General Electric F414 Enhanced Performance Engine F414-EPE

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by midgetman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. midgetman

midgetman FULL MEMBER

GE Brings Good Things To Hornet, Gripen
    Posted by Bill Sweetman at 4/21/2011 7:53 AM CDT
    If the Pentagon leadership is successful in its goal of shutting dwon the Joint Strike Fighter's F136 alternate engine program (and may I add that if they brought such zeal and sense of purpose to bear on other issues, the world might be a better place, but I digress) there will be an important consequence: the JSF program will acquire a new and powerful enemy, in the form of General Electric.

Evidence of this trend may be coming to light. At yesterday's roll-out of the 500th Super Hornet/Growler, Boeing program vice-president Kory Mathews confirmed that the F414 Enhanced Performance Engine would be the baseline for the company's offer to India. The idea of the engine has been around for some time, but GE is clearly ready to commit the funds necessary to make the engine a reality.

More details of the engine have been disclosed. It has a new core, based on demonstrations conducted with US government funds in 2004 and 2006, and a redesigned fan and compressor. A third test engine was run in 2010. All the new components use three-dimensional aerodynamics -- that is, more swept, twisted blades -- using technology that has been used on other engines since the F414 was designed 20 years ago.

blog post photo

GE rates the new components at a technology readiness level (TRL) of 6 (indicating successful prototype testing) and notes that it has developed 17 new or derivative engines successfully from the same TRL.

The new engine offers up to a 20 percent thrust boost. That would take the EPE up to 26,500 pounds of thrust, giving it the best thrust/weight ratio of any fighter engine -- almost 11:1. Alternatively (an option understood to be attracting interest at Saab) the EPE could be delivered with a 10 percent uprate and very generous temperature margins, extending its life and reducing fighter life-cycle costs.

The EPE "will not make much difference at an air show", says Boeing chief test pilot Ric Traven, but dramatically improves the fighter's performance at high speed and altitude, halving supersonic acceleration times. For the Gripen, the extra thrust would translate into further-improved supercruise (supersonic level flight without afterburner) capability.

:smokin:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. midgetman

midgetman FULL MEMBER

India picks GE's F414 for Tejas MkII fighter
    By Craig Hoyle

General Electric has defeated the Eurojet consortium in a contest to provide the engine for a new version of India's long-delayed Tejas light combat aircraft.

The US manufacturer has won a deal to supply 99 F414-INS6 turbofans for the Tejas MkII, following a selection decision by India's Aeronautical Development Agency.

"GE Aviation will supply the initial batch of engines and the rest will be manufactured in India under a transfer of technology arrangement," says GE India chief executive John Flannery in a 1 October statement.

"The F414-INS6 is the highest-thrust F414 model and includes state-of-the-art technology to meet India's demanding air force and naval requirements," GE says. This includes full authority digital engine control software.

India had requested bids to provide a more powerful engine for the next version of its Tejas lightweight fighter, and shortlisted proposals on both the new version of the F414 - a type which powers Boeing's F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and Saab's Gripen NG demonstrator - and the Eurofighter Typhoon's Eurojet EJ200.

New Delhi has previously ordered 41 less-powerful GE F404 engines to power early examples of the Tejas, while plans to field the Gas Turbine Research Establishment's indigenous Kaveri have suffered numerous delays.
  3. midgetman

midgetman FULL MEMBER

Damm i knew India was ordering the GE 414 for the mark 2 Hal Tejas, but i didnt realize they were ordering a derivative of the Enhanced Performance Engine. o_0
    that thing and has an insane amount of thrust to begin with, rated at 120kN!!! and we are supposed to be getting a derivative of that, which is supposed to the Highest 414 engine created the F414-GE-INS6, so in assuming an aircraft with 120+kN? add to the fact that the Tejas is the lightest figher aircraft.. this is a mind boggling amount of thrust. the aircraft will have a crazy thrust to weight ratio. :wacko: my mind is blown :suicide:

to put this in perspective... the jf-17 is set to use the RD-93, which only produces 84 kN of thrust. you do the math..
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    5 people like this.
  4. midgetman

midgetman FULL MEMBER

1 person likes this.
  5. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye SENIOR MEMBER

The decisions being taken by the MoD and IAF of late, sluggish as they seemingly are; are very well considered and fully analysed. Case in point; the purchase of C-17s, C-130s and P-8is. Actually this trend started with the project to create an unique Su-30 MKI around the Su-30 platform. This is likely to continue into the Attack Helicopter, Heavy Helicopter and MRCA deals. But let us wait for that yet.
  6. flanker143

flanker143 SENIOR MEMBER

^^ fe 414 in56 might be a derivative of epe but nothing has been confirmed yet.....plus i'am having this bad feeling that the ones we will be getting won't be the epe's.
  7. midgetman

midgetman FULL MEMBER

well let me quote the official.. "Boeing program vice-president Kory Mathews confirmed that the F414 Enhanced Performance Engine would be the baseline for the company's offer to India."

""The F414-INS6 is the highest-thrust F414 model and includes state-of-the-art technology to meet India's demanding air force and naval requirements," GE says. This includes full authority digital engine control software."
  8. @speaks

@speaks SENIOR MEMBER

9. flanker143

flanker143 SENIOR MEMBER

the statements were made in different contexts::

the first one was made for the use ge414 epe on f 18sh which was on offer for the mmrca competition....

the second one indeed says that it is for mk2 but nowhere it says that it will be epe or a epe derivative.....
  10. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD SENIOR MEMBER

I guess by EPE engine,MK-2's T/W ratio will be 1+.
  11. flanker143

flanker143 SENIOR MEMBER

yess surely it will be , but only if get the epe version.....which is unlikely.
  12. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt ELITE MEMBER

The F414s ordered by IAF for Tejas Mk II are not the EPE derivatives. They will have a thrust of 98 KN. The EPE variant was for the F-18E/F on offer in MRCA competition.
  13. flanker143

flanker143 SENIOR MEMBER

even the mk2 acc to me will be slightly underpowered......one can easily say good bye to twr greater than one even for mk2

Sorry to say but even ge414 won't cut it.
  14. Rudrakx

Rudrakx SENIOR MEMBER

GE F414 Engines Selected to Power India Light Combat Aircraft Program
    It's confirmed that it's not F414-EPE. 1st F414 was launched in 1998 which has thrust 98KN, if go by above article it suggests that F414-GE-INS6 definitely has thrust more than 98KN.
    I read somewhere that the F414 that was on offer to India for MK II has thrust 108 KN, but i can't find the link.
  15. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD SENIOR MEMBER

Can't we change our order now if possible?????
    We don't mind spending few more millions if we are getting a damn good engine:yes4::agree: