Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Garud Commando Force

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Gessler, Mar 2, 2015.

1. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    who would be the likely contenders/ winners for these?
    A country that has robust Auto manufacturing industry still does not have a world class APC or MRAP.

2. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Another thing I thought about when I read the headline was, what about Ballistic Missiles? In a lot of conflict assessments or strength/weakness comparisons I read of India vs. China, I find frequent mention of China's ballistic missile batteries which could be used "swarm" style to render Indian air bases nonfunctional.

What steps if any, is India taking or planning on taking to deal with that issue?

3. Zer0reZ

Zer0reZ 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I don't know much but for armored vehicle Tata, Mahindra, Ashok Leyland could be contender and i think they are competing for other tender too. There is TATA-DRDO Kestrel and OFB MPV also. Army also issued RFI for 600 7.62 mm rifles too.

We got BMD and S-400 will be coming in 2020 for ballistic missiles and various SAMs like Akash SPYDER, MR-SAM for other aerial threats.

4. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised anymore if you claim to have a Schwerer Gustav tucked in your closet. :laugh: only thing i own is a ruger mark IV, its a toy gun compared to yours. :blink:

5. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The RFI states only Indian companies will be considered. As far as world class APCs and MRAPs go, TATA is pretty solid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also quite like the up-armorued Mahindra Axe:

[​IMG]

Remember the whole point of FICV is to create a world class product from within India for the IA, let's see what emerges on that front in a few years..

It will be interesting to see what vehicle the Garuds end up choosing, it will likely be something quite special when you look at the specs they are asking for and the PARA (SF) will likely follow them and select the same vehicle at some point down the road too.

bharathp likes this.
  6. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    But thoses gypsys are the only once that fit into a mi17 heli to attack enemy airfields rite? Or are there any other options to take that role? @Abingdonboy

7. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    AFAIK the RFI doesn't say about being able to fit inside a Mi-17 but being able to be underslung from an Mi-17

8. defc0n

defc0n 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    India's Ministry of Defence (MoD) has invited responses by 8 July from foreign and domestic suppliers on its planned acquisition of 7.62 mm rifles, sub-machine guns (SMGs), and pistols for the Indian Air Force's (IAF's) Garud special forces.

The MoD has also issued requests for information (RFIs) about the potential supply of night-vision devices and armoured vehicles to equip 10 additional Garud battalions totalling 8,000-10,000 personnel.

The IAF's Garud units currently number some 1,200 personnel. The supplementary forces are part of an MoD plan to enhance security at 54 IAF bases across India following the 1 January 2016 militant strike on the Pathankot airfield, in which seven Indian soldiers were killed.

Source : http://www.janes.com/article/71329/...aponry-and-equipment-for-garud-special-forces

Levina likes this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    This marks a significant moment for the Garuds, they will now have to earn their swagger:

...Garud commandos - the special forces of the Indian Air Force - who were first to interdict the terrorist on January 2, 2016, will now be deployed along the Indian Army in counter-terror operations in Jammu and Kashmir. "The Garuds are a competent force, but they need to battle hardened. Based on the inquiry report the government has decided to deploy them in Jammu and Kashmir for battle inoculation," top sources said.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...k-airbase-commander-resignation/1/983201.html

Now all 3 Indian SFs will be deployed on the ground in J&K and will undertake counter-terror combat ops, perhaps this will also see the tri-service SOCOM proposal progress (I'm not confident of that though)?

@Ankit Kumar 001 @Gessler @PARIKRAMA @bharathp @Levina @Sancho @MilSpec @Agent_47 @nair @Vergennes @randomradio @Sathya @lca-fan @Blackjay @Bloom 17

10. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    i get nervous when too many forces act in the same location - politics and Indians doesnt go well. it may screw up inter org relations as well.

Levina likes this.
  11. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    MARCOs have been operating alongside PARA (SF) teams in J&K for almost 2 decades now, I don't think there is much risk in adding the Garuds to the mix and the benefits (giving these guys real world combat exposure) outweighs such risks anyway IMHO.

Bloom 17, Levina and Blackjay like this.
  12. Levina

Levina Colonel on stilettos ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Seriously?
    Is this old news?
    Garuds if I'm not wrong have been operating alongside Army SF in J&K since long, to gain operational exposure ofcourse. For this reason teams from the flights are attached to army SF units.