt action sniper rifles with reduced ammo capacity, crack action shotguns or pistols, which just require a license. Semi-auto weapons are forbidden during hunts too, so people tend to find them less useful to own given their lack of utility during the average Norwegian year.

To get larger weapons you need special permission. It just so happens my dad's a Brigadier General, mom a Parliamentarian and myself connected to the defense industry meaning I've got a valid reason (work, we frequent military bases like Camp Rena a lot) and friends in high places that have afforded me the means to acquire a waiver. I do need to reapply every year for a waiver and recertify my firearms license, so it's a bit of a hassle honestly.

Still worth it.

GuardianRED likes this.
  13. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Glocks are highly reliable and accurate firearms. (also a bit bland imo)

Step back in my opinion because the natural successor to the Hi Power would be CZ75 based platform.

Ankit Kumar 001 likes this.
  14. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The certification test , what does one be certified for , just weapons handling ? or since in are connected to the defense industry - marksmanship?

15. Zer0reZ

Zer0reZ 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    India's Defense Ministry issued a request for information (RFI) from arms manufacturers, aiming to beef up the Garud Commando Force, a special unit of the Indian Air Force (IAF).

New Delhi (Sputnik) — Suppliers will have to respond to the IAF by July 8. The RFIs suggest the IAF will recruit 8,000-10,000 more people for the Garud force to protect 54 IAF base stations. The terror attack on Pathankot air base last year forced India to provide advanced weapons and equipment to the IAF commandos.

[​IMG]

The request points to likely acquisition of 50-60 armored vehicles along with military equipment to protect its personnel during operations. The IAF needs a 5-meter-long vehicle with a crew capacity of six for its special forces. Among other specifications, the IAF has demanded a minimum 350-kilometer operating range with a speed of 100 kmph on a level highway. The vehicles will be designed in such a way that the Garud forces would be able to mount and fire a 5.56mm light machine gun.

The IAF will also equip its commandos with 600 7.62mm rifles with sights and accessories and 200 40mm under-barrel grenade launcher compatible with it.

Garud Commando Force will also receive approximate 1,800 sub-machine guns and 2,000 9mm pistols, according to the RFI issued by the Indian Air Force.